Equine Retirements, Long Term Injuries and Departures

“It is a sad day, Limestone Lad was a one-off and he actually died in the field he was reared in,” said Bowe’s son and long-time assistant, Michael.“He was a great horse who for whatever reason captured the public’s imagination. He was a bit like Robin Hood as he took from the rich and gave to the poor!

“Beating Istabraq in the Hatton’s Grace was a big day, but there were lots of good days. I remember him winning the Morgiana in Punchestown one year when he looked well beaten and somehow fought back to get back up – it had to be seen to be believed.
“He wore his heart on his sleeve and whenever he ran there was nowhere to hide for the opposition. He was a one-off and I only wish I was able to clone him.
“It is sad that he’s gone, but he had a great retirement and he enjoyed every minute – and we’ve still got the memories…and the trophies!”

Unbeaten in handicap hurdles , imagine it happening now.
An absolute monster; remember one day at Leopardstown Christmas meet he won a distance and the other jockeys were suspended for making insufficient effort.
The decision was changed on appeal when they argued that second was the best position they could hope for against such a horse.
His sire Aristocracy was a Bord na gCapall approved stallion in a scheme to improve sport horses.
As such he was limited to cover 15 TB mares per season ; what a sire he could have been given half a chance.
Thanks for the memories.

I’m a little surprised there’s been no comment on Paddy Brennan’s retirement this week.

Whilst I will personally never forgive him for chinning Vautour in the shadow of Kempton’s winning post when carving-up Cue Card to win the King George, there’s no doubt he was a better than adequate jockey in his prime, who won some good races on some nice horses over the years; the high-point of course being his Gold Cup win on Imperial Commander.

He seemed to get something of a new lease of life when teaming-up with Fergal O’Brien late in his career, and I reckon it was a relationship that served both jockey and stable well.

Good to see him get out in one piece.

Last edited:
Very sad news but it looked an awful fall as though he slammed into the ground knees first. Was amazed he was able to get into the horse ambulance.

Freddie Gingell posted a very poignant message saying his mum was waiting for the horse.... 😭

Just seen via Facebook..... 😭

Apparently got cast in his stable and fractured a hind leg. Awful news and caps a wretched season for them.

Back