2000 Guineas

Really:blink: That's the Phoenix isn't it?

Well I fear you might be right. Something does need testing, with the Curragh's timing's mechanism, or the RP's reporting, joining eye-sight on the list of possible candidates then.

There were three races run over C&D that day. The handicap which featured a top-rated horse of 98 was won in a time 0.62 secs faster, and the listed fillies race 1.07 secs faster.

In total the following horses all completed the course faster than Mastercraftsman;

Kingsdale Ocean
Nasterelli
Copper Dock
Fair Penny Lane
My Girl Sophie
Shaunas Princess
Romeos on Fire
Lady Schmuck
Elletelle
Aleague of their own
Akua Ba
Age of Chivalry
Dementicata
Ghost Milk
Wychwood Wanderer

In addition, I'm struggling to find any evidence it was "fast ground" too. Not a single horse got within 3.5L to 4L's of standard that day. If that was truly fast ground, something would have done. My own going correction brought it out at +1.32 (quicker side of Good).

Now I'm no great lover of the standard times at Longchamp and reckon they're just about the most ancient around, but 39 horses beat standard on Arc day (including Mastercraftsman - it's just that 3 other horses also beat it faster than him, a filly also ran it faster than him too).

Now the obvious explanation involves the difference in class of races, but that is why we make an allowance using class pars, in order to give some of this time back to lower grade horses and try and equalise things thus. I actually found myself having to omit the Phoenix from the calculation though, precisely because it was one of the two slowest adjusted races and would otherwise risk contaminating the calculation.

If wind was a factor at the Curragh, then the only evidence I have would suggest it was working against those at longer distances, as the 10F race was the only one on the card that adjusted slow (-0.45) which was also omitted.

If you break the races down into mile aggregates you get the following

-2.40 (Mastercraftsman)

These aren't the sort of times you see for fast ground, (Goodish? yes) anymore than its any evidence to think that Mastercraftsman's been in a fast race.

Now this isn't to take the argument into a mathematical jousting match regardless of what it might appear to look like. I just don't see any evidence that;

a) The Phoenix was fast (and certainly compared against the Lagadere)
b) The ground was fast

Therefore any objective conclusion at this stage would have to be that Mastercraftsman had never been exposed to a truly run fast pace (or never seen one out anyway that resulted in an overall fast time) until such time as he ran in the Lagadere. Whether there's any significance in the fact that the first time he was required to go with a fast pace he lost, is another issue, but essentially the one I'm posing? Is it also coincidence, that the first time both horses were asked to do this Intense Focus reversed form? Is it an additional coincidence that when he was asked to do the same again, Intense Focus put up another career best and won the Dewhurst?

I'm no great fan of Intense Focus (don't like the horse) but the numbers are neutral, and that's what they're telling me on their limited interpretation at this stage. When he was met with a similarly slow pace again, in the Leopardstown trial, then he's under-performed, probably being done for lack of gears.

If I were Bolger I'd be tempted to throw a pacemaker in myself, and if I were O'Brien I'd be more inclined to throw in some roadblockers instead.

There is an old adage with any speed analysis however, that says just because a horse hasn't run a fast time doesn't mean it can't. So far to date though, both of the Ballydoyle horses have found opponents more capable of doing so when the gun's been put to their heads and they've been unable to respond.

If we get a moderate pace, the whole thing is obviously redundant. If we get a quick one though, all of the front 4 in the market look vulnerable to differing degrees on what they've shown so far.

Last edited:
There'd be another (albeit not conclusive) line of investigation regarding both the idea that the ground was fast and that Mastercraftsman was asked to go fast too.

Unfortunately both the 2005 and 2006 cards featured different races to the 2008 renewal, but I'll have a go anyway.

In 2006 the ground was also described as Good to Firm when Holy Roman Emperor won, and in doing so beat standard time over C&D by 0.44 secs. Now if anyone seriously believes that Mastercraftsman faced similar ground (Good to Firm) as somewhat erroneously declared by the Curragh, then they need to seriously worry if backing Mastercraftsman. I wouldn't dispute the 2006 declaration, because for a 2yo to beat the Curragh standard does indeed point to G/F. In doing so though he's beaten Mastercraftsman by some 2.26 secs (getting on for between 11 to 13L's). Now obviously there's degree of going which can be covered by the same description, which is why we calculate variance numerically, as this relies on more discriminatory figures rather than the English language, but given the Holy Roman Emperor wouldn't be the best 2yo of his generation it doesn't look too good on this evidence.

