Zarooni

No I used to babysit his kids for him! He was a nice bloke (way nicer than Warren!)

I wasn't going to mention the reason for Stroud's departure - I think AS was surprised 'cos at the time a fair few were taking liberties but Stroud just got found out. But it did go to show that SMo wasn't the soft touch he was made out to be at the time.

I didn't mention it. Others went more quietly after the fact

Ken Payne was using steroids like this in the 1970s everyone knew then it was banned and just as bad as using it at the time a horse was in actual training .

Zaronni's ignorance is utterly astonishing and how could vets employed by such an organisation not have known this ?

It is unfathomable how this could have happened .

Ken Payne,thought I`d heard the name for the last time. The memory lingers on

From the BHA Press Release

1. Information provided by Mahmood Al Zarooni to the Investigating Officers has revealed that, in addition to the 11 horses which tested positive and were named on 22nd April, a further four horses were administered one of the two prohibited substances. Those horses are: Comitas, Sashiko, Vacationer (all Ethylestranol) and Tearless (Stanozolol). These horses were under the care of Mr Al Zarooni but had not been subjected to testing.

Ethylestrenol has a 48 hour withdrawal window, Stanozolol about 45 days. Long term anabolic use can lead to the need for a longer withdrawal period. Certainly ethylestrenol is often administered as an oral paste so no need for veterinary involvement.

Last edited:
His Highness Sheikh Mohammed Bin Rashid Al Maktoum issued the following statement:

"I was appalled and angered to learn that one of our stables in Newmarket has violated Godolphin's ethical standards and the rules of British racing. I have been involved in British horse racing for 30 years and have deep respect for its traditions and rules. I built my country based on the same solid principles. There can be no excuse for any deliberate violation. Godolphin is fully cooperating with the British Horseracing Authority to get to the bottom of this matter and take any appropriate disciplinary action. I have ordered the Godolphin management to undertake an immediate review of our internal procedures and controls to ensure to prevent any reoccurrence of this type of activity in any stables of mine. We will be locking down the Moulton Paddocks stables with immediate effect, and I have instructed that I want a full round of blood samples, and dope testing done on every single horse on that premises. I can assure the racing public that no horse will run from that yard this season until I have been absolutely assured by my team that the entire yard is completely clean. I have worked hard to ensure that Godolphin deserves its reputation for integrity and sportsmanship, and I have reiterated to all Godolphin employees that I will not tolerate this type of behaviour."

Good piece from Greg Wood in the Guardian (at least up to the point where he speculates that the scandal may result in political instability in Dubai or the UAE - which is just bizarre):

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/blo...n-positive-steroids-sheik-mohammed?CMP=twt_gu

No, it isn't bizarre - well, only to us, maybe. The following is Krizon's take on this over on Atacanta and worth quoting here:

"Well, all Gulf states have (repressed) opposition to their autonomy - the royal families being the governments (no democracies in electing leadership), so I'm sure there'll be a lot of rumbling about 'unfit to rule' from those quarters. There would also be a backlash from the fundamentalists as much as the progressives - horseracing Western-style being seen as corrupted by gambling, which, as we probably all know, is not permitted under Islamic (Shari'ah) law. I imagine the more extreme views will be that if a sheikh has to dope his horses to get them to win for him, he's corrupt, too. Wonky logic, but that'd be one of the bandwagons jumped on. Makes a whole religious and political scenario potentially very difficult, so it won't be just his horsey rep the sheikh will be worrying about. Meanwhile, over in Qatar (these little-but-rich states aren't all best mates!), the Qataris will be quietly smirking, as they're hoping that Qatar will be the major player in supporting racing over years to come. They don't have Sheikh Mo's revenues, but they're still a very, very rich little country with much less blingy and OTT expenditure visible. They've kept a low profile so that they are seen as the men in grey suits, acceptable to the West in a very conservative way, but also quiet enough in behaviour to be just about acceptable to the radicals of any stripe. Watch them quietly grow their way a bit more, as everyone assumes (rightly) astonished expressions about Godolphin. In fact, I'd recommend people take trips to Qatar and to ingratiate themselves with the Qataris far more than Dubai, which economically is now well levelled out, with few of the more rash take-ups in construction and outrageous luxury buying now available to Western concerns."

