Youmzain and the Grand Prix de Saint-Cloud

Guest_

At the Start
By neil morrice11.06AM 23 JUN 2009
CHRISTOPHE SOUMILLON has been booked to partner the Mick Channon-trained Youmzain when the six-year-old goes for back-to-back successes in the Group 1 Grand Prix de Saint-Cloud on Sunday.
In a move connections believe could be a one-off, Soumillon replaces Richard Hills, who rode Youmzain into fourth place in the Dubai Sheema Classic at Nad Al Sheba in March and to finish a narrow runner-up behind Ask in the Investec Coronation Cup earlier this month.
Explaining the move by owner Jaber Abdullah, his racing manager Bruce Raymond said: "Mr Abdullah felt that, as the horse was running in France, he would try a jockey who knows Saint-Cloud and that factor certainly applies to Christophe Soumillon.

"Soumillon was keen to ride Youmzain when we approached him, so we snapped him up. Mr Abdullah is sure it will prove a wise move."
Youmzain ran out an authoritative winner of the 1m4f race when beating Soldier Of Fortune last year, and has arguably been unlucky in both his 2009 starts.
It is expected Youmzain will follow an identical programme to last year, with the Betfair-sponsored King George VI And Queen Elizabeth Stakes and the Qatar Prix de l'Arc de Triomphe - in which he has finished runner-up in each of the last two seasons - the targets.

1 ideal world usa m.ps. 4 ans P258525 KHALID ABDULLAHA. FABRE125.200
2 spanish moon usa m.ps. 5 ans P258000 KHALID ABDULLAHSIR MR. STOUTE836.503
3 youmzain ire m.ps. 6 ans P258565 JABEER ABDULLAHMR. CHANNON1.662.845
4 magadan ire m.ps. 4 ans P258515 ECURIE WILDENSTEINE. LELLOUCHE159.230
5 PETROGRAD (IRE) M.PS. 8 ans 58315 ECURIE WILDENSTEINE. LELLOUCHE

6 TSAR DE RUSSIE IRE M.PS. 4 ans 58440 ECURIE WILDENSTEINE. LELLOUCHE54.250
7 full of gold m.ps. 4 ans P258510 ALEC HEADMME C. HEAD-MAAREK130.171
8 DREAM DESERT IRE M.PS. 4 ans 58000 AHMED JABERMR. CHANNON20.503
9 curtain call m.ps. 4 ans P258000 MME P.K. COOPER & PARTNERSLM. CUMANI117.243
10 scintillo gb m.ps. 4 ans P258000 WHITE BEECH FARMRM. HANNON217.167
11 alpine rose f.ps. 4 ans P256,5500 EC.MONCEAUX/SKYMARC/FAM.MOUSSA.DE ROYER DUPRE129.500

Christ alive, what an awful awful Group One. I'd be tempted to give Magadan another chance if the bookies take a position on Youmzain which favours the rest of the field.

Christ alive, what an awful awful Group One. I'd be tempted to give Magadan another chance if the bookies take a position on Youmzain which favours the rest of the field.

Sums up my views on the older brigade full stop. Conduit and possibly Tartan Bearer aside (over 12 furlongs) they really look a much of a muchness.

Lellouche looks to have a couple of pacemakers in for Magadan. Any chance that the jockey might follow them this time?

if you want to see a truely awful group 1, look at the german derby! this is just fine ....

Another Youmzain jockey bites the dust - most ironic and amusing winner of the race would undoubtedly be Scintillo .

If they go a proper gallop and don't ignore Dream Desert then Youmzain should win comfortably.

Just looking at the Fillies G2 on the same card. It seems strange that there isn't a Rouget/Lemaire runner at the moment. I like the look of Royer-Dupre favourite that was beaten by one last time out though. That looks a decent bit of form.

Michael Stoute has a nice one running, but I'm steering clear of that particular owner who is gaining a reputation as somewhat of a drugs cheat.

Back