2021 2000 Guineas

I've taken 10/1 Battleground for the Irish 2000 Guineas.

He ended up punted into 9/2f for the Guineas at Newmarket so clearly plenty was expected of him. He didn’t handle the track so this should be much better for him, he didn’t have a hard race and he won the Chesham in soft so I’m happy to take out some sickness insurance at 10/1 (4 places, 15/2 for five places with Skybet for the ultra-cautious) and will go in again if he goes longer by Saturday. I presume the Poulains was too soon for Poetic Flare (9/2) so this might be too. I couldn’t back the other Coolmores at short odds so will just stick with Battleground.

Skybet goes 14/1 to 5 places...

MY STABLE PRICE BOOST: BATTLEGROUND IN 3.20 CURRAGH - WAS 10/1, NOW 14/1 (Sky Bet paying 5 places on this race) (max bet £25 win or £25 e.w.)

https://www.sportinglife.com/racing/news/my-stable-price-boost-battleground/191348

Last edited:
Simply the market correcting itself. Lucky Vega will not go on the ground. The Lads bet in 6 figures. They get on right at the off.

I'm on record as suspecting bookies of manipulating the market in big races.

They do it with the Grand National all the time.

They make up completely false market moves to sucker mugs into following what they believe is real money.

Del Boy street trading tactics.

I'm on record as suspecting bookies of manipulating the market in big races.

They do it with the Grand National all the time.

They make up completely false market moves to sucker mugs into following what they believe is real money.

Del Boy street trading tactics.

I think you can blame punters for those moves. Books are just reacting to bets.

Great call, Lee and Edgt.

What did we make of that?

I wasn't sure about Mac Swiney for the Derby based on the Derrinstown.

He will go in to Epsom with top form over 1 mile on soft/heavy ground.

They say Van Gogh will be a better horse stepped up in trip. I'm tempted to stick with him.

16s is the right price for Van Gogh in the run up to the Derby, but only Bet 365 offering those odds at present.

Some of these firms need to grow a pair.

Last edited:
They say Van Gogh will be a better horse stepped up in trip. I'm tempted to stick with him.

16s is the right price for Van Gogh in the run-up to the Derby, but only Bet 365 offering those odds at present.

Some of these firms need to grow a pair.

Why would you back him with anyone else....Bet365 will offer you a cash-out from the moment you lay your bet....None of the others wil!

So now that we know Mac Swiney wasn't right for the Derrinstown to we need to mark down the form of the Derby fav? He ain't no 2s shot now.

So now that we know Mac Swiney wasn't right for the Derrinstown to we need to mark down the form of the Derby fav? He ain't no 2s shot now.

I don't believe it's a matter of marking the Derrinstown form down. It's solid enough as it is but it's short of Derby-winning standard, which I said at the time.

The flip side is that the 3yos are generally substandard so it could still be good enough but I still have high hopes for High Definition with Mac Swiney decent back-up at 14/1 and 32.

Ground will decide but of course can change very quickly from now on.
Am a little concerned with Mac Swiney's good run bad run sequence for Derby ; maybe Irish Derby is his race.
Pity for Poetic Flare backers that K Manning did not change his whip ; I blame his father in law's Catholic ways personally and doubt if will ever name a horse "Ciotog " as traditionally it was considered a satanic habit.

Delighted for Rory Cleary who obviously learned something from Apache Gold !

Ground will decide but of course can change very quickly from now on.
Am a little concerned with Mac Swiney's good run bad run sequence for Derby ; maybe Irish Derby is his race.
Pity for Poetic Flare backers that K Manning did not change his whip ; I blame his father in law's Catholic ways personally and doubt if will ever name a horse "Ciotog " as traditionally it was considered a satanic habit.

Delighted for Rory Cleary who obviously learned something from Apache Gold !

Jim Bolger tells me MacSwiney had “copious nasal discharge” after Derrinstown, but is A1 now and would be “very comfortable going to Epsom provided we get a good show at The Curragh,” where he joins his stablemate Poetic Flare in Saturday’s Guineas.

More on Podcast shortly

(Nick Luck tweet during the week)

He certainly adds to the race that's for sure.

Looking forward to the race I have to say.

Why would you back him with anyone else....Bet365 will offer you a cash-out from the moment you lay your bet....None of the others wil!

I had a falling out with them before Cheltenham. I can't use them anymore. They took pleasure out of permantly barring me!

Does anyone know anything about Sayf Al Dawla which holds an entry?

It's an unraced son of Frankel and Attraction so is bred to be a bit of a beast and its only two entries are this and the Derby.

Obviously it won't be able to run on Saturday as the race conditions no longer allow for debutants but I'm curious that they've maintained its entry to this point.

Peter Chapple-Hyam is nobody's fool so I'm wondering if there's some kind of back story to the horse.

Finally makes his debut tomorrow but 11/8 or thereabouts isn't my kind of price for a debutant. Still, it will be interesting to see how it gets on.

Does anyone know anything about Sayf Al Dawla which holds an entry?

It's an unraced son of Frankel and Attraction so is bred to be a bit of a beast and its only two entries are this and the Derby.

Obviously it won't be able to run on Saturday as the race conditions no longer allow for debutants but I'm curious that they've maintained its entry to this point.

Peter Chapple-Hyam is nobody's fool so I'm wondering if there's some kind of back story to the horse.

Those Quixotic entries are a far cry from his Salisbury entry this afternoon following two superficially disappointing runs to date.

I presume they've accepted he isn't going to live up to his pedigree, this season at least, and I imagine even a win today will see him emerge with a mark in the low 80s.

Then again, this third run might be even more disappointing than the previous two in order to secure a mark in the 70s.

I'm still curious about this one, though.

Back