A Big Coup

Can only guess on figures, but a Saturday handicap would be towards the top of your range and a Tuesday unraced maiden at Cork BELOW the bottom...

And what, perzackerly, is a lumpy bet? More than £1,000? More than £10,000?

Like I said they need to define what they mean, but as long as it's not above four figures there shouldn't be much of a problem in getting a cash bet on... I've no experience of five figures and beyond for singles.;)

Last edited:
and if your Mr McManus a lumpy bet is likely to be 6 figures

I would love to know who he bets with day to day or is it all via agents?

Bookmakers will take money from JP all day for virtually any amount. If a bookmaker is doing his job right he can lay off what he doesn't want and even create a bit of wiggle room besides... you don't turn away business like that if you are a bookmaker in business to be one.

and if your Mr McManus a lumpy bet is likely to be 6 figures

I would love to know who he bets with day to day or is it all via agents?

Tabor used to personally ring up a small independent bookmaker in North London. He’d tell the proprietor (my mate) what price and size he wanted. If he was refused he slam the phone down calling it a “night club” (for reasons of his own) and you wouldn’t hear from him for a while until he condescended to give you another ‘opportunity’... these guys operate on a different level.

I'd be surprised if anyone was desperate to lay him. Probably the most clued up punter about, with the biggest string of inside info & betting in sums too big to lay off

If I was a bookie, I'd happily pay fortunes to know what he's backing, without taking any of it :)

Tabor used to personally ring up a small independent bookmaker in North London. He’d tell the proprietor (my mate) what price and size he wanted. If he was refused he slam the phone down calling it a “night club” (for reasons of his own) and you wouldn’t hear from him for a while until he condescended to give you another ‘opportunity’... these guys operate on a different level.
That's the way - get the info without laying a penny

Tabor gets on alright. He has his networks and anyone with more than 2 braincells in their head would be more than happy to lay him, he's the sort of punter bookies love.

A few years ago I walked the track at Aintree with a recently retired bookmaker -we bumped into someone who is a big name in Irish bookmaking.
The chat turned to JP and 4 or 5 stories confirmed that his reputation was earned for a good reason.

Tabor gets on alright. He has his networks and anyone with more than 2 braincells in their head would be more than happy to lay him, he's the sort of punter bookies love.
I see Mr Tabor's chief putter onner was cited in a recent warning off, but not asked to give evidence. Intriguing, I thought.

Back