Ethylestrenol has a 48 hour withdrawal window, Stanozolol about 45 days. Long term anabolic use can lead to the need for a longer withdrawal period. Certainly ethylestrenol is often administered as an oral paste so no need for veterinary involvement.

So drugs that can be easily administered and the all clear date calculated with a degree of certainty.

The Sheikh must be livid that his loyal subjects are taking it upon themselves to drug his endurance and race horses .:blink:

Isn't it true that these roids are not banned in convict country? And we see these stacked up sprinters every year?

Surely this drugs are only banned for horses in training?

If you register it out of training you can give it whatever you want providing it's out of the system before the horse returns to training?

Ie. You could use it to help your 2yo's strengthen up for example.

Martin

Isn't it true that these roids are not banned in convict country? And we see these stacked up sprinters every year?

Surely this can't be true? I followed the form down under for quite a while and it seemed a lot more transparent than on these shores!

If you register it out of training you can give it whatever you want providing it's out of the system before the horse returns to training?

Martin

Correct, because the BHA only have regulatory powers (and therefore power to ban or permit use of certain drugs, in line with the International Agreement) over licensed individuals / premises, and pre-training / out-of-training yards aren't licensed.

THE racing industry would feel the wrath of trainers if Australia adopted Europe and Japan's ban on the use of anabolic steroids on horses.

Racing NSW chief steward Ray Murrihy and Racing Victoria chief vet Brian Stewart said yesterday a ban on steroids might be inevitable, in light of the Godolphin scandal in England.
Eleven top horses trained by Mahmood Al Zarooni at Newmarket have tested positive to steroids.
It has been described as one of the greatest racing scandals in British history.
Murrihy said racing might face serious perception issues if it continued to allow the use of steroids, at odds with other bodies around the world.
"Given the bigger sporting story, Lance Armstrong and the like, it might be the debate racing has to have," Murrihy said.

Australian Trainers' Association president Colin Alderson warned of a backlash, saying sensible use of steroids had no sinister connotation, adding they were a significant cost benefit to owners.

"Racehorses need every bit of help -- we can't even give them an aspro," Alderson said.
"You give a horse a dose of steroids to help it thrive out in the paddock, you can bring it back earlier and start earning some money earlier for the owner.

"This would be a complete over-reaction, an overkill. Why should we ban steroids because of one isolated incident in the UK?"
Alderson said the tendency for Australian trainers to geld colts meant horses needed an artificial replacement for natural hormones.
It is rare for colts to be gelded in Britain and Japan.
"You ban it and the scallywags will still find a way to get around it," Alderson said.
Top trainer David Hayes said he would comply with a ban, adding he rarely used steroids on his horses.
But Hayes said a compromise might be the occasional use of steroids, with an application to stewards and veterinary supervision.
Al Zarooni was yesterday "co-operating fully" with British racing officials.
The 11 horses, including unbeaten filly Certify, one of the favourites for Sunday week's 1000 Guineas at Newmarket, have been banned from further competition.
Godolphin owner Sheik Mohammed was said to be devastated by the positive tests, and Al Zarooni is almost certain to be sacked. His profile has been deleted from the Godolphin web page.

(Herald Sun)

Last edited:
I don't understand that piece. The link to the National piece says that:

Anabolic steroids are allowed to be used in the UAE if horses are not in training...

How is that any different to here?

Martin

Not to mention the 3, 4 or even 5 years that many jumpers have before entering a licensed yard.

Neither Stanozolol or Ethylstranol are licensed in Britain for veterinary use so regardless whether the horses were in training or not, their use would still be illegal.

No legal representation for Zarooni at today's hearing, and the speed at which the case is being dealt with, would indicate that he will be hung out to dry with no investigation of who else knew.

Neither Stanozolol or Ethylstranol are licensed in Britain for veterinary use so regardless whether the horses were in training or not, their use would still be illegal.

Not true, cascade system woud allow you administer them to horses as an off label use of human drugs as there is no licensed veterinary version. (not uncommon, often licensing is to do with cost for the manufacturer rather than lack of efficacy)

Back