York Races

Poor 1st day; but hope springs eternal.:)

1.40 Queen's Order 20/1 ew
2.10 Silence Please 7/2 nap
2.40 Johan 9/1.
All B365

Queen Power is surely a non stayer in the Middleton. Can't make my mind up about an alternative. Silence Please makes the most sense I guess but the 7/2 Reet got has well gone.

Matthew Flinders is very solid in the Hambleton. Not suited by track position in the Spring Cup his win at Donny last Autumn suggests he's still well handicapped.

Last edited:
Mostly a watching day for me, I think. Torn between Shelir (who was mugged on the line last time) and Matthew Flinders in the 2:40. MF’s main target is Ascot and the Hunt Cup so I plumped for the other one.

Polish is a interesting one in the last. He runs off 76 for this but his hurdle exploits have taken him to 130 in that sphere. On the basis of the rule of thumb 35 difference that would put him at 95 on the flat. Around 20 well in then :lol:

I've gone in early for tomorrow's 1.40 with Copper Knight at 8/1. He's been a barge-pole horse for me for some time but I liked the way he ran last week and if that was a sign of a return to some sort of form then we're getting 8/1 about an even money shot. He was rated 106 through most of 2019 and was put back up to that mark after his seasonal return last year but things started going downhill after that and he ended up dropping to 84. Dunted back up a negligible pound after Chester, the old Copper Knight would leave this field for dead. The top weight in this race is rated only 100 but has to give him 15lbs. He either wins easily or blows out and at the price I'm happy to pay to find out.

Well done. Glad you won!

Had to record yesterday’s racing as I was reporting at our local Point to Point evening meeting....and yes I got absolutely soaked! Try interviewing winning connections and writing on wet paper. I did use pencil but it’s a nightmare to decipher this morning despite drying out my book (apparently you can get special clipboards that have a plastic cover so I think I need to invest). What was nice was that Paul Nicholls turned up to watch both his runners (owned not trained) and was more than happy to chat afterwards. His Virak won the Ladies Open and if he stays sound (had leg problems) is the likely ride for Paul’s daughter Olive to start her race riding career.

Sorry drifted off topic...meant to say glad I didn’t watch it after reading about Molatham.

Last edited:
08/05/202120:40:49
.Zarzyni 13/2...lost without a run
.Zoffarelli 12/1...lost without a run
.Copper Knight 10/1 won
.Jeroboam 15/8 lost
.Joan Of Arc 6/1 won
.Bolshoi Ballet 13/8 won
.Call Me Sweetheart 6/1 lost
.Sir William Bruce 11/2 won
.The Mediterranean 10/3 won
.Brunch 6/1.....????

Trebles, 120 bets * £0.50
Stake £60.00
Do I cash out ?

Just cashed it...no brainer..they were offering just under £900 more to except..Just over a £1000 more if I let it ride and it won

Last edited:
Bad bad day. I saw Acklam Express in a muck sweat and rather than looking for an alternative I place laid the thing. Winter Power I was really impressed with when he beat Method last back end but I didn't click the form today (last minute) and there's so many frigging Power's knocking about the name just did not click. Nearly as bad as Hamdan's for name fuckery.

Three horses tomorrow that suffered much interference in their last race and looked as though they would otherwise have featured:

Primo Bacio 2:10 early price 14/1

See https://www.talkinghorses.co.uk/for...ning-Flat-2021&p=755814&viewfull=1#post755814

Blue Cup 2:40 early price 11/4

Epsom 20/4 City and Surburban

Blue Cup having his first start since August, raced keenly, well off the modest pace, and got no run at all in the straight. Ryan Moore was only able to nudge him along, continually finding traffic, before having to ease off completely late on. He'll have gone into a few notebooks.

Farhan 4:50 early price 5/1

Salisbury 5/5

Blew the start and lost two or three lengths, but was in no hurry to recover ground and raced in rear until picking up 2 furlongs out. Ridden 1 out and challenged winner strongly last 110 yds, but went down by a nose with the rest well away. Out again just before handicapper can have his say.

Last edited:
York 2.10 - I've had a pop at Divine Light at 18/1. The ratings, on the face of it, are basically those of Class 2/3 handicappers but most of these will probably prove much better than that and there isn’t really any way of knowing which will improve the most. There was a clamour for Snow Lantern (13/8) to be supplemented for the Guineas so she’s an obvious market leader. Divine Light's reappearance was in the Nell Gwynn, a G3, for which she was only 13/2, only a half-point longer than the winner Sacred who went on to run well in the Guineas. Saffron Beach was runner-up in both races. Nothing went right for her that day and this is a drop in class . The first-time hood might help a lot and she might just be over-priced.

I thought about backing her in the market without Snow Lantern but they were only going two places.

Last edited:
Well done, Reet.

Your a classic example of a man who enjoys winning on the flat, and I bet you'd rather take that, than spending all winter backing odds on jolly's anti post in champion chases that end up getting turned over. :)

What a shrewdie you are.

A nice person as well.

Last edited:
Happy for you, Reet.

Ps, I was referring to myself in the above post.

I remember once thinking the jumps was the right medium to bet on, but I'm increasingly think its the other way around.

The flat can be tough though if a losing run creeps in, I find.

Good luck tomorrow all.

Last edited:
Happy for you, Reet.

Ps, I was referring to myself in the above post.

I remember once thinking the jumps was the right medium to bet on, but I'm increasingly think its the other way around.

The flat can be tough though if a losing run creeps in, I find.

Good luck tomorrow all.

I've always liked the jumps but I went through my betting history once and found I was more profitable on the flat.

That doesn't surprise me, Outsider.

You are true to your name on the flat, you've picked a good few outsiders and winners over the years. I think you have a good following.

I don’t bet to win. I just have an account so that I can back steamers, tips from people on forums or racing radio, sometimes from races I’ve studied. All I aim to do is break even. But during lockdown I used up all the money in my account (which isn’t much), which has never happened before. I’ve since realised that it only seems to work with flat racing. And I hate to admit that even to myself.

Back