1000 Guineas Thread

Originally posted by EC1@May 4 2008, 06:14 PM
I don't think so Chris tbh
I've watched a few times and yes the horse gets stopped in it's run but doesn't really make any ground up on them late on.
EC1 did you look at the YouTube clip I posted up? It's the Ch4 coverage, and most of the last 3 flgs is the overhead view - it's quite clear that when Nahoodh wanted to go through firstly Natagora moved to block her - clever girl! - or more likely it was to eyeball Spacious.

In most races at that stage you'd have expected the front three or four to make the gaps, just by something dropping back and something else going on, but they didn't - there was no gap when it mattered and Nahoodh's momentum was completely stopped. She was running on better than anything at that point - which was the crucial point of the race

Chris, at what stage do you think Hughes should have taken the outside route? Soon after the start when he was stuck out the back? - I can't really see when else he could have done that without losing an awful lot of ground, so imo doing that is only something you'd want him to do with hindsight! But Ive never ridden a race :nuts:

Natagora did what New Approach couldn't do yesterday, win with everything in her favour. Suny Bay hates the French jockeys but even he will have to give some credit to Lemaire, judged everything to perfection.

Clearly she is right in the mix for the rest of the season particularly against her own sex, but she had things her own way today, and if she started a silly price in the Coronation or else where, well there are numerous fillys who you could take her on with.

Like DO said, Spacious really takes the eye for the future particularly given the stable's general trend at peaking from the summer onwards.

Hughes was not guilty today - there was nothing else he could have done from that draw and after she hit that flat spot - had he switched way outside he would have been rightly slated a la Thulliez .

Very unlucky though - probably , though not definitely would have won.

Back