A Big Coup

On The Bridle

At the Start
What would be the best approach to maximising the take out on a "good thing" at a large price (somewhere between 16's and 20's) in a race at a run of the mill Irish meeting. You have stake money of €10,000 minimum to get on. Your thoughts??

Employ a team of Eastern Europeans with no knowledge of gambling and poor english-give them a ton each and complicated instructions.

The first thing I will is that any 'coup' is impossible to keep quiet. If you are talking about an average race at an average Irish meeting than not marking the morning cards is key. Is this possible? No, quiet simply it's not unless you are part of a serious crew. My thinking would be show your hand early and take the couple of grand at the fancy prices in the morning. You may as well because if you don't take it someone else will.

What would be the best approach to maximising the take out on a "good thing" at a large price (somewhere between 16's and 20's) in a race at a run of the mill Irish meeting. You have stake money of €10,000 minimum to get on. Your thoughts??

Pick a day when there is other big racing on which has high turnover. Grand National day, Cheltenham Festival, Easter Monday etc etc. Split the bets up into small irregular amounts (e.g. €50 each way, €70 win €30 place etc etc). You cannot put on more than a hundred at a time, SP. That's 100 shops or if you split into €50s then 200 shops. You need to map out all the shops in the main cities and plan a route. So in Dublin you could start with Ladbrokes in Ballsbridge, hit Paddy Power on Baggott St and keep going into town. Do a loop so you end up back in Ballsbridge at say 2pm and start all over again. You might tell I've done this before for somone.....when Vanton won the Irish National.....and the horse we were backing lost!! The only mistake we made was not taking a few bob out of the kitty for a pint!! Horse won next time out at 14/1!!

Last edited:
The first thing I will is that any 'coup' is impossible to keep quiet.

Not true. The ones that are successful are never talked about. You don't have to be Barney Curley to pull it off. What you do need is a stable of lads that won't talk. And that means you have to put a thousand on for them.

Last edited:
I seem to remember working the day an ante post gamble started. The ink on the prices for the 2009 Irish Champion Hurdle were not even dry...

Gearoid -the best info I ever got in my life concerned a horse called Moon Dice who won at Limerick during the summer-I started a thread called -very late info-at the time.
Basically I was getting updates on the horse since Christmas and despite a few hiccups the big day finally arrived.Chandler and 365 were best in the morning but having been told about the possibility of slaps for anyone guilty of spoiling it I did small cash bets around town.About an hour before the race I did some bigger bets but still well under the radar and told a few friends.
I believe the gamble really took off in the last half hour and monkey bets were turned down by the big firms.
My point is keep it tight,do your business in the early
afternoon and when your money is down tell whoever you want.

The only mistake we made was not taking a few bob out of the kitty for a pint!

I think you'll find that wasn't the only mistake you made!!:p

At one stage I had a spreadsheet with all the bookies in Waterford -a guide to how much you could realistically get on with them and the
best sequence to hit them in.

When we last did it ( and we did it in £10 max , as the feeling at the time was anything more than that triggered the computers) we took hours to get it on,and three days to collect it. Straightening the workers is essential but I would never have used people who couldn`t speak English. In every car we had a box of hats similar to Tommy Cooper ,and every worker wore a different hat in each shop. Sounds corny now but we sort of were successful. The Magic Sign picked it up at the last minute and shovelled it on,reducing the SP by two thirds,in my view deliberately delaying the race

I think you'll find that wasn't the only mistake you made!!:p

I should have mentioned, it wasn't our money! We were just doing the Dublin end. Two cars left the house at 10am and got back for the Irish National. I was too young to bet so I was in charge of the betting slips, money and navigation. That's another point. You need to have your dockets written out in advance and ideally throw in a non-runner on the docket too, maybe in a double with your horse.

An hour before the race double figure prices were availabe everywhere and that was 6 hours after the shops opened.

Could you get a monkey on? - to quote Big Mac. Luke, I have been on both sides of this. I was working the day Moon Dice ran. The truth is somewhere between or sides of the story.

What was the SP please?

I spread my money out-I think asking for monkeys ends in tears.One firm
couldn't pay me a modest enough amount after the race and when I went back the following lunchtime the cast was practically thrown at me.

Back