2-y-os 2017

Sometimes I think there aren't many replies due to you doing too good a job :D I think this shows there is plenty of interest in the thread though ;)
  • Views: 4,618

Agree. It's a joke the Racing Post doesn't cover it similarly.

The flat season has not electrified anyone yet this season.
No post on Epsom Derby thread and only three days to go; The Curragh development is a complete B@@@s up and Winter though a top top filly is badly named!
The first season sires are dull so far if only for the reason that the "big " names have shown nothing yet.
This is not any reflection on you Colin , you are and have been doing an excellent job here as long as i have been involved here.
Keep up the excellent work please if only for the so far silent majority that are your fan club.
As Slim says the racing post could well use your services,though chances are are they would prefer to cover virtual raceform and pedigrees.

Beckford (Bated Breath) will not be going to Royal Ascot. We'll see him again in the Railway Stakes on Irish Derby day.

Last edited:
Thanks for the supportive posts.

Yesterday - Electric Landlady a nice 20/1 winner for RED JAZZ.

Today:

Lindfield 1.40

MAZZAMEER- The Kiddie Kid
CITYSCAPE - Dan's Dream

Lindfield 2.10

MAZZAMEER - Milton Road
RED JAZZ - Sausage Fingers

Leopardstown 5.45

SWISS SPIRIT - Spirit Power
SOCIETY ROCK - Air Of Nobility

Chelmsford 6.10

LETHAL FORCE - Queen Of Kalahari

No winners yesterday.

Today's runners:

Bath 6.20

SOCIETY ROCK - Dahik
SOCIETY ROCK - Fab

Goodwood 6.40

DECLARATION OF WAR - Aiya (half-brother to Frozen Fire, winner of the 2008 Irish Derby)
RECKLESS ABANDON - Collateral
LETHAL FORCE - Frostbite
CAMELOT - Island Court (I believe this is the sire's second runner, first one ran surprisingly well on debut, showing unexpected early speed)
EPAULETTE - Merchant Marine
RED JAZZ - Snazzy Jazzy

Yesterday there winners for SOCIETY ROCK (Dahik) and RED JAZZ (Snazzy Jazzy).

Today:

Navan 1.20

TOUGH AS NAILS - Early Call - available at 33/1
HAVANA GOLD - Treasuring 3/1

Musselburgh 2.15

LETHAL FORCE - Angel Force 40/1

Doncaster 2.30

CITYSCAPE - Boss Koko 66/1
DAWN APPROACH - Daffrah 10/1

Newcastle 6.10

WORTHADD - Bustam 8/11 (only beaten a head when second at Ayr on debut).

In the past on here I have mentioned how much Charlie Appleby's 2-y-os improve from their first to second run. Well it seems the trainer has completely changed his approach.

Results for F.T.O 2-y-o's over the last four years for the period April 1 to June 2 :

2014 1 win from 16 runners
2015 0 from 12
2016 1 from 4
2017 8 from 10

It will be difficult, perhaps impossible, to maintain the present strike rate but his runners must be considered.

Last edited:
A quick look at the top 2-y-o sires and leading the table once again is my old friend KODIAC.

KODIAC 14 winners
SOCIETY ROCK 8
HOLY ROMAN EMPEROR 7
SWISS SPIRIT 6

KODIAC 48
SIR PRANCEALOT 42
DARK ANGEL 38
EXCEED AND EXCEL 36

KODIAC 58
DARK ANGEL 37
EXCEED AND EXCEL 36
ZOFFANY 36

KODIAC 55
SHOWCASING 41
ZEBEDEE 39
DARK ANGEL 32
ACCLAMATION 32

Can't get better than that, shirley.

Stallion fees

KODIAC 50,000 pounds
DARK ANGEL 65,000
EXCEED AND EXCEL 50,000

So if you fancy buying a 2-y-o that will win and you have a bob or three in your pocket you know which stallion to go for.

This years FSS sires don't, at this point, appear as 'good' as last years. There are many good 2yo sires, so that is obviously a factor.

These were the leaders on June 12th. 2016:

HELMET 6 wins 27 runs
ELZAAM 6-28
SIR PRANCEALOT 6-63
POWER 5-17
DRAGON PULSE 5-31
BATED BREATH 5-33

Last edited:
Today's first season sire runners:

Thirsk 2.00

SOCIETY ROCK - Emerald Rocket

Thirsk 2.30

RED JAZZ - Jedi Master
MAZAMEER - Rickyroadboy

Leicester 2.20

MOST IMPROVED - Cheeky Rascal
SOCIETY ROCK - Major Peirson
HAVANA GOLD - Blue Havana

Windsor 5.40

LETHAL FORCE - Lethal Lunch

ED, I'll put up some figures when we reach the same point as I did last year's table - next Sunday.

Jedi Master was a winner for RED JAZZ yesterday.

Today's runners:

Chepstow 2.00

SOCIETY ROCK - So Hi Society (foaling date 15.2) available @ 13/2

Wetherby 2.10

TOUGH AS NAILS - Tough Remedy (21.4) 12/1

Wetherby 2.40

RED JAZZ - Jedi Master (22.2) 6/4, was a winner at Thirsk yesterday, possibility that he won't run.

Yarmouth 2.20

SOCIETY ROCK - Immortal Romance (1.5) 5/2
LETHAL FORCE - Tony Soprano (6.3) 10/1

Last edited:
I've been having a look at A.P. O'Brien's 2-y-o runners in Ireland having noticed how many of his superbly bred horses fail to win on their first outings.

From 2014 to the present day 9.8% of his first time 2-y-os have won. The percentage of winners on their second run leaps to 32.7 but you would still have made a loss backing them.

So far this season he has had no first-time winners but 44.4% have won on their second run but still you would have made a loss.

So there doesn't seem to be a way of making a profit by backing them, not a layer myself but would that have some possibilities?

With Ascot on the horizon I've had a look at Aiden's 2-y-o record there.

2014 he had three runners War Envoy, The Great War and Dick Whittington all of them were beaten.

2015 four runners Air Force Blue (lost), Washington DC (won 5/1), Waterloo Bridge (won 12/1) and Ballydoyle (lost).

Last year 2016 was much busier with seven runners; three winners Caravaggio (13/8), Brave Anna (16/1) and Churchill (8/11) and the losers Pedestal, Roly Poly, Peace Envoy and Cuff.

A couple of nice priced winners showing a pretty profit for his followers.

Probably go 'tits up' this year it's the way of the world - ho hum.

Last edited:
Thanks Col

War Command won the Coventry at a juicy 20/1 in 2013 too as well as Power in 2011 and Cristoforo Colombo finishing 2nd in '12.

Back