York

That's an interesting race. I have it in my mind that Olympic Glory is overrated and want to oppose him. But Soft Falling Rain needs decent ground.

ES QUE LOVE in the clipper manana, is overpriced once again, although I imagine Cox will pull (did so for the Cammidge) if the ground does not firm up. took NRNB of 16-1 E/W with 365 this morning. What is the forecast in the UK for York tomorrow ?

If it stays soft it would surely be very difficult to kick Jack Dexter out of the frame from stall 1.

Interesting that Goldie doesn't seem to like the draw. I thought that low was favoured for soft at York.

Last edited:
If it stays soft it would surely be very difficult to kick Jack Dexter out of the frame from stall 1.

Interesting that Goldie doesn't seem to like the draw. I thought that low was favoured for soft at York.

Draw's generally fair at York, and Turftrax showing very little difference right across.
JG's concerned about the draw because Jack Dexter's on the outside, but he's close to a number of pace horses, so it shouldn't be a problem. His record on sft/hvy makes fascinating reading,viz; 111111213. :).
Hi There has a cracking chance in the first, and though a double figure price, it's difficult to see him out of the places.

Mezzotint is e/w value in the second race.
One blow out last time on Soft at Donnie where he did not perform, but I wouldn't apportion that to the bad ground, probably just that he needed the run.
His sire Diamond Green won on Soft when he had the opportunity in France.
Mezzotint got beat just a quarter of a length to Ayaar last year giving that horse 6 pounds; Ayaar was of course was 4th in Victoria Cup on Saturday. This is admittedly a stab in the dark, but possibly an educated guess also! The form with Ayaar looks good

Last edited:
Dexter looks good but Astaire is the one for me. Clearly a top sprinter, weight, course and distance perfect. Cliff horse.

Hope low draw works in the first as Hi There is attractive as is Rye House .

STORM KING looks to have a squeak in the first. He should have come on for his last run and goes on the ground. 25/1 looks bit of e/w value.

Only three of this field interest me. Awake My Soul (14/1 best this morning) isn’t quite handicapped to win but could still win if nothing else improves or rediscovers old form. Lahaag (9/1) might be the one to improve past him with the stable in such good form. He was touched off in this race last year and showed slightly better form later on in a light campaign. Clever Cookie (10/1) picked up a maiden to get into this. He rather fell out of the stalls that day, allowed the runner-up first run and still won without Lee having to get too serious, and the front two were still putting distance between themselves and the others at the line. He was officially on 148 over hurdles towards the end of the season so, while that maiden wouldn’t put him in here with a winning chance, if he can translate his jumps form back to the flat he could be a bit of a blot. I intend to back both him and Lahaag. Morning favourite Rye House looks a Royal Ascot plot so I’ll be keeping half an eye on him too.

I have Jack Dexter (11/2) and Tropics (12/1) clear of the rest and both go in soft but the latter is clearly the better value. I’ll probably back him and save on Jack Dempster.

JG's concerned about the draw because Jack Dexter's on the outside, but he's close to a number of pace horses, so it shouldn't be a problem. His record on sft/hvy makes fascinating reading,viz; 111111213. :).

Needless to say, the only two times I've backed Jack Dempster were...

Only three of this field interest me. Awake My Soul (14/1 best this morning) isn’t quite handicapped to win but could still win if nothing else improves or rediscovers old form. Lahaag (9/1) might be the one to improve past him with the stable in such good form. He was touched off in this race last year and showed slightly better form later on in a light campaign. Clever Cookie (10/1) picked up a maiden to get into this. He rather fell out of the stalls that day, allowed the runner-up first run and still won without Lee having to get too serious, and the front two were still putting distance between themselves and the others at the line. He was officially on 148 over hurdles towards the end of the season so, while that maiden wouldn’t put him in here with a winning chance, if he can translate his jumps form back to the flat he could be a bit of a blot. I intend to back both him and Lahaag. Morning favourite Rye House looks a Royal Ascot plot so I’ll be keeping half an eye on him too.

Clever Cookie is an interesting one. His handicap mark looks stiff enough based on his win in a Doncaster Maiden last time out. That was over 12 furlongs but the way he traveled suggests the drop back to 10 furlongs shouldn't pose a problem. The horse he beat into second could turn out to be a decent sort but either the trip, ground or combination of both probably beat the rest. That won't be the case today where he faces plenty of established handicappers who will act in the conditions. The lack of a natural front runner in the race could complicate things if he is ridden from well off the pace like he was at Doncaster and, given the stamina on his dam's side, it's questionable whether he will have the immediate change of gear at this trip if this is not run at a generous pace. He has a very progressive profile and it's not unreasonable to expect further improvement in this sphere but he was fit from hurdling before that last outing and there are some in opposition who have claims to have as much potential to move forward.

He has claims in a very open race, and a victory wouldn't surprise, but there's little doubt that he will have to improve to win. His price has some e/w mileage but there are arguably some at bigger odds who appeal just as much.

ES QUE LOVE in the clipper manana, is overpriced once again, although I imagine Cox will pull (did so for the Cammidge) if the ground does not firm up. took NRNB of 16-1 E/W with 365 this morning. What is the forecast in the UK for York tomorrow ?

if not impeded at the end it may have won, good shout

How did Maarek start at that price ?
His last time 12/1 odds with soft in the going was a 24 runner handicap in 2011 and he was hardly hiding under a bush since.
As a racing buddy of mine says it is because there are NO punters left since Tim O Toole died and he retired !
(TOT was a Edenderry based solicitor who once settled a high court case in time to helicopter to the races to get a bet on in the 1970s! He seemingly sold Cill Dara to JP before her second Irish Cesarewitch win)

Last edited:
Back