Aftertiming thread

Big day for the thread tomorrow:

COVEY- (Haydock 14:25) 9/4
Betfred Silver Bowl Handicap (Heritage Handicap)

Promising type who arrives on the back of Newmarket maiden and Newcastle novice wins (both 7f) this spring. Should stay 1m. Exciting prospect who is likely to have a big say on handicap debut

CRYSTAL ESTRELLA - (Goodwood, 16:20) 100/30
British EBF 40th Anniversary Fillies' Handicap

Won here last season and upped her game when a strong-finishing second at Brighton 25 days ago. More to come and boasts leading claims up in trip.

KING OF CONQUEST - (Goodwood, 13:30) 9/2
William Hill Festival Stakes (Listed)

Lightly-raced 4-y-o who has taken his form up a level this season, landing big-field 9f handicaps in Bahrain and at Newmarket three weeks ago. Defied an official mark of 102 on latter occasion so he must enter calculations.

NATHANAEL GREENE - (Goodwood, 15:10) 7/2
Tony Barrett Memorial Handicap

Mainly on the up last season (a dual winner) and he resumed from 6 months off with an encouraging fifth of 8 in handicap at Ascot (12f, soft) 14 days ago, staying on late. Needs considering now stepped back up in trip.

VERDANSK - (York, 15:50) 5/1
William Hill Extra Place Races Daily Handicap

Fairly useful form, shaping well when third of 8 on 7f Newmarket handicap debut on reappearance, fading in the closing stages under testing ground conditions. Could see things out better on this quicker surface.

YACOWLEF - (Goodwood, 14:05) 9/2
William Hill Harrows Handicap

Won a 6f novice here last autumn. Good start in handicaps at Newmarket this spring, second of 14 over 6f at the Craven meeting before winning over 7f (heavy) 3 weeks ago. Considered up 6 lb.

Last edited:
Big day for the thread tomorrow:

COVEY- (Haydock 14:25) 9/4
Betfred Silver Bowl Handicap (Heritage Handicap)

Promising type who arrives on the back of Newmarket maiden and Newcastle novice wins (both 7f) this spring. Should stay 1m. Exciting prospect who is likely to have a big say on handicap debut

CRYSTAL ESTRELLA - (Goodwood, 16:20) 100/30
British EBF 40th Anniversary Fillies' Handicap

Won here last season and upped her game when a strong-finishing second at Brighton 25 days ago. More to come and boasts leading claims up in trip.

KING OF CONQUEST - (Goodwood, 13:30) 9/2
William Hill Festival Stakes (Listed)

Lightly-raced 4-y-o who has taken his form up a level this season, landing big-field 9f handicaps in Bahrain and at Newmarket three weeks ago. Defied an official mark of 102 on latter occasion so he must enter calculations.

NATHANAEL GREENE - (Goodwood, 15:10) 7/2
Tony Barrett Memorial Handicap

Mainly on the up last season (a dual winner) and he resumed from 6 months off with an encouraging fifth of 8 in handicap at Ascot (12f, soft) 14 days ago, staying on late. Needs considering now stepped back up in trip.

VERDANSK - (York, 15:50) 5/1
William Hill Extra Place Races Daily Handicap

Fairly useful form, shaping well when third of 8 on 7f Newmarket handicap debut on reappearance, fading in the closing stages under testing ground conditions. Could see things out better on this quicker surface.

YACOWLEF - (Goodwood, 14:05) 9/2
William Hill Harrows Handicap

Won a 6f novice here last autumn. Good start in handicaps at Newmarket this spring, second of 14 over 6f at the Craven meeting before winning over 7f (heavy) 3 weeks ago. Considered up 6 lb.

Wrong thread methinks:blink:

Yes, so did I. I took 33/1 Novakai and noticed Soul Sister at 100/1 (Gosden/Dettori/why the Musidora?) had a wee think and reckoned even a promising run here would see the price slashed so stuck some fun money on her at the price. They're offering me 20/1 cash-out, which is tempting in case she ends up not running and the money would cover my losses on Novakai today.

