Your most important Cheltenham selections

Arkle - JPR One is still progressing and he knows this track. He can be forgiven for slipping on landing when in front a few months ago here. It was Shishkiness-like in terms of unluckiness. I think JPR One will go the gallop they go here for a long while. Whether he's tough enough at the end remains to be seen. But he has a good chance and I'll take him in the Arkle.

Ultima - I haven't made my mind up yet, but I am paying more attention to novices in the handicaps this year. My logic is this. I think there's more chance a horse is well treated if he's had 2 or 3 runs, than something that's run 60 times over fences that's slipping down the ratings. There's a few lightly raced horses at the head of the market, but they are plenty short enough in the Ultima, so until I settle on one of them, I'm hoping Excello makes the cut. He's only had two starts over fences over here, but falls into the could be anything category. Plus he's from the type of stable who could pull this off in Nicky Henderson.

The Plate. I like Crebilly for this. His form is there in the book, including beating Tahmuras, so he's a favourites chance.

Edited my post, to account for withdrawals today.

Last edited:
Here's six that I like at this stage.

Arkle - JPR One is still progressing and he knows this track. He can be forgiven for slipping on landing when in front a few months ago here. It was Shishkiness-like in terms of unluckiness. I think JPR One will go the gallop they go here for a long while. Whether he's tough enough at the end remains to be seen. But he has a good chance and I'll take him in the Arkle.

Ultima - I haven't made my mind up yet, but I am payingnmore attention to novices in the handicaps this year. My logic is, I think there's more chance a horse is well treated if he's had 2 or 3 runs that something that's run 600 times over fences that is slipping down the ratings. There's a few lightly raced horses at the head of the market, but they are plenty short enough in the Ultima, so until I settle on one of them, I'm hoping Excello makes the cut. He's only had two starts over fences, but falls into the could be anything category. Plus he's from the type of stable who could pull it off in Nicky Henderson. He's also in the Plate on Thursday, where he'd be more likely to make the cut. He;s half the price for that. So I am watching where he goes, but I'd be interested if they chucked him in the Ultima on Tuesday.

Bumper - Brechin Castle for a bit of a stab in the dark. This isn't a race I usually get too worked up over. But about six weeks ago I was looking and I settled on him. He needs improvement, but he could just find it. As he's been off the track for a few months, the more market confidence behind him the better. There's a good chance connections will have an idea, and a good idea, of what he's been doing at home. If he goes into 14s or 16s on the day I would be even more confident.

Plate. I mentioned Excello is entered in this earlier. The other one I like for this is Crebilly. His form is there in the book, including beating Tahmuras, so he's a favourites chance I think. If Excello goes for this I'll be backing Crebilly win and Excello each way.

Kim Muir. Stormy Judge is a horse I've had my eye on for two years, since he beat a tracker horse of mine in Ireland. There was a big proponent of trainer Pat Fahy on the old Neigh Forum, that I used to post on as a young man nearly 20 years ago now. The issue with Stormy Judge is, he's entered at Naas next week, as well as the Midlands National at Uttoxeter on the Saturday after Cheltenham. So I have no real idea if he's destined for the Kim Muir.

What I do know if he went off a shortish price for the Scottish National a couple season back, where he wasn't fluent and jumped poorly. But I always felt he was much better than that. He's coming back on the boil mow in Ireland, running creditably in staying chases, so if he takes his chance next Thursday, I'll be backing him as one of my main bets of the meeting, because I feel he's handicapped to win a very big chase.

County Hurdle. Why is Jungle Jack such a big price? Is it because he's probably odds against at present to make the cut? His second the last day placing to the Morebattle winner at Kelso, Cracking Rhapsody, looks excellent form. He wants to be up there on the pace, so I really hope Jungle Jack makes the cut, as he can give backers a great run for our money at big odds, in what is a very open looking County Hurdle this season. He's one for putting in a trade in running at shorter odds than before the off, for exchange players aswell.

Stormy Judge declared for the Leinster National on Sunday, so not looking that important for the Kim Muir at the moment.

I've got 10s Salvatore Ziggy to decent enough money, Maxbet, and it's still 9/2 in plenty of places.

I'm happy enough with my decision.

Drifting big time, the ground has gone against him...

365 giving you 11/2 for 3 places with 7 in the race...tells its own story

Last edited:
Alright lads and lassies always think about you lot at this time of year just came on to wish you all the best for the Festival hope you're all well and winning ;)

Nice to hear from you Danny.give us your thoughts.

Sorry I have none. I haven't watched a race since last year's National. I shall be having a few token bets this week and I've got Thursday and Friday off work so if I do see anything that tickles my fancy I'll let you know mate.

Ive been hammering Slade Steel for Ballymore all year. Did i back it today? No.
Also been hammering Ballyburn the other way round.

Back