Your Festival Back, Each Way and Lay

Euronymous

Senior Jockey
At current prices.

Back: Jezki 6/1 Champion Hurdle.
Each Way: Boston Bob 20/1 Gold Cup. Like last year and the year before his form will take a severe upturn when he gets good ground. Mental that Many Clouds and Shutthefrontdoor are in the same kind of price bracket.
Lay: Un De Sceaux 9/4 Arkle. Remember when Tatanen was 4s for the race? 9/4 about UDS makes that look value. Doesn't strike as a Cheltenham horse one iota.

Current strongest win bet wouldnt take a genius but Faugheen looks an absolute lock
E/W I have several bets on in multiples including Jezki, Coneygree and Shutthefrontdoor.
I agree with you on unde sceaux and will add Silviniaco Conti to the lay list.

Lay:
Annie Power in Mares at Evs. There is still a chance she'll run in Stayers Hurdle rather than here - if she runs at all. If she is delayed, they could go to Aintree (a la Asian Maze) instead.

Each-Way
Cue Card in Ryanair at 10/1. Neither start this season has been under optimum conditions, and he will be a different horse at Chelts and back over a stiff 2m5f. He cannot miss the places, imo, and will be pushing favouritism on-the-day.

Back
Kings Palace in RSA Chase at 5/1. It's impossible to fault his outings over fences to date, his two nearest market rivals may very-well run elsewhere, and nothing else looks in the remotely the same class. NAP.

Last edited:
Back:Peace and co in the Triumph.Looks rock solid and his hurdling action is fantastic.Very excited about seeing him on the Friday.
Lay:The new one-will be doing too little too late again.will get 3rd but the machine will have gone and Jezki will chase him home.
Each way.coneygree,impressed me with faultless round over Cheistmas from the front.Road to Riches-rock solid at 8/1.

Back: More Of That 7/2 with a run. If it turns up it will be much shorter.
Lay: Any non-Mullins horse in the Arkle.
Each way: Has to be Jezki while it's 6/1.

Back - Vautour in any race 7/2. Mullins clearly thinks he knows the cause of his physical issue last time out. He's a machine so will win imo. Should run in the Arkle but if UDS makes Cheltenham then could be JLT bound for which he is 9/2. In the event he does run in the Arkle then taking 7/2 any race doesn't seem to much of a difference. Though 8/1 for the Arkle could look massive if Mullins does intend to send him that route. I would have been shafted.

E/W - Jezki is a wheelbarrow job but will put a bigger price one up.
Lord Windermere for Gold Cup 16/1
Have/Had/ my doubts about last year's race. Loved his comeback run though this season. Ran much better than I thought he would. Reasons for his last run. Back on better ground in March then will be in the shake up, I think.

Lay - UDS. Made my feelings clear already on this last season regards potential Champion Hurdle tilt. Same applies here. Not for me.

Back
L'Ami Serge 5/1. Love this horse and as impressive as Douvan was the other day he'll need to be some machine to beat this fella. Also Peace and Co for a Munir double

E/W
Jezki of course but Vibrato Valtat in the Arkle might just have the race set up for him

Lay
Jumping on the UDS bandwagon here. Just don't think his running style will work out at Cheltenham.

Back
Lord Windermere and Jezki for a repeat
Both are each way value so that makes it easier.

Michael Flips the way he ran yesterday could be the one for Cross Country should Enda take that route.
12/1 currently so an each way also.

Laying is not my thing bar Sandra Bullock if the opportunity presented itself 1

Too early for me

but at the moment
i want to side with peace and co, Faugheen , un des sceaux

i want to oppose
hurricane fly, more of that, annie power, Douvan silvianaco conti, vautour

Lay Dynaste in the Ryanair...He usually finds something to beat him

Kings Palace EW........Look a safe bet to win or be placed If Don Poli doesn't run he's massive at 5/1

Sprinter Sacre........All being well things will be back to normal by the weekend and he'll be 1/4 or less on the day
Still taking a bit of a chance but BG seems delighted with the horse and the price is still massive at the moment considering the horses outstanding ability

Back - Gilgamboa - Arkle or "any race" if you want insurance

EW - Rock on Ruby - World Hurdle. Will run in the race, great festival record, opposition looking thin on the ground & very hopeful he will stay

Lay - Douvan - Supreme. Surely will be current price or bigger on the day & may not even run in the race

Back - Kings Palace, RSA 5/1. For mainly the same reason as Tanlic. Mullins originally said that Don Poli would be heading for the 4 miler and if he did the Pipe horse could go off less than 2/1. Even if Don Poli does line up he might find this happening a bit quick so 5/1 Kings Palace is a nice price.

