2018 Gold Cuppin'

two best horses out front all the way, top class. it won't go down as a vintage gold cup but i think those two would compete in most eras racing like that. delighted for tizzard.

have to say thought flanagan did very well on road to respect, hugged the inner most of the way for the better ground and got best he could out of that horse in conditions. very happy with that

and good old djakadam ran a great race in his fourth gold cup. he may be short of very best but id love to have a horse that could run in four gold cups and finish second, second, third, fifth.

I wasn't on Native River but that was as brave as Coneygree, fantastic to see it done from the front on that kind of ground.

Now I've stopped sulking and realise I've actually enjoyed a profitable Cheltenham, I've got to say it was undoubtedly the ground that cost Might Bite.

especially when trainer has reputation for not being able to bring horses back...which isnt an unfair criticism at times..but he's done a hell of a job to keep him going from 4

Assuming MB gets over this, it will be great to see him destroy everything around him on better ground.

These chances don't come around too often. Just his bad luck that the weather went against him. Next year he'll possibly have to contend with Footpad & Presting Percy.

Not saying he can't do it but it won't get any easier.

Last edited:
Can't agree with you pal....Nico was fantastic in defeat and did absolutely nothing wrong.

I was in a sulk cause Might Bite didn't kick on. Apologies to Nico, watched it back and nothing more he could have done. Native River was getting further away and Might Bite nearly ran to a stop he was that fucked.

Good ground I believe it would have been a demolition job. Possibly the last we see of a great horse in Might Bite after an horrificly tough race in horrible conditions.

These chances don't come around too often. Just his bad luck that the weather went against him. Next year he'll possibly have to contend with Footpad & Presting Percy.

Not saying he can't do it but it won't get any easier.

You wouldn't think Native River could win another Gold Cup his type very seldom string 2 together. Footpad I think is a flash in the pan but Presenting Percy is a right horse and future Gold Cup horse IMO

NH on RUK not ruling out Aintree ("he'll tell us") starts off in the King George next season and will be heading back to The Festival.

Actually Archie I was at Hexam watching the race with the late Tony Charlton and I said after the race Bregawn will win next year......Tony reckoned I was spot on so we..oops sorry...I backed him AP

Somehow Native River brought those memories back and I though with the same kind of improvement Native River could emulate him..............funny how we reach some conclusions but there ya go :lol:

Actually Archie I was at Hexam watching the race with the late Tony Charlton and I said after the race Bregawn will win next year......Tony reckoned I was spot on so we..oops sorry...I backed him AP

Somehow Native River brought those memories back and I though with the same kind of improvement Native River could emulate him..............funny how we reach some conclusions but there ya go :lol:

New entry for the aftertiming championships. I'm kidding. That's a good story. First Gold Cup Winner I can remember was Bregawn (Irish for 'toys', for those who care about that sort of thing).

I thought the Gold Cup was a wonderful race - looked a two horse race after about three fences !

I so so hope Might Bite was just done by the ground and doesn't end up like Wayward Lad - though he would have won a Gold Cup if they had not brought in that ******* mare's allowance .

Just watched it again and still thought the Biter was going to win!

He would have got away from NR heading to 2 out on better ground imo. Take nothing away from the winner on the day though. When they were jumping the last upsides he was always going to outstay the biter up the hill on that ground.

I dared to hope when he briefly headed the winner after 2 out but knew Native River wouldn’t let him assert.

It’s a bit odd imo that the winner keeps the race when the rider has broken the rules but that’s the way it is

I see NJH is talking about running the Biter at aintree but hope not as the horse has had a real hard race here

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If it was the ground rather than anything else that beat him then he might not have had as hard a race as it looked. He was only only asked for maximum effort between the last two whereas I felt Native River had a much harder time of it being hard ridden from before the turn and leathered all the way to the line.

Didn't Wayward Lad come back from a similarly hard-looking race in the Gold Cup to run away from his field at Aintree?

Back