No regrets about cashing out for the equivalent of 20/1 (plus the place return) and was happy to watch the race with a couple of other outsider interests.

No regrets about cashing out for the equivalent of 20/1 (plus the place return) and was happy to watch the race with a couple of other outsider interests.

If 365 hadn't binned me, there possibly was a chance I'd have taken the cashout this week. Ironically, they shot themselves in the foot, although they'll soon recover and it'll be my loss in the long run.

But don't think I've had a more fun-filled, adrenaline-inducing, Frankie-shouting last two furlongs...ever!!

I just love this game.

Aftertiming of a different sort...

IN the 5.45 today I clearly over-thought things. I backed Riot and Clochette against the field despite my ratings table for the race (the odds column shows the prices on Wednesday evening when I did the race). If tomorrow's racing is as bad for me as today's I could be on the wrong end of a serious hiding.

HorseMON
96+
Notes
Secret Strength 98? e A20/14[SUP]th[/SUP] 33/1
Darkness 97100e14/12[SUP]nd[/SUP] 20/1
Spanish Star 96p +? f10/1W 12/1
Marlay Park 966/13[SUP]rd[/SUP] 8/1
Bluelight Bay 9628/1
Wyvern 95AP18/1
Signcastle City 95p?15/2
Pocket The Profit 94p A14/1
On A Session 9313/2
Clochette 93p6/1
Riot 93[107AyI]10/1
Urban Sprawl 93p5/1
Lord Rapscallion 9294?7/1

<tbody>
</tbody>

<tbody>
</tbody>
Edit - I've just checked the full result. Riot was fifth (a tad unlucky in running maybe) and Bluelight Bay was 6th at 33/1 so it was a terrific race for the ratings if not for me.

Still, if the ratings are doing well then I can take some encouragement that I must be doing something right.

Last edited:
I had a winner handed to me on a plate this week, which brought me out of gambling retirement for the day.

Wouldn't normally bring it up as after timing is not my thing but what I was told was Aston Martini is a future Mares Hurdle winner.

She certainly looked the part and hosed up so I suggest she is followed until beaten.

Only a small win but I hadn’t realised that Brian the Snail had won yesterday. I always back him and the newly retired Custard the Dragon so it was a nice surprise. Good old Brian.

Keep an eye on those Galileo Gold's, especially when they're coming out of maiden company after unplaced sighters and going into low grade handicaps.

Panning for Gold just sluiced home at Yarmouth (27 and a bit upwards on BF an hour before the race)
Booyea a few days ago in Ireland (was 75 BF a couple of hours before the race)

There's definitely something in that line and these won't be the last.

Now all we need is the Wizard to make all in the John Of Gaunt and it will have been a hot, hot week for GG.

I missed a few myself in the last few months, Mo. I think the trick is to watch out for those at big prices that are going to be better than shown..as in the hint above. But, as The Wizard has shown, some will make it to the higher levels.

Watch for The Menstone Gem. Has done nothing through the spring, but Craig Lidster had him entered in the Lincoln, and now the John Smith's Cup. Surely won't make it into that race, but reading between the lines, it might just be that Craig thinks he has the ability tucked away and he could yet pop up at 20+ in a class 4 or maybe 3

One of my alerts was running in the 200 so I had a pound on at 44 and a pound ew at 25/1.

Royal athena 1st 16/1

Hats off to Laura Morgan.........Captain Ivan not seen since last year turns up with a hood and a tongue tie which he probably didn't need but it kept the punters at bay and it drifts all day.........last minute gamble from 12/1 to 7/1 pisses up. If only we knew :0)

Last edited:
The most appalling bit of aftertiming here......but I backed Khaadem! I just thought Spencer was a massive addition and the horse looked fantastic in the paddock. Sorry guys but I am very, very happy!

Back