Yorkshire Oaks

Surely they will not supplement her after that . From what Willoughby said she was not observed to be in season before the race .

I just fear she is another horse flattered by winning a Curragh classic in mud .

Bell seemed keen on going for the race on RUK afterwards but accepted she is suited more by soft ground. I imagine that will dictate the rest of her campaign.

Why in the 10mins or so from leaving the parade ring & returning from the race does it become obvious that a horse is in season?

Surely if its that obvious they would have noticed?

I may have read somewhere that it isn't always obvious and that the exertions of racing can sometimes accelerate the physical process of coming into season.

I may have read somewhere that it isn't always obvious and that the exertions of racing can sometimes accelerate the physical process of coming into season.

That no doubt has some truth to it, although it seems a bit dramatic to go from no sign to "heavily in season" in a space of a few minutes. Surely they pay some sort of attention to this sort of thing. Horses in the past have been reported as "coming into season" ahead of a race, by way of warning.

I was watching her on the telly in the parade ring just before the race, and for a second it crossed my mind that she may have been in season; I only remembered thinking it when they said so after the race. She may be the sort of filly that doesn't behave differently when she's in season [and judgeing by her placid disposition I would assume she is].

I was watching her on the telly in the parade ring just before the race, and for a second it crossed my mind that she may have been in season; I only remembered thinking it when they said so after the race. She may be the sort of filly that doesn't behave differently when she's in season [and judgeing by her placid disposition I would assume she is].

I think the trainer is being very quick to jump on this as a reason for her loss....quotes that it must have lead to her defeat or a performance 10lbs below her best has absolutely not basis or solid foundation if the sole excuse is that she was in season.

An example of a horse running right up to form when in season is Peeping Fawn. Connections announced before the Irish Oaks that she was coming into season - she bolted in.

I read in the RP about the drug regumate(SP) that is given to fillies in other countries, its like the equine version of the contraceptive pill & stops them coming into season, its a banned drug over here but I really don't see the problem,

After all we geld colts etc & its not like we can do the same with fillies is it?

Long Lashes was in season the other week when she bolted up at Newmarket too. Isn't always a negative.

Prolonged use of Regumate is not to be recommended. Regumate is in use here and isn't banned - only banned with regard to not being permitted to race with traces in the system.

Fillies/mares get weight allowances for sex, as well as age, so whether or not a filly is in season shouldn't matter, becauses allowances are made for them already.

Fillies usually cycle very regularly, even when in strong work, so it's perfectly possible to plan round this if it really affects their performance in a negative fashion - even if it may mean having to miss a top race. Or they take their chances regardless..

Incidentally, the analogy with regard to gelding is a poor one - if you don't want to have an in-season filly, then perform a double ovarectomy - that will have the same end result as castrating a colt....

Entires of either sex have to battle their hormones when racing - it's just the way it is and interfering with that may result in many more cases of impaired fertility..

Last edited:
Prolonged use of Regumate is not to be recommended. Regumate is in use here and isn't banned - only banned with regard to not being permitted to race with traces in the system.

Fillies/mares get weight allowances for sex, as well as age, so whether or not a filly is in season shouldn't matter, becauses allowances are made for them already.

Fillies usually cycle very regularly, even when in strong work, so it's perfectly possible to plan round this if it really affects their performance in a negative fashion - even if it may mean having to miss a top race. Or they take their chances regardless..

Incidentally, the analogy with regard to gelding is a poor one - if you don't want to have an in-season filly, then perform a double ovarectomy - that will have the same end result as castrating a colt....

Entires of either sex have to battle their hormones when racing - it's just the way it is and interfering with that may result in many more cases of impaired fertility..

Thanks Songsheet. Would it be fair to say they should have had some clue then?

Back