2000 Guineas

Ardross

Senior Jockey
Now Cheltenham is over time to consider the classics.

Kingman is absurdly short at 5-1 - Toormore best value at 8-1 for me but this is a year when the trials will tell us a lot I think.

grassy will be furious

australia is an even worse price than kingman. derby horse rather than guineas surely.

grassy will be furious

australia is an even worse price than kingman. derby horse rather than guineas surely.

I would be surprised to see Australia run in the race - Ballysax and Derrinstown more likely. War Command may be suffering from familiarity breeds contempt but he looks more a Guineas type than Aus.

Toormore is the one that stands out to me as well.

War Command looked workmanlike in the Dewhurst and Australia has a Derby pedigree.

Kingman is a stupid price.
Night of Thunder will win plenty on soft ground. Though a mile may be pushing it. Jersey horse maybe.

Australia is 5.3 on the machine. Jesus.

All hype as usual, the same thing happened with Cristoforo Colombo last year. Was well over double figures during the winter and he shortened after AOB started saying he was working really well. Horses with his sort of pedigree only win really terrible 2000 Guineas, Camelot's was the worst since Golan's.

Roll on the Craven meeting though I think due to the timing of EAster it is after the Newbury spring meeting this year.

Connections of QIPCO 2000 Guineas fancy Kingman will consider giving the exciting colt a prep run ahead of his potential Classic bid at Newmarket on May 3.

John Gosden's son of Invincible Spirit made a huge impression when striking by six lengths on his July Course debut at the of June and took the step up to Pattern class in his stride when easing to victory in Sandown's Solario Stakes two months later.

The youngster missed an intended run on Arc weekend at Longchamp in October, having a chip in a joint surgically removed, but has pleased his team since returning from his winter break.

Teddy Grimthorpe, racing manager for owner Khalid Abdullah, said: "Kingman is fine. He had a very good winter and everyone is pleased with him.

"He hasn't done a lot so far this year, but he is in strong exercise now and all the reports I've had from John have been good.

"I think it's a bit early to say (whether he will run before the Guineas).

"I think ideally John would perhaps like to give him a run if he could, but obviously we will wait and see how the horse is doing nearer the time.

"He's had a bit of a lay-off, but at the same time he's in good form."

Surely he will need a run - it will be a big ask to go into that race with so little experience and after all that time off.

Toormore on course for Craven:

http://www.attheraces.com/article.a...ven&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

At the current odds as well as Toormore I like Be Ready.

I remember a few years back Nick Mordin saying he always favoured the better looking horses in the Guineas as they were probably the most forward at such an early stage in their careers. This is a rampant aftertime so apologies but Mordin's theory makes sense and I remember looking at the posed portraits in Timeform's 2003 Annual and Haffhd appealed much more from a looks point of view than ante-post Guineas favourite One Cool Cat. And he was 33s at the time the book was published. Yes please.

In this year's Annual Be Ready is one of the better looking animals that stood for a posed portrait. Of any age.

Toormore on course for Craven:

http://www.attheraces.com/article.a...ven&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

At the current odds as well as Toormore I like Be Ready.

I remember a few years back Nick Mordin saying he always favoured the better looking horses in the Guineas as they were probably the most forward at such an early stage in their careers. This is a rampant aftertime so apologies but Mordin's theory makes sense and I remember looking at the posed portraits in Timeform's 2003 Annual and Haffhd appealed much more from a looks point of view than ante-post Guineas favourite One Cool Cat. And he was 33s at the time the book was published. Yes please.

In this year's Annual Be Ready is one of the better looking animals that stood for a posed portrait. Of any age.

Be Ready entered in the Greenham with Kingman and Night of Thunder.

Was tempted to go to the Greenham this year but decided to stick to original plan and go on Friday. Saw Berkshire last year at Newmarket but was not impressed.

In common with several others on here I was impressed last year with Astaire's debut run. Cost me when beaten by Anjaal but repaid and more winning the Gimcrack and Middle Park.
I have a feeling that 7f will be his optimum trip and thus despite FOAC policy the sum total of my AP bet is £12, although at average 138 it's
worthwhile as a punt.
I think he will have a fair chance in the Greenham on Saturday and will be backing him. Backing first start, second season, is going in blind to some extent but he is a classy horse.

Last edited:
Back