2-y-os 2017

And still some 8/1 available about Declarationofpeace for this years race.....

Two FSS winners yesterday; SOCIETY ROCK successful with So Hi Society and RED JAZZ with Jedi Master (two wins in two days for this one). In addition the TOUGH AS NAILS colt Tough Remedy finished second after being very unlucky in running.

Today's runners:

Wolverhampton 2.20

SOCIETY ROCK - Vegas Boy (foaling date 30.4) available @ 40/1
SOCIETY ROCK - Roses In June (24.3) 66/1

Ripon 6.35

LETHAL FORCE - Gangland (29.3) 11/2
DAWN APPROACH - Nomorecalls (25.2) 6/1
MAZAMEER - Miss Mazzie (13.3) 40/1

Last edited:
Are there any evident trends on whether the FSS sires are showing a preference for a particular type of course, going etc? I am very interested as to which of these sires are looking like showing a preference for a particular A/W surface, especially Tapeta.

No winners yesterday but I feel it is worth giving a mention to the DAWN APPROACH colt Nomorecalls. Colty in the paddock, reluctant to load and still showing off, broke well and began the race on 'five legs', in the circumstances ran really well competing for the lead with the eventual winner before his antics beforehand took their toll and faded into third.

Today's runners

Ripon 2.00

SOCIETY ROCK - Shaheen (5.2) 11/2

Haydock 2.40

SOCIETY ROCK - Gift In Time (29.4) 4/1

Haydock 3.10

DABIRSIM - Fenagh (7.2) 50/1

Leopardstown 5.50

DAWN APPROACH - Back At Dawn (17.3) 9/1
EPAULETTE - Dianthus (1.2) 100/1

Carlisle 6.40

CITYSCAPE - Barney George (1.4) 18/1

Colin

This is a quality thread, you are doing great stuff here. In another month I will have some input regarding what some of these first seasoners seem to like or not like regarding going and track type. Its just too early at the moment, but when we get to the 2nd half of the season, I feel this thread can be very profitable, even without betting on which sire will be top dog. Thats not to say it isn't now, but the more input from others the better.

Please do not think its not being appreciated, it is greatly so being. Many thanks for your efforts. One of the better threads anywhere on the internet regarding horse racing.

Last edited:
Anyone see September's win just now at Leopardstown, looked pretty impressive from what little I know about 2yo's.

Most visually impressive debut I have seen in a while. By Peeping Fawn, will stay. Interesting to see Coolmoore promote Deep Impact with some of their better mares.

Spanish Tenor may well like the going, but 3 seconds slower wouldn't get me running for a chequebook tbh. It all depends if you value time, maybe its only means anything in jail eh?;)

Last edited:
Today's first season sire runners:

Carlisle 2.10

LETHAL FORCE - Move It Move It (7.3) 7/4
SOCIETY ROCK - Rockin Fella (9.4) 2/1

Brighton 2.20

EPAULETTE - City Guest (27.3) 80/1
LETHAL FORCE - Butterfly Spirit (27.3) 100/1

Haydock 6.50

LETHAL FORCE - Red Force One (25.4) 10/11

No FSS winners yesterday but the EPAULETTE colt City Guest didn't have the best of luck, ran into trouble as they often do at Brighton but once he had a clear run he finished very strongly and would have been contesting the lead with an extra 100 yds.

Who said there was too much racing on a Saturday - there are only seven flat meetings today. Too much of a good thing tends to make you queasy.

Today's FSS runners.

Newmarket 1.55

HAVANA GOLD - Global Wealth (13.3) 12/1
SOCIETY ROCK - Tangled (5.2) 4/1

Chester 2.00

SWISS SPIRIT - Awsaaf (29.1) 7/4
EPAULETTE - Gabrial The Devil (7.4) no price! perhaps a N.R.
HAVANA GOLD - Our Man In Havana (6.4) 9/1
SOCIETY ROCK - Arum (25.4) 5/1

Beverley 2.40

SWISS SPIRIT - Joe's Spirit (1.4) 12/1
SWISS SPIRIT - Cool Spirit (25.2) 12/1

Beverley 3.15

HAVANA GOLD - Chica La Habana (4.4) 8/1

Curragh 2.25

RED JAZZ - Burgundy Boy (14.2) 33/1

Curragh 3.00

TOUGH AS NAILS - Early Call (7.5) 25/1

Bell Watch

Joe's Spirit had been showing up well on the gallops. Not in the same class as Main Desire he had been showing he was better than Choice Encounter. Today's race is a big step up from his maiden win but interesting for Bell to measure where this colt stands. I'd say unlikely to win.

