A Big Coup

It's up to the staff member that translates the bet into the system

I'm a bit dim here. On a busy Saturday when they are taken bets left, right and centre, some worker is inputting the names of every horse on a docket? Now I haven't been in a bookies for a while, but normally I walk in, hand over my docket and it's scanned. So is someone back at HQ looking at the scans?

On a busy Saturday when they are taken bets left, right and centre, some worker is inputting the names of every horse on a docket?

Yes, working on a Saturday with a hangover is not recommended.

Last edited:
I'm a bit dim here. On a busy Saturday when they are taken bets left, right and centre, some worker is inputting the names of every horse on a docket? Now I haven't been in a bookies for a while, but normally I walk in, hand over my docket and it's scanned. So is someone back at HQ looking at the scans?
Yes the security department Cantoris - they look at bets placed after the off (ie. some are automatically voided if they are too late), bets translated after the race is off (it happens on busy days if there's a backlog) etc.

Translating the bets takes seconds and is generally done by the cashiers as well as taking bets.

How does this work? As Cantoris says I walk up to the counter give my slip to the lady / gentleman he puts the money in the till scans a copy of my docket which he gives to me (with barcode and time of bet etc) and places the original in a seperate drawer! Does the scanner read the bet and the teller accepts it or corrects it if it's read incorrectly? I have never seen anybody keying in much into the computer. Please someone enlighten me?

The scanner just takes a picture of the slip which appears on the screen - then the cashier inputs that into the computer - the receipt is the part which has the barcode on, the barcode is scanned when you take it up to the counter and it comes up with the image from when the bet was placed.

As for what it says on the slip that is down to the cashiers interpretation - there'll be no issues 99% of the time but the 1% is the problem and given taking the slip up will likely be as a result of a payout you'd have a fair task convincing the manager/cashier that what they've translated isn't what you've written.

Best advice for landing a big coup is to play it with a straight bat - 20 people with 20 bets at the same time as far from where the horse is trained as possible, hitting as many firms (be it the big 3/4 firms or independents) as possible in as diverse an area as possible.

20 bets in Cork will look far more suspicious than one in Cork, one in Belfast, one in Glasgow, one in Inverness, one in Torquay, one in Brighton etc. and above all only use people you trust implicitly not to get leaky (or even better just txt them what you want and when you want it and only tell them to be at X or Y shop at a given time).

Martin

The scanner does what a scanner does best and scan your slip on the cashiers screen. The cashier than imputs your selections and instruction into the system. What thez imput is what you barcode will regeister when you go to collect. The bottom line is every bet gets put into the network and therefore liabilites can be gaged almost up to the minute. The days of laying one for fortunes without knowing are long gone.

The scanner just takes a picture of the slip which appears on the screen - then the cashier inputs that into the computer - the receipt is the part which has the barcode on, the barcode is scanned when you take it up to the counter and it comes up with the image from when the bet was placed.

Thanks IS - how does it take so little time? It seems to me it would be very difficult to capture the horse, time, odds, and stake with the couple of taps the cashier does?

So if I did a treble Becauseicouldntsee, Gonebeyondrecall and Seasamachamile, some lad in behind the counter is tapping that into his machine?? For me to type it takes eight to ten seconds and that's when I know what I'm writing. The lad behind the counter would spend ten seconds trying to figure it out. So he could be there for 30 seconds tapping it in. I just don't believe it and have never seen it. I'm with OTB here, I hand over my docket, it gets scanned and back out to me.

Lads, some people in bookmakers are gifted at their job. They might know fuck all about racing etc but could translate 1000 bets on a Saturday. It aint rocket science. Your local bookie knows your hand writing better than your bank manager!

Which high st chain can you get the lumpiest bets on! I've already ruled out Boylesports and William Hill and Coral (online) Bet365 not hectic online either!

In fairness to my local PP, they have been known to take a grand on a horse now and then, not a big outsider, but anything 5s down, they will try their best to facilitate.

In fairness to my local PP, they have been known to take a grand on a horse now and then, not a big outsider, but anything 5s down, they will try their best to facilitate.

:lol::lol: I am sure they try their best to facilitate you when they know they are going to get to keep the dosh!!:lol::lol: How many fakes do you usually put though in every thousand Del?:lol:

It doesn't get much better than this.

Saturday January 22 2011
Ascot 14:55

1 Tiger O'Toole (IRE) 10-5 Paul Moloney Evan Williams 6 40/1

held up in rear, headway after 3 out, chasing leaders when left in 3rd 2 out, stayed on under pressure to lead close home all out opened 66/1 touched 66/1 £30000-£450 Each Way

It doesn't get much better than this.

Saturday January 22 2011
Ascot 14:55

1 Tiger O'Toole (IRE) 10-5 Paul Moloney Evan Williams 6 40/1

held up in rear, headway after 3 out, chasing leaders when left in 3rd 2 out, stayed on under pressure to lead close home all out opened 66/1 touched 66/1 £30000-£450 Each Way

Had to be the owner - was the bet struck on track or in a shop?

Which high st chain can you get the lumpiest bets on! I've already ruled out Boylesports and William Hill and Coral (online) Bet365 not hectic online either!

Depends what you mean by “lumpy” and where the shop is. I’d normally go to Ladbrokes first with a sizable bet – all things being equal on price – as they will normally absorb it without making a fuss or wanting to scale you down at different prices.
The flagship branches in London of most chains will take a decent bet for cash. Assuming I can get the same price I would normally try to spread it around though.
You are much more likely to get knocked back online or on the phone.

Back