1000 Guineas Thread

Originally posted by Warbler@May 4 2008, 03:45 PM
Ah ... but Warbler was the first to spot her and talk her up :P 19th of July thread called "Have the French done it again".

Would Nadoodh have got passed? shrug:: I'm inclined to think she might just have done, but the history books say Natagora won now.
Well done. I only started punting her in November.

Nadoodh probably would have won, but i was on Six Perfections and basically what comes round goes round.

well done anyway

the problem sometimes also is that these fast time 2yo can just be very well grown which gives them superiority

i'm still impressed with your spot anyway..especially when those odds were on offer...just a 10 on would have been nice :)

Originally posted by Venusian@May 4 2008, 02:43 PM
A great performance, she showed plenty of determination as well as pace, and stayed the distance well.
Spacious put up a good fight, and might have some improvement in her.

They just said connections think Spacious will go further but for now they are keeping her to a mile for now
She did indeed put up a good performance, and I's got a small saver on her to cover my stake on Natagora
But if you go back to the Natagora thread, you'll see what impact she had on me when I saw her int he Cheively Park - there's something in her *character* which marks her out, and she wasn't going to be beat today

Watching the replay, when Spacious eye-balled her she just seemed to pick up a bit more speed. Deserving winner.

Originally posted by betsmate@May 4 2008, 03:18 PM
If you're right EC1 then Captain Gerrard will look a big price in the Palace House.

(caveat: You all know how bad I am at picking sprint winners!)
was on it with you :clap:

Fast ground...my arse :laughing:

Will Sakhee's Secret need 6flgs this season, what do you all think?
Or did he just need the first race - noticed he was going in the betting before the race

Richard Hughes probably has now fallen out with Jaber, that owner changes jockeys like the weather and today's ride I'm sure will be slated by the owner.

Well done Warbler, good for you. Oh BTW Rory I think you can happily concede you have lost your bet, If that Brittain horse is rated higher than Nahoodh by the end of the year I will bare my arse to the Queen :laughing:

Here's the replay on YouTube for anyone else who has a mac and can't get the ruk re-run
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykSd5l_DBw4

It's difficult to see given they all bunched up so much on the rail for most of the race what Hughes could have done - I've watched it a few times and imo he couldn't move up through the pack any sooner, and it was just bad luck that he didn't get the run through behind the Cheveley Park pair. It looked a genuine 'hard luck' story to me, and I'm not Hughsey's biggest fan

PS I wouldn't rule out Nahoodh for the Oaks on that run!

Hughes should have switched outside not inside.

Not bitter just disappointed for Mick who has been denied his first Classic.

I don't think so Chris tbh

I've watched a few times and yes the horse gets stopped in it's run but doesn't really make any ground up on them late on.

I think when he moves her out out it looks like she is going faster than the others but to me it's its an optical illusion as you suddenly see that one horse more side on than the others.

You have to assume she could have quickened to even get level with the winner..then battled past her as well...thats a lot of ifs and buts..when I'm not convinced that N was actually catching them as it looks when you get the more side on view of N.

Originally posted by Headstrong@May 4 2008, 05:12 PM
PS I wouldn't rule out Nahoodh for the Oaks on that run!
I'll leave it to Steve Miller to tell you why you should norty

Coronation Stakes would seem the logical target

Originally posted by EC1@May 4 2008, 05:29 PM

I've watched a few times and yes the horse gets stopped in it's run but doesn't really make any ground up on them late on.

I think when he moves her out out it looks like she is going faster than the others but to me it's its an optical illusion as you suddenly see that one horse more side on than the others.

You have to assume she could have quickened to even get level with the winner..then battled past her as well...thats a lot of ifs and buts..when I'm not convinced that N was actually catching them as it looks when you get the more side on view of N.
A horse cant quicken through arses

Had she got daylight she would have won

He has taken her back on heels and taken a pull, what you expect rapid acceleration 50yds from the line ?

I hope bookies think the same as you as in the Coronation the French filly wont see which way she leaves her.

