Novice Chasers 2009/10

Disappointed with Long Run, didn't jump well enough so no complaints. It looks like the Arkle was indeed the race for him in retrospect - he would surely have beaten Mad Max and Osana at least as well as SE.

Great performance from the winner, lovely horse and his jump at the last was breathtaking - exactly what you want to see in a good RSA. Highlights again how important previous festival form is.

Glad to see Russell say what he did - McCririck is indeed an oaf and as I said yesterday that jockey did nothing wrong.

Punchestowns disappointing. Never travelling.

I thought Long Run was beaten before the turn in - long before stamina came into play plus it was not even a strongly run race. I would think the ground or track did not suit him - he would have fallen if he had ran in the Arkle jumping like that.

Winner clearly loves this sort of ground.

Punchestowns was being niggled before the second circuit.

Long Run would be interesting for the King George at a tasty price now. You just can't make the mistakes he did on this track and win. The winner looks similar quality to Cooldine and should be a force in the next couple of Gold Cup's.

Punchestowns pulled up sore.

Don't know what to make of Long Run - he could end up being a Ryanair Chase horse but the ground was my worry beforehand I am sticking to it for the time being.

If Long Run could be settled and with a different rider I think he could fulfill his poetential.

Still a young horse and I think he would have given Sizing Europe a good run for its money in the Arkle.

As an after thought Long Run would have been more suited to the Arkle trip

I don't think that he would have beaten SE mind

Imagine his jumping today at a much faster pace. I'm confident that SE would have beaten him comfortably

I was really impressed with SE yesterday. I didn't think that Long Run was going especially well at any point in the second half of the race today. Punchestowns was a major disappointment, he too never looked to be travelling well.

Very, very sorry about Citezin Vic. He had been progressing nicely all season and it is a sad end.

Thought Long Run ran a perfectly credible race today given the circumstances. You can't jump as poorly as he did, pull as hard (tanked his way through the race again) and still expect to fly up the hill at Cheltenham. Ultimately he was beaten by a horse that better handled today's test.

Thought Long Run ran a perfectly credible race today given the circumstances. You can't jump as poorly as he did, pull as hard (tanked his way through the race again) and still expect to fly up the hill at Cheltenham. Ultimately he was beaten by a horse that better handled today's test.

Spot on. And a horse that will probably be underrated. He was really impressive - if that was Long Run he would be the talking horse for next season's Gold Cup.

Well I am disappointed with Long Run - he does not look a Gold Cup horse which is what we are looking for. He is a free running sort so I was not surprised to see him take a pull (as he did when trotting in at Kempton) but he was beat before the turn in (or certainly looked in trouble) which was before his stamina was seriously tested (particularly as Walsh set a very steady pace up front). I definitely think he started to feel the ground when the pressure was on and then in the last few yards his stamina did appear to give way.

Would not surprise me to hear that he pulls out sore tomorrow.

Lovely horse, I liked him a lot on seeing him win last year. Looking forward to seeing him out again next year.

Any thoughts on WA?

Was campaigned so that he had a lot more experience than some of his rivals today and it showed. Appears to be far better suited to better ground at Cheltenham than slow run meddling affairs in Ireland post Christmas

When Russell went for him today, he just looked to have so much horse under him.

With Kauto going to be a year older, he looks a live contender for future Gold cups imo

On another note, I wonder how good Pandorama really is?

WA looks the type that will only excell in these conditions and will be a hard horse to judge all through next season. Will definitely get every inch of the Gold Cup trip.

Underrated no longer. He gets an RPR of 165, the same as Denman, and beaten only by Florida Pearl (167), Cooldine (170) and Looks Like Trouble (170).

A double figure price for the Gold Cup may be value but I'm sure what with how he doesn't perform to his best in Ireland you should be able to get a bigger price as next season goes on.

Back