Two other races were run at 6F in 2006. The first was an all age Gp3 and the other was a 2yo fillies maiden. The latter wouldn't really tell us much as we'd expect the colts to beat the fillies all things being equal, and HRE did indeed beat Arch Swing by 1.34 secs (George Washington did the same to Mrs Snaffles by 1.82 secs the year previous)

The clue lies in their respective performances against that of the Gp3 winner, and then trying to draw some comparison with Mastercraftsman's against Elletelle who won the 6F fillies Listed race.

HRE beat Moss Vale by 0.03 secs
GW beat Osterhose by 0.50 secs

by contrast MCM lost to Elletelle by 1.09 secs in what should have been a weaker race given its grade and conditions. Again you're seeing a similar deficit with GW enjoying something in the region of a 12L+ level superiorty and HRE about 6.5L's + (probably more given that Moss Vale wouldn't be a back number at 6F's)

Now if the hypothesis is that MCM has been subjected to a true test etc then the evidence is pointing towards the conclusion that he's failed it. Both GW and HRE recorded the fastest of three time run over C&D where as MCM recorded the slowest against what was theoretically weaker opposition in the benchmark races.

His chance would therefore appear to lie in the notion that he hasn't been subjected to the type of race that your eyes have led to believe he has. If anyone still thinks he has incidentally, then he's comfortably short off HRE and GW at the same stage in their development using both a speed figure and benchmark comparators, which means Aiden's got to tease about 12L's of improvement from him, on top of what everything else is also improving at, as the opposition won't be so obliging as to stand still and allow him to catch up.

My own suspicion though, is that he hasn't been subjected to such a race so I'd be prepared to discard the Phoenix to some extent (if he has, then he's got little chance of winning the guineas if that's as good as he is, and looks about right for 8th place or similar).

He was only really asked to extend for the first time in the Lagadere on ground which according to the times, was fast. He put up his own personal high water mark in this race, but came 4th in doing so.

His chance seemignly lies in the fact that you've got to be satisfied that his Longchamp debacle was all wrong for reasons other than ability. He would also have a chance in that this years crop look competitive, if poor, compared to recent fields, and therefore the amount of additional improvement required could be bridgable. Hopefully, he should have learnt something from being exposed to a quick pace for the first time too and be better equipped to deal with it than he was in Paris, where it might have come as a bit of a shock to him. If his Phoenix win however is indicative as how good he is then he's got a hell of a task on his plate.

I saw similar figures for Gypsy King as a 3yo and felt he had something like a dozen lengths to find on his Chester run prior to the Derby. Over a much shorter time frame Aiden only really succeeded in coaxing 'natural' improvement out of him and the performance deficit remained pretty well spot on (almost to a neck) and it came as no surprise when he failed to place, albeit he did marginally better than I thought he would (I had him booked for anywhere between 4th and 8th)

I wouldn't give up on him, but he wouldn't be for me at the prices. I do however respect that if anyone's going to tease this improvement out of him, then its AOB, and in what looks like a weak year, that it is possible (especially as two of the faster 2yo sorts are swerving the race) so the improvement required might be found. At this stage though, I'd need to believe that Longchamp was all wrong, and I'd need to know why, (or at least have a plausible explanation that wasn't rooted in denial)

Last edited:
At this stage though, I'd need to believe that Longchamp was all wrong, and I'd need to know why, (or at least have a plausible explanation that wasn't rooted in denial)

He`d had a hard race on heavy ground three weeks before the Lagardere. Two year olds can suddenly just go off in the Autumn. I remember Harayir and Cape Verdi both disappointing in their final starts as juveniles and both being juicy prices over the winter. The bookies overreact to such defeats.

How many Guineas winners ran as bad as Mastercraftsman in their last run of their 2 year old year?

He`d had a hard race on heavy ground three weeks before the Lagardere. Two year olds can suddenly just go off in the Autumn. I remember Harayir and Cape Verdi both disappointing in their final starts as juveniles and both being juicy prices over the winter. The bookies overreact to such defeats.

Fair enough, that would be one such explanation (and one of the more plausible) but like I said, you'd need to happy that this was the case. Mind you, it would suggest Intense Focus is made of stern stuff, and he even took in, and won a Dewhurst after these two races as well. A horse can always throw in a bad'un, but I'd be much happier if he'd done so on the back of win that was run at a Gp1 pace. His par figure for the Phoenix was 97.52 (with me) which works out as a Gp1 win in a Gp3 time.

Cheers. It's as much the manner of the defeat which puts me off.

