Novice Chasers 2009/10

Thought they couldn't go fast enough for him - he didn't settle at any stage, going the pace they go in the Arkle would be right up his street IMO.

Could do with a proper jockey mind.

Thought they couldn't go fast enough for him - he didn't settle at any stage, going the pace they go in the Arkle would be right up his street IMO.

Go back and look at his Kempton win and he pulled throughout and jumped iffy but there were no complaints then? The horse was just not up to the conditions yesterday and his jumping got progressively worse down the back straight when the race really started to quicken up. He would have been on the floor in the Arkle.

The only thing I do know is he would have beaten Mad Max by further than SE.

I was very against SWC taking the ride but I thought he gave it a textbook ride (can't say for sure if this will continue) and thought he, O'Connell and McNamara all did really well on the short priced ones, regardless of the results.

The only thing I do know is he would have beaten Mad Max by further than SE.

Did you think Somersby would have beaten him further too? He looked really good on his debut but disappointed in heavy ground since then. Always well regarded from a trainer who's horses are running out of their skin - clearly bounced off this better ground.

I think the Long Run thing is going way over the top - he has done nothing to suggest he would have won the Arkle on good ground on Tuesday let alone complete the course.

I got Somersby wrong - said that already - Segal's column in the weekender very good for an accurate view on the Arkle.

I'm pretty sure Long Run would have beaten him much better - but at the end of the day a good horse won, jumped well with no real excuses and Long Run needed to run to be considered a top 2 miler - he didn't, so he still has it to prove. I'd send him to Aintree.

Go back and look at his Kempton win and he pulled throughout and jumped iffy but there were no complaints then? The horse was just not up to the conditions yesterday and his jumping got progressively worse down the back straight when the race really started to quicken up. He would have been on the floor in the Arkle.

I thought the horse could settle better - I think he'd settle better if they went faster. But if he won't settle he won't settle no matter how fast, slow etc. they go and his jumping can only really be improved at home with schooling.

Hope it improves with age and I'd prefer a pro jockey but having known that SWC was going to ride for upwards of a year it would be a bit harsh to start complaining now.

Weapon's Amnesty looks a proper Cheltenham horse though - 2/2 now both in Grade 1 races and Burton Port finished to good effect too. Wouldn't knock the race - an improver on better ground won and the top two on Timeform ratings (i think) third and fourth.

Look forward to seeing Punchestowns back as I don't think that was his running and there are valid excuses.

Long Run wouldn't have won Contraband's Arkle. His jumping errors would have been even more pronounced over two miles.

I got Somersby wrong - said that already -

Seemingly barely mentioned, but the one novice this week who would probably improve for a different distance. I was behind him and was very happy with the run.

Seemingly barely mentioned, but the one novice this week who would probably improve for a different distance. I was behind him and was very happy with the run.

Think he is a definite Gold Cup prospect for next year regardless of what happens tomorrow.

Looking at the Arkle again Lynch went for the winner as soon as Mad Max blundered, reminding me of Niche Market's jockey going for that horse as soon as Denman made his error at Newbury. SE was going great at the time and if he'd held onto him a tad longer he'd have won more comfortably imo. With a trouble free prep I won't be looking anywhere else next March.

Looking at the Arkle again Lynch went for the winner as soon as Mad Max blundered, reminding me of Niche Market's jockey going for that horse as soon as Denman made his error at Newbury. SE was going great at the time and if he'd held onto him a tad longer he'd have won more comfortably imo. With a trouble free prep I won't be looking anywhere else next March.

Agree with both your points.

Back