Originally posted by EC1@May 4 2008, 01:52 PM
It's quite funny how none of the "experts" on channel 4 have mentioned the odd results they are getting seeing as how they think the ground is fast.

Before Getaway won..they re-ran the Arc and said...ooo this horse will be meeting such different conditions today..it will struggle.

No one yet thinks to question the official going just might be wrong...hence Good/easy ground horse like Getaway revelled in it.
Unfortunately the RP are gettign very slow at putting results up (can they really expect to charge for this?) but that's another point.

I made yesterdays ground -0.67 (slower side of Good, but still Good nonetheless)
I made todays ground +0.22 (quicker side of good, but still Good nonetheless)

Natagora was 0.15 secs faster than HenrytheNav over 8F
Saphiras Fire was 0.31 faster than Dr Faustus over 10F
(3yo 0-100 versus 3yo listed for fillies)

The other races run over same C&D between the two days can't really be compared as Heaven Sents victory yesterday, and Getaways today were on the slower side of being truly run. Or to put it another, a Gp2 winner wouldn't expect to be 1.25 secs slower than a 0-100 winner, who seemed hell bent on running sideways and barging the opposition out of the way.

I'd say the ground was Good and be pretty confident. The two races over C&D involving evenly matched types point to this, and there isn't that much evidence of the ground speeding up significantly, and certainly not enough to justify the moving of a going description. I'm not entirely sure I can agree with Dave Edwards though whose called it G/S

Depends which French filly you're refering to Chris :)

If I were Bary I wouldn't be rushing out to send Natagora to the Curragh or Ascot, as both courses are quite a bit sterner than the Rowley Mile. In fact I'd already be thinking in terms of the Breeders Cup with a mid season break.

If we accept that Zarkava is the best 3yo filly in Europe? Then it's entirely possible that Nadoodh might be facing another one at Ascot who looks better equipped to get the trip. Don't lose sight of the fact that Bary has Conference Call up his sleeve :suspect:

Originally posted by chrisbeekracing+May 4 2008, 06:47 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (chrisbeekracing @ May 4 2008, 06:47 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-EC1@May 4 2008, 05:29 PM

A horse cant quicken through arses

Had she got daylight she would have won

He has taken her back on heels and taken a pull, what you expect rapid acceleration 50yds from the line ?

I hope bookies think the same as you as in the Coronation the French filly wont see which way she leaves her. [/b][/quote]
Half a furlong out she wasn't seeing horses arses, she had room..

the incident happend just before they hit the half furlong mark...in the last half furlong she made no further ground on the horses on her right when there was nothing to stop her moving forward

If you think she would have won..fair enough...I certainly can't really see it...but I don't have you guys knowledge about riding horses etc.

I wouldn't use Hughes anyway tbh...he isn't a big race jockey imho

Originally posted by EC1@May 4 2008, 05:29 PM

I think if you watch it you can see Hughes stops fully riding and it's just hands and heels for the last 50 yards. The horse appeared to have a few gears and was responding to Hughes's urgings throughout the race, though some will say for trying to mug Natagora in that fashion he got what he deserved.

Similar conclusion here Warbler re the ground

Yesterday had a headwind..I got - Good (slow)
Today got - Good

Natagora got a below par rating for a guineas winner on my reckoning..a speed figure of 100 would suggest the jockey set his own fractions very well and then just kicked away from them

Originally posted by chrisbeekracing@May 4 2008, 05:13 PM
Oh BTW Rory I think you can happily concede you have lost your bet, If that Brittain horse is rated higher than Nahoodh by the end of the year I will bare my arse to the Queen :laughing:
Chris,

I'll up my stake to £500 if you make that a condition of the bet :nuts:

Much better run by Nahoodh by the way, and she should go on from it. I guess Albabilia will need to win the Falmouth at 66/1 to trump that!

It was a bit of a bunch finish so you have to question the overall merit of the generation.

I thought Lemaire won the race in the first two furlongs and gave the winner a peach of a ride. However, I have no doubt Nahoodh would have passed her with a bit of daylight such was her momentum when Hughes had to pull her back.

I'm not into spotting horses in the paddock or going down etc but I did like the look of Spacious.

Back