2007 Departures - Horses In Training

Status
Not open for further replies.
@ Galileo: does that mean they had to put Iktitaf down? Or "just" out with his tendon injury?

Still no news on Pole Star?

IKTITAF, who started the season as a leading contender for Champion Hurdle honours before his career was ended by a serious tendon injury last month, has had to be down after complications set in and his injured near-foreleg became infected.

Trainer Noel Meade said on Monday: "Unfortunately, we had to have Iktitaf put down today. He had surgery for his badly injured tendon last month and it was touch and go whether he could be saved.

“We knew his racing career was over and it was a case of just hoping he would recover enough to enjoy his retirement. However, the wound became infected and we had no option but to have him put down. It's most unfortunate as he was a very good horse and a great servant to the yard. We were really looking forward to this season with him.”

The six-year-old won seven of his 15 races over hurdles for owner Pat Sloan and achieved three successes at Grade 1 level.

He won the Royal Bond Novice Hurdle at Fairyhouse in December 2005 and, after being forced by a setback to miss the Cheltenham Festival, wound up that season by landing the VCBet Champion Novice Hurdle at the Punchestown festival.

His third Grade 1 victory came in the Maplewood Developments Morgiana Hurdle at Punchestown in November 2006 and he was being prepared for last month's renewal of that race when he sustained a bad injury after schooling over four hurdles at Meade's training base near Navan.

On his only attempt in the Smurfit Kappa Champion Hurdle, Iktitaf was still in contention when falling three out at Cheltenham in March.

Bred by Shadwell Estates, he won a 1m3f three-year-old maiden at Chester for Sheikh Mohammed and John Gosden before joining Meade after being sold for 85,000gns at the Tattersalls Horses-in-Training Sales later that year.

He wenton to win last year's Irish Cesarewitch under Pat Smullen before reverting to hurdles and running up a hat-trick of wins before finishing second to Brave Inca in the Bewleyshotels.com December Festival Hurdle at the Leopardstown Christmas meeting.

A son of Alhaarth, Iktitaf underwent a wind operation after finishing only sixth behind Silent Oscar in the ACC Bank Champion Hurdle in April on what proved to be his final start.

Thanks for that, Aldaniti. I was hunting around the 'net for any fresh news on him only last night. It's very sad that things didn't work out.

Thanks Aldaniti, even though one had to fear that its a shock and once again so evry sad news. NH is no fun at moment :(

Go Johnny at Exeter today, fatal fall.
Very sad news, he was one I was really following, thanks to Chris

Bearing in mind a remark of Warbler's the other day, could we close this thread and re-start it in the private section of the forum? Just a thought... It's getting very long anyway

PS Sloppy reporting on the part of the RP - the horse didn't fall but his leg was swinging after landing and he was quickly PU and put out of his misery, the creature.

Bearing in mind a remark of Warbler's the other day, could we close this thread and re-start it in the private section of the forum? Just a thought... It's getting very long anyway

Well 2007 is nearly over, so a new thread would normally be started in Jan anyway What's the general opinion of the forum?

I wonder what the "private" part of the forum is anyway :what:

No, think to go on as normal and start new one in 2008.

By private I meant the part of the forum which is only open to members, ie people who have registered. As Warbler pointed out, anyone can now visit this thread without logging in.

Whilst none of us would refuse to face racing's realities, we don't want to make AA's life - nor that of any of the forces which would ban racing - any easier either. Agree to start a new thread in Jan, tho I think they should go in 'seasons' personally - ie flat season / jump season. We didn't start a new thread last year iirc, so it's time to do so anyway.

Some horrible falls already today but the last race at Wincanton was a horror show...

Berengario almost certainly killed outright when falling at the last before the turn-in while Waltzing Beau was brought down and looked to suffer a similar fate.

Not pleasant

Two mares sadly died yesterday.

Eden Linty, PU but reported dead in the RP 'in running' notes, no further details

Our Elite runner Inherent, by In The Wings, who I knew well in her younger days at Clive Cox's
She was huge even as a youngster and her frame just seemed to keep on getting bigger. Clive had terrible trouble trying to get and keep her sound, and didn't run her til late in her 3 yr old season.
I was very fond of her and well remember the wonderful day she won her first at Newbury on Dec 14th 05. She took a heavy fall yesterday, her first fall, and the racehorse vet put her down after finding she'd broken her pelvis. Not surprising to me as I always feared she'd be too 'big and brittle' for jumping

HS, Very sad news about the mare. I liked her, and also thought she was too heavy, and not a fluent mover, to look like a good jumper. I hate to see horses go over obstacles who do not seem to suit them.

Sorry but I couldn't find the 08 thread.I'm trying to find out if Yvanovitch,Richard Guests horse, is OK? Was at Catterick last Friday when the horse fell & I didn't see him get up or come back.Any news would be welcome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back