A Big Coup

I did feel like an idiot when I met you at Navan as said Brave Inca was well backed when the prices were released. Oh how naive for one not so young!

I didn't actually back him when the prices came out. Was he 10s? I think I waited till closer to the day to see who was running. But we hatched that plan after the Christmas hurdle, and well executed.....winning the race now rather than the gambling!!

Your making my point for me. Your type of bets would increase the bookmakers liability on the race making them aware all was not right. An hour before the race you could not have got a chunky bet on. So you 'cleverness' ruined xmas for everyone!

as has been mentioned,

the non runner in a double is a classic manouvre.

"can i have a price on the top one please ??"

it seems towns and villages have loads of bookies now, so there is at least 20 within an 8mile radius, so it can be done for £50s

Roddy and Cantoris-if you are lucky enough to own a really good horse would you be less inclined to back it.would the pain of defeat be enough without the financial damage.

The non-runner one is so out dated it's not funny. The system that translates the bets will pick up the non-runner and input the liability as a single.

What would be the best approach to maximising the take out on a "good thing" at a large price (somewhere between 16's and 20's) in a race at a run of the mill Irish meeting. You have stake money of €10,000 minimum to get on. Your thoughts??

Leave it to me!

First race,Easter Sunday 2010 , Fairyhouse. Best one I was ever involved in. All on track and phone. Was pandemonium getting money on, lots of refusals but still plenty on. I'd say six of us took out six figures between us.

I do feel we should have done better though. Think it's a numbers game, you need ten or twelve people to get money on for you, and one or two people organising. People should be told to be ready to place the bet a certain day and all get a text or phone call at the same time. Five to ten minutes before off preferably, depending how much if a risk your willin to take.

Agree with Del Boy. Also make sure there is no money for it on the machine. In fact if anything, put up a couple of lays on it, just to push it out. Than smash it near the off. If anyone starting outting on 10 or 20ew ona double figure price horse before 11am, its the end. Because at the end of the day, those traders are there to monitor bets and if they see anything half interesting, they will get on themselves, once the trader gets on, they are marked up already and other traders will follow and there is a domino effect. Thats why sometimes connections might not have had much on a horse but the price collapses, partly due to other traders.

Another point worth noting is that, if the horse you fancy is near the top of teh market, 1st 3 in betting, might be worth backing the fav in morning, just to make the one you fancy drift even more. On a run of mill irish meeting, only about a monkey/grand is needed to lay the jolly under say 2-1. The reason is that the double figure price horses, bookies just cut them and dont push anything out, if its anything near the head of betting, they will have to push something out the other one near the top of market. The most important point though is no one, no one slips through the net, everyone has to keep their gob shut. Ideally as well, one of the guy putting the bet on, is of VIP status with a bookie, so he can put whatever he wants on. Obviously that one coup will need to recoup the losses he had to make to get that VIP status.

Afterwards, dont tell a soul.

First race,Easter Sunday 2010 , Fairyhouse. Best one I was ever involved in. All on track and phone. Was pandemonium getting money on, lots of refusals but still plenty on. I'd say six of us took out six figures between us.

I do feel we should have done better though. Think it's a numbers game, you need ten or twelve people to get money on for you, and one or two people organising. People should be told to be ready to place the bet a certain day and all get a text or phone call at the same time. Five to ten minutes before off preferably, depending how much if a risk your willin to take.

I remember meeting you before that race. God you were jittery!!

Roddy and Cantoris-if you are lucky enough to own a really good horse would you be less inclined to back it.would the pain of defeat be enough without the financial damage.

The two heads between Brave Inca and that first champion hurdle cost myself and my brother €100k. Everytime he ran that season we got more confident and his price went out as he was getting beaten so we kept backing him each way. At least we picked up the place money.

Now I only back Colm's horses and a few bets here and there. Unless you have some inside knowledge I think it's very hard to do your day job and gamble successfully.

The non-runner one is so out dated it's not funny. The system that translates the bets will pick up the non-runner and input the liability as a single.

Do all bookies offices have the system? What happens if you make it very difficult to read the non-runner? How does the system pick that up?

But it wouldn't matter who won if you backed all three in doubles with the plot horse.

Ah I misread your original post. If you have €6k to put on though and you do €2k doubles with each of the three runners you are throwing away €4k straight away. you'd want to be sure that you are picking up a fair wedge for the remaining €2k double.

Do all bookies offices have the system? What happens if you make it very difficult to read the non-runner? How does the system pick that up?

In a word, yes. 'The system' picks up the bet and the runners when the bet is inputted by hand into a computer.

It also picks up all the bets 'under the radar' and at SP. The only reason to go to multiple shops is if you're being knocked back.

'The system' picks up the bet and the runners when the bet is inputted by hand into a computer.

Can you explain that one to me. If I walk into a bookies and put 10 horses in cross doubles and two of the horses names are not really readable, how does the bookie pick that up? Or if spelt wrong?

Ah I misread your original post. If you have €6k to put on though and you do €2k doubles with each of the three runners you are throwing away €4k straight away. you'd want to be sure that you are picking up a fair wedge for the remaining €2k double.

You are not throwing €4k away. You are throwing the over-round (say 5%) of €6k away. If you weight the doubles correctly.

Say the horses in the "other" race are Evs, 11/4 and 11/4.

Put €1600 double on the 11/4 shot and the plot (10/1). Double is 40.25 to 1. Profit is €64,400-€4,500 = profit of €59,900
Put €3000 double on the Evs shot and the plot (10/1). Double is 21/1. Profit is €63,000-€3,200 = profit of €59,800
Put €1600 double on the 11/4 shot and the plot (10/1). Double is 40.25 to 1. Profit is €64,400-€4,500 = profit of €59,900

€6,200 staked for a profit of €59,800 minimum.

Can you explain that one to me. If I walk into a bookies and put 10 horses in cross doubles and two of the horses names are not really readable, how does the bookie pick that up? Or if spelt wrong?

It's up to the staff member that translates the bet into the system but all bookmakers rules are pretty clear. If the horses name can be reasonablly recognised than that is the horse your on. If it could me two horses i.e Moscow Express and Moscow Flyer than the bet splits. If no horse can be reasonably worked out than your on a non-runner.

Back