I will most likely place lay both AOB runners.

20 of the last 21 winners placed on their last run prior to winning the guineas

Last run or last run as a 2yo? Cos Rodrigo was 4th in the Greenham and Grand Lodge was nowhere in the Craven (he was the moral winner of his Guineas)

Last edited:
I will most likely place lay both AOB runners.

I'm contemplating similar, but will probably wait until the day, as i suspect one of the O'Brien runners will be sent off shorter as fav.

So far as I can gather the gamble on Delegator started before the Craven, which makes me think it must have been a combination of Newmarket or informed money, and some of these folk will probably be looking to lay back. My guess is that 7/2 is as short as he goes. Joe punter doesn't normally have ready access to gallops info any more than they've historically shown any great penchant for backing it too, as he was being backed down well before the Craven. I'd be surprised if he remains fav as public money starts to affect the price, and they'll almost certainly get stuck into one of Aiden's (looking like RVW at the moment).

O'Briens record of course deserves plenty of respect, but he failed to make the frame in 2007, 2004, 2003, 2001 and 1999 so its not as if he has a divine right to place. To my mind at least he's fielding a weaker team this year than he has in previous, and his record suggests that if he does make the first three, then he's more likely to win then place, so if you want to take on the Ballydoyle contingent you may as well attract more money onto your lay and stretch to the place?

I can see the logic to it. But having laid Delegator the place already, I'm not too sure I want to take both of O'Briens on as well

Rodrigo blew up spectacularly in the Greenham but it brought him on a bundle . Watching that Guineas on RUK he was running away with Lester and hacked up - nice to see a horse deliberately delivered late in a classic .

Last run or last run as a 2yo? Cos Rodrigo was 4th in the Greenham and Grand Lodge was nowhere in the Craven (he was the moral winner of his Guineas)

My point would be last run as a 2 year old; idea being that horses are not always fit and out to win the trials but it would be a rare occurence if a horse wins the Guineas having run as poorly as MCM did in France.

"More worrying is the form of the Aiden O'Brien yard, with Yeats the latest to disappoint. O'Brien has started incredibly slowly given his depth of talent and I can't believe that either of the two horses are going to be anywhere near their peak on Saturday. For me both have to be taken on."

- T. Segal in the Weekender

"More worrying is the form of the Aiden O'Brien yard, with Yeats the latest to disappoint. O'Brien has started incredibly slowly given his depth of talent and I can't believe that either of the two horses are going to be anywhere near their peak on Saturday. For me both have to be taken on."

- T. Segal in the Weekender

Latest to disappoint? Whats the list?

Cullinan = Himalaya
Winstanley = Rip Van Winkle
Mordin = Mastercraftsman
Molloy = Mastercraftsman
Stevens = Mastercraftsman
Russell = Lord Shanakill e/w
Masters = Delegator
Edwards = Intense Focus
Hunter = Intense Focus
Whitehouse-Jones = Evasive
Segal = Doesn't seen to know, but seems to have it between Arazan and Delegator on softer ground, but says its wide open otherwise. Apart from that, he seems to be advocating laying the O'Brien pair (something which of course he never does himself)

Last edited:
Speaking of which, missed this yesterday:

John Oxx has warned bettors that neither of his colts is certain to run in Saturday's stanjames.co.uk 2000 Guineas.

Arazan is the shortest-priced of his pair, but the quick ground is a concern for Oxx; Sea The Stars, meanwhile, has not sparkled in his work on the soft turf at home at The Curragh.

Oxx told the Racing Post: "Arazan's preparation has gone very well and he's done everything the way we wanted, but our concern would be the ground.

"We're very wary about running him on good to firm on his first start of the season. While I can see us running him on quick ground later on, if the ground at Newmarket is going to be good to firm, it's quite possible he will not run."

Sea The Stars is considered a potential Derby horse later in the campaign, but he is still in the Guineas picture.

However, Oxx admitted: "You'd like to see a colt going to the Guineas do a sparkling gallop leading up to the race, but - because of the soft ground here at The Curragh - that hasn't happened Sea The Stars.

"He hasn't worked as well as he had been working on good ground or as well as he worked at Leopardstown eight days ago; that was a good bit of upsides work, on the bridle, with Arazan.

"Sea The Stars had a temperature on March 17 and, while he's recovered well, his recent work hasn't been what it was. That could be down to the ground - or it could be that the Guineas may be coming too soon for him."

No headline here, just a question: if Oxx hasn´t had a runner, will Kinane ride whoever JM doesn´t pick?

Back