2024 Grand National

We all have our own views and to me it's gold Cup run was a grueller and I agree with Luke.
I can let him go at around 5/1.

Guaranteed you he will have been rolling around in the mud for 4 days then brought back in to get him cherry riipe again. The horse had a more grilling race getting up by 1/2 length last year and he took it like water of a ducks back...price doesn't mean **** to me in the National it's a fun race not a gambling race.....says him who had his biggest win ever from Don't Push It. 60 into 10,s.
I will have 10 quid ew at most

Guaranteed you he will have been rolling around in the mud for 4 days then brought back in to get him cherry riipe again. The horse had a more grilling race getting up by 1/2 length last year and he took it like water of a ducks back...price doesn't mean **** to me in the National it's a fun race not a gambling race.....says him who had his biggest win ever from Don't Push It. 60 into 10,s.
I will have 10 quid ew at most

What makes you think he had a more gruelling race last year when he finished his race strongly against handicappers.This year he was dead on his feet against Grade 1 animals.

I think if they're short of a gallop it will exaggerate a weak-looking finish.

One thing we know about CR is that he does not weaken when fully fit.

I won't be upset if he wins and its good to discuss our opinions.
We ought to discuss others as well.
What about Nassalam.?
According to Race I Q he gained 25L with his jumping in the Welsh national but I looked at his race over these fences and he jumped left at most.he didn't look quick over them plus he went up 20lb.he stayed on though and he loves heavy but 11-11 is a lot to carry.

Interesting to see both Galvin and Stattler are 90 on the machine.looks likely they won't run.
Didn't stop me from wasting £2 on stattler though.:lol:

What do we make of Mark Walsh's decision to ride Limerick Lace rather than the much more obvious I Am Maximus (or even Meetingofthewaters)?

The more I look at the Cheltenham race the more I'm convinced she was gifted that by a poor (possibly deliberately so) tactical ride on Dinoblue.

Does he maybe feel she is the strongest stayer of the JP group?

I'm not sure that Walsh gets a totally unrestricted choice. In this case, Townend rode I Am Maximus to victory in the Irish National and Danny has won a big pot on Meetingofthewaters so maybe Walsh was guided towards Limerick Lace.

What do we make of Mark Walsh's decision to ride Limerick Lace rather than the much more obvious I Am Maximus (or even Meetingofthewaters)?

The more I look at the Cheltenham race the more I'm convinced she was gifted that by a poor (possibly deliberately so) tactical ride on Dinoblue.

Does he maybe feel she is the strongest stayer of the JP group?

I’m also surprised by this decision.

However I think the suggestion that Dinoblue may have deliberately been given a poor tactical ride at Cheltenham is ludicrous and an insult to Mark Walsh’s integrity

What makes you think he had a more gruelling race last year when he finished his race strongly against handicappers.This year he was dead on his feet against Grade 1 animals.

The way he ran in both races were like watching twins. He was under extreme pressure in both races 4 out and 3 out and the only difference was he beat two top call chasers home at levels.

He had every right to be tired but he was along way off keeling over.

most races at the Festival takes it out of a horse. We see it year after year at Aintree when horses run miles below what they did at Cheltenham

He proved last year he can take it in his stride I don't see any reason to be doubting him this year

Personal opinion, but Corach Rambler could probably have won twice as far as he did last year, and will take plenty of beating again this year - regardless of weight, ground and concerns about his Cheltenham efforts.

In my view, he is very similar to Tiger Roll, in that the Aintree test just looks absolutely tailor-made for him......and of the two, Coach Rambler is the classier animal any way I look at it (Tiger Roll would have been PU'd going out onto the second circuit in a Gold Cup).

I'm hopeful that several of the obvious alternatives continue to be gambled through to Saturday, and that CR drifts like a barge. I will lump into anything remotely approaching a double-figure.

Last edited:
I’m also surprised by this decision.

However I think the suggestion that Dinoblue may have deliberately been given a poor tactical ride at Cheltenham is ludicrous and an insult to Mark Walsh’s integrity

Jockeys are sanctioned several times a season for not being given a good tactical ride. As recently as Monday Paddy Brennan got the max for his 'effort' aboard one at Wincanton.

For me, Dinoblue was always at least five lengths behind where she should have been and then, in my opinion, Walsh delayed his effort by about a furlong.

It's entirely possible it was just a very poor tactical ride, which itself wouldn't reflect well on a so-called top jockey. There are alternative possibilities:

It was deliberate;
Dino is not as good as generally believed;
She wasn't acting in the ground;
She was ridden in the belief her stamina may have been suspect [in the ground];
Walsh was over-confident that she'd win regardless.

So, a total of six possibilities, in my opinion, and three of them would not reflect well on Walsh.

IMO, Dinoblue was almost certainly held-up to get the trip, given it appeared to be beyond her as a novice hurdler. Walsh is faultless if he was told to give her a patient ride, and the error two-out almost certainly cost her the race.

I don't see any need for conspiracy theories, tbh.

Coco beach is probably the best jumper in the race but surely they will change tactics 3 time lucky.

They should let him hunt round for the first circuit and then use his jumping to get him into the race proper.

10/1 to be placed can have my fiver

Every year I'm guaranteed to back one I shouldnt and this year its THE GOFFER 66/1 and 120 on the exchange.
I thought he might be rerouted to the topham but hes not entered for that now.
Another possible negative is hes only 7.
His run in the ultima seems to say it wont stay.hence the big price.
2023 ultima he weakened after leading 2 out and was beaten 10L by corach rambler but is 15lb better off now.

Last edited:
Unless they've changed going stick readings since I was last involved I can never recall seeing anything below maybe 4.5 and Aintree is reading 3.1 even Kirkland Tellwright wouldn't have called that gd-sft. That's abandonment surely ?

Actual footage of Flanagan getting Vanillier across the line on Saturday.

https://youtu.be/vE8mFDabqD0?feature=shared

Seriously though you'd get a higher reading in a puddle. There will be a few horses dragging their money makers through the mud this week.

Last edited:
Back