Your top 5 least favourite races

Euronymous

Senior Jockey
Every good needs a bad for balance. So which races hurt the most, were the ones where the tele could have met the pavement?

1. Maljamar vs Wichita Lineman.
2. Sakhee's Secret's July Cup. I came home from a course, dying for the loo and was on the job when the race was run. From my seated vantage point on the khazi I mistook the colours and thought Dutch Art (who I'd backed) was the winner. feces went everywhere.
3. Orfevre - Arc - say no more
4. Boston Bob's fall at the last in the RSA.
5. Ile De Ri's Chester Cup. I was all over Overturn for this and his **** of a trainer stabled the winner, whom he'd barely mentioned in all the eulogising over his stable star pre race.

Last edited:
2. Sakhee's Secret's July Cup. I came home from a course, dying for the loo and was on the job when the race was run. From my seated vantage point on the khazi I mistook the colours and thought Dutch Art (who I'd backed) was the winner. feces went everywhere.

Oh dear.

1. any race won by Duke Of Marmalade or Oratorio or Cape Blanco
2. Midnight Line being beaten by Bahr (although maybe I should like this one more as it was the day I learned that horses dont always run to form)
3. Sil Sila's maiden when I had walked into the bookies, looked at the form for the next race, decided I liked the look of the unraced Sil Sila, then looked at the price (25-1 at the time) and thought, oh well, it must be a no-hoper and walked off. It won at an SP of 50-1.
4. Oscar Delta jinking and unseating on the run in at cheltenham when well clear.
5. Qualify humping me for a load of cash in this years Oaks.

1. 2007 Champion Chase. All I really cared about at that years Cheltenham Festival was Well Chief winning the Champion Chase. He'd hacked up on his return in the Game Spirit and it looked like he only had to have clear round of jumping to win. When he fell early on it ruined the rest of the festival for me. That year was his big chance to win the race that his talent deserved.

2, 1990 Breeders Cup Sprint. Totally gutted when Dayjur jumped the shadow. He'd overcome travelling to a different country, running on the dirt for the first time & being drawn out wide. For him to lose it that way was tough to take.

3. 1994 Champion Chase. Remittance Man is one of my favourite horses from over the years and I was seriously annoyed when Mick Fitzgerald managed to put him on the floor at the third last in this race.

4. 2000 Gold Cup. Went into the race really excited to see how Gloria Victis would get on after his brilliant win in the Racing Post Chase. He was in the process of running a huge race when he came down at the second last and of course we sadly lost him. Such a talented horse with huge potential.

4. 1989 Breeders Cup Mile. This was the first Breeders Cup I watched and I was really hoping to see Zilzal end his career with a win. Unfortunately his race was over as soon as he missed the break at the start. From then on he had to travel wide the whole way and had no chance to win. Very frustrating.

Any race where a horse is killed. I was particularly fed up when George Washington collapsed at the start that final time

Any number of draw driven deadly dull big field sprint handicaps

Any race win by a so called coup Curley style. It's nothing but a big negative for the sport

2005 Scottish National - I really wanted Ruby to do the clean sweep, and he lost by a short head
1990 BC Sprint - Arazi sums up why
2015 Mare's Hurdle - still hurts to watch AP fall at the last
1986 French Champion Hurdle - Dawn Run dying of a broken neck
Any race where Kauto got beat but particularly the 2008 Totesport Bowl

Well Chief falling in QM. Heart sinking moment. Turned out expensive too. Irrelevant though as just wanted the horse to win.

Kauto falling in Gold Cup. For split second I feared the worse.

AP on Wichita Lineman nailing Maljimar. Already counting the money.

Silver Birch winning National. 100s, missed out. My own fault.

Frankel last race. Joy and sadness mixed together.

Last edited:
Boston Bob RSA( I would add the Albert Bartlett to this too but it would be a tad disrespectful as it was such a joyous moment for Campbell Gillies and such a bastardd about what subsequently happened to the poor lad)
Kauto's blow out in the 2010 (ran in 2011) KG.
Dawn approach getting beat in the Sussex.
2015 champion chase
Such a shame to see SS toiling like that.

Bahri getting caught in a pocket in the Irish 2000 after I'd had my biggest bet ever on it
Sizing Europe breaking down in the Champion Hurdle with the race at his mercy
Sizing Europe being messed up in that stupid Champion Chase when the dolled off the last fence
Overdose winning the voided Abbaye
Golden Cross not getting the race in the World Hurdle after being intimidated all the way up the hill

1973 Grand National buffoon of a jockey costs Crisp the race.
1986 Gold Cup, Wayward Lad should have won with a good ride.
1989 Gold Cup, Yahoo an unlucky loser.
2004 Tingle Creek, Well Chief robbed.
2011 2000 Guineas, jockeys go to sleep at start and allow winner soft lead to slip the field.

Last edited:
Sizing Europe losing in the Champion Hurdle due to a back problem

Snowtown Boy losing to Bootlaces in Schweppes Gold Trophy

Arthur Eubank's Rozinante winning at Hexam when there was no photo..but the judge got it wrong and gave the race to Jonjo (Even he said he lost) cost me plenty.

Gembridge Jupiter breaking a blood vessel at Donnie when hack cantering on the home turn....he won about 7 on the trot after that race

Sprinter Sacre being pulled up at Kempton and the news that followed

Dancing Brave blow out at Santa Anita: too good a horse to end like that.
Grundy blow out at York 1975> same reason.
El Gran Senor defeat in Derby: was speechless for a good hour afterwards: no bet by the way.
Tied Cottage losing Liam o Donnell in 1981 Gold Cup; why oh why was Tommy Carberry injured !
Overdose Prix de l'Abbaye also

One Man in the 98 Melling Chase. Heartbreaking
Maljimar as well (amazing how many of us were on). I was stood next to the Guinness bar in the Centaur and felt like the only person roaring him up the hill, only to be swamped by a crescendo of AP/Wichita backers (including all my mates)
Synchronised in the 2012 National
Champagne Fever in the 2014 Arkle...HTF did he get beat?
See More Business being taken out in the 98 Gold Cup

1996 Arkle. Managed to back the winner Ventana Canyon but the memory of that race will always be M Pipe's shocking decision to run Draborgie on 3 good legs with predictably tragic consequences
2006 Derby. Similar to above with a shocking decision to run Horatio Nelson
1998 Melling Chase. One Man
2008 Derby. Had a big AP bet on Tartan Bearer once I heard New Approach wasn't running. Then TB gets done on the day by guess who
1998 Gold Cup. See More Business carried out and race won by an animal barely fit to grace the same turf. At least SMB got his day the next year
1999 Stayers Hurdle. Large AP on Le Coudray foiled by the apparent no hoper Anzum coming from a different parish

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Back