Sea The Stars - Retirement Announced

To think FAG is rated close to or better than many great 1m2 horses (without seeing the figures admittedly) is just plain impossible.

Is it really that difficult to believe he could be a low/mid 130's horse when beaten only 2 1/2l by a horse that most people are of the opinion is perhaps one of the top 5 horses of all time?

Couldn't the same then apply to Delegator, Youmzain, Cavalryman, Conduit, Golden Sword, and that dodgepot Ballydoyle sold after the Irish Derby?

his two subsequent races since (while not performances showing his true level of ability) back up my assertion.

That's the bit that's stumping me. If a horse doesn't show his true form in a race, then how can that race be used to define what his true form is?

To take another example, but in reverse: I don't think Twice Over showed his true form in the Eclipse, so I wouldn't expect the rating for that race to be raised based on him winning the Champion Stakes.

Completely as an aside, but it's funny you should mention Falbrav. His highest RPR (131) was for a 2l beating of the relatively-ordinary-at-best Magistretti at York, which always seemed odd to me. (Just to clarify, I think Falbrav was sensational, but just could never understand why that race ended up being rated his highest by 2lb).

That's the bit that's stumping me. If a horse doesn't show his true form in a race, then how can that race be used to define what his true form is?

I don't believe the Champion Stakes was his true level of form, but I think looking at all of FAG's runs as we can now at the end of the season, one sticks out as bizarre, and that is his Irish Champion run.

Completely as an aside, but it's funny you should mention Falbrav. His highest RPR (131) was for a 2l beating of the relatively-ordinary-at-best Magistretti at York, which always seemed odd to me. (Just to clarify, I think Falbrav was sensational, but just could never understand why that race ended up being rated his highest by 2lb).

Yes, agree. A superstar horse, and strange his highest RPR was only 131. Imagine the season he could have had if Luca Cumani knows then what he knows now about Daryll Holland? :)

If STS isn’t given a super high rating I wouldn’t be too bothered as he is clearly better than anything he has actually run to. It’s when the rating he’s run to is inflated that it becomes meaningless.

Mourayan? :lol::lol::lol:

He beat the two Ballydoyle horses when they either didn't stay the trip or underperformed.

Do you really believe FAG to be a 133 horse over 1m2 Gareth?

Undoubtedly, but then I'm arguing against the notion that you can define how good a horse is by looking at the horses he beat whilst checking your pulse.

Is it really that difficult to believe he could be a low/mid 130's horse when beaten only 2 1/2l by a horse that most people are of the opinion is perhaps one of the top 5 horses of all time?

Exactly. It's not hard to believe he's as good as the likes of Opera House.

Any chance to cut and paste it onto here, Ardross? Not all of us take the RP in paper version, and I haven't joined the online version's Members' Club, either!

Back