E/W - Vibrato Valtat, Arkle 20/1. If there's one horse in the race that could be suited to Un De Sceaux's tactics then it could be this. He's the type of horse that is hardly ever taken off his feet and always travels supremely well. There were initial concerns about his ability to see it through but he seems to have turned a corner and it's hard not to see him still on the bridle rounding the bend. Fehily seems to have more confidence in him than Sam TD and he looked good LTO.

Lay - Peace and Co, Triumph 11/4. I admit to be hugely impressed by him at Donny but that is one run and now we're talking about 11/4 for the Triumph over 7 weeks away. I hope I'm wrong but I'd have to be against him with heaven knows how many other unexposed juveniles on my side.

Last edited:
Back - AL FEROF - RyanAir chase

I was quite impressed with his win at Ascot despite apparently not being ready and on ground that would be soft enough. Dotted up in a Paddy Power a couple of years ago and also won the Supreme Novices. Doesn't get the 3m but over the slightly shorter trip I think he could be hard to beat. 12s certainly represents a fair price and if the main protagonists turn up, I couldn't rule out Cue Card and Champagne Fever taking each other on at the head of affairs. If that does happen, Paul Nicholls' grey could be the one to profit.

E/W - SGT RECKLESS - Arkle

I really like Sgt Reckless at 20/1 and see no reason why he can't fill a place... at least. Needs good ground and should get something like good to soft providing we don't have a wet start to March. He was out of his ground in last years Supreme against some really nippy hurdlers and stayed on up the hill with great purpose but Vautour and Josses Hill had gone. If he doesn't get so far behind this time he'd have to have a good each way chance. Jumping looked ok at Uttoxeter but is low on experience.

Lay - DON POLI - National Hunt Chase

Nothing against this grand horse and he will be ridden by a top amateur aagain but he won the Martin Pipe last year so a step up to 4m will be a huge test. I have a slight stamina doubt that I think could be masked by his gutsy battling qualities. There's also a chance he could be RSA bound, which may be a better option but I'd try and get a position against Don Poli for the 4m win and place.

Last edited:
I fancy Malcolm Jefforson to land a winner or two? Has he any decent horse these days?

Serious.

Last edited:
Back - Annie for the mares. If she still has four legs, you are buying money

each way - Westerner Boy 25/1 Grand Annual - has been given a very dubious campaign. Reckon this race has been has been his aim since last January. Got to within a length of Vautour over hurdles. Obvious connections

Lay - Sprinter Sacre 3/1 - They rarely come back, SDG's to lose

Win Silviniaco Conti ( cheekpieces and medication sorted his issues out, can't see him losing)

Each way Al Ferof (six wins and a fall from seven outings when returning from a break of 60 days or more)

Lay Un De Sceaux ( hope he doesn't injure himself or Ruby when he tips up)

each way - Westerner Boy 25/1 Grand Annual - has been given a very dubious campaign. Reckon this race has been has been his aim since last January. Got to within a length of Vautour over hurdles. Obvious connections

Dubious is putting it lightly, but will he even be rated high enough to get in :blink:

Monksland looks an each way bet. For a horse coming off a long lay-off, the Gowran race followed a bit too soon after Monksland's comeback run at Christmas, making him a candidate for a bounce. The fact he nearly won was encouraging, I thought, and there is now enough time to bring him to a peak in March.

Don Poli is a win bet in whichever race he goes for.

Faugheen and Douvan would be my two main candidates for a lay bet. In both cases their price is much lower than it ought to be.

Last edited:
E/W: Brackloon High @ 33/1 (Foxhunters). Won 2 from 3 this season, only defeat came when beating a very useful mare giving her lumps of weight.

Lay(s): Teaforthree @ 6/1, Harbour Court @ 10/1, Warne @ 14/1. None of those can win the Foxhunters - one of them won't even run in it for a start.

Back: Definitly Red @ 25/1 (Albert Bartlett). Not too sure on this one as he's currently rated 129, may go down the handicapping route as he'll be very well in as this horse has plenty of ability 140+ on form.

EW Moon Racer Champion Bumper, form in the book, put away for this since scooting up in October.
Lay Silivinaco Conti Gold Cup, Cheltenham ain't his track, admirable horse but seems to be a FTB. ROR World Hurdle, won't stay 3 miles, simple.
Back Faugheen/Annie Power double. Also Sprinter Sacre over a STONE in hand of rivals.

Last edited:
Back