Bell Watch

Joe's Spirit had been showing up well on the gallops. Not in the same class as Main Desire he had been showing he was better than Choice Encounter. Today's race is a big step up from his maiden win but interesting for Bell to measure where this colt stands. I'd say unlikely to win.

I noticed one of his at Lingfield last week finish 2nd Highlight Reel. Was weak in betting so presumably wasn't considered wound up but ran an eyecatching race looked best horse to my eye. Any word?

Yesterday's FSS winners:

SOCIETY ROCK - Armum Chester 2.00
HAVANA GOLD - Chica La Habana Beverley 3.15

Today's runners:

Goodwood 4.15

MAZAMEER - Milton Road (8.6) 6/4 (has now had his second birthday and is dropped into a seller)

Curragh 2.10

DAWN APPROACH - Moghamarah (20.2) 9/2

After yesterday's result the leading first season sires are:

SOCIETY ROCK 10 wins (well done Benny)
HAVANA GOLD 7
RED JAZZ 7
SWISS SPIRIT 6

Those are the only ones with more than two winners.

Eleonora you said you thought that this year's sires were not as good as last years. The thing that stands out from the figures that there have been many fewer runners, win percentage not that different.

2016 wins 57 runs 398 win %age 14.3

2017 36/265/13.6

I noticed one of his at Lingfield last week finish 2nd Highlight Reel. Was weak in betting so presumably wasn't considered wound up but ran an eyecatching race looked best horse to my eye. Any word?

Well Joe's Spirit came last, and that is not a help in giving us a marker for the ability of the 2yos.
As regards Highlight Reel he featured in a gallop with Immortal Romance and Joe's Spirit at the end of May. Joe's Spirit looked the one to take away from that particular gallop, and in fact he won his maiden 2 days later. What was noticeable was HR was the horse most tested in the gallop. He came out level with IR but was being harder ridden than the other 2. I'd take away from that that HR was the most backward of the 3. He may be more capable of more improvement than the other 2. But this is a huge assumption and it is very difficult to be certain of too much. Immortal Romance has made his debut and ran a satisfactory 3rd.

Bell Watch

Not showing much at the moment, but Arabian Jazz was again shown easily holding a couple of so far unraced 2yos.
One filly I have been waiting for is First Drive, who I mentioned a while back. She appeared in a gallop then and looked useful. She runs Tuesday and is to be ridden by Moore. She is by Street Cry and from the Highclere family.

Eleanora Duse, do you work at Bells ? Because Arabian Jazz worked with First Drive last Saturday and Arabian Jazz was going easily the better of the pair. Both were partnered by apprentices in their gallop.

What do you make of the So You Think colt? He's certainly a looker and has been looking good in his early work to us. House Edge is another who looks like he will be nice when the 7f races start. What's your views on these two.

Last edited:
Yesterday's FSS winners:

Eleonora you said you thought that this year's sires were not as good as last years. The thing that stands out from the figures that there have been many fewer runners, win percentage not that different.

2017 36/265/13.6

Interesting point Eleanora Duse makes as you say Colin, but I think that would be a reflection of many when last years debut crops included Nathaniel and Frankel who look most impressive stallions. What is noticeable about FSS who have had runners this season and winners, is they were more speed based stallions so the fact winners have come early may well suggest their progeny are more forward and not better class wise. I would be surprised come the end of the season if the likes of Society Rock, Havana Gold and Swiss Spirit were producing Group 1 winners.

All eyes on Buridan (Choisir) in the 6.00 Windsor tomorrow. 4/1 into 10/11 overnight and getting backed for the Norfolk at Royal Ascot as well.

Back