A Late April Fools?

Guest_

At the Start
Is this for real?

Kempton planning race run to live orchestra

By Graham Green7.32PM 27 MAY 2009
CONCERTS at racecourses are nothing new, but Kempton is set to push back the musical boundaries by becoming the first track to host a race to a live soundtrack.
The William Tell Overture, performed by members of the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra, will be played over the public address system during a 1m3f handicap on July 8.
A classical favourite and former theme music for the Lone Ranger radio and TV shows, the plan is to build to a climax as the leaders approach the winning post.
It also breaks now ground for the musicians - or Royal Filly-Monic Orchestra - who, used to the world's great auditoriums and attentive audiences, will find the atmosphere of a raceday crowd somewhat less formal.
Whether owners and trainers have reservations about their horses racing against the backdrop of Gioachino Rossini's masterpiece will be intriguing, but Kempton managing director Amy Starkey, who has no health and safety concerns, is confident the race will be well supported, saying the music will be no louder than that generated by a large crowd.
Ian Maclay, the orchestra's managing director, said: "We have played some unusual recitals before, but this one has to be the most exciting. We know rousing music can motivate humans to run faster, but we have no idea how horses will react. We’ve chosen this particular piece of music due to its 'galloping' rhythm, which will hopefully inspirehorses and jockeys."

I think the 'ride of the valkyries' would be better, or possibly 'the 1812'? Come to think of it 'the Hall of the Mountain King' is reasonably up tempo. I agree with young Gamla Stan though, I've rarely looked forward to Dom's thoughts on a subject with greater anticipation.

I assume it could be the first race in history where the jockeys elect to use ear plugs. Perhaps they could use flame throwers and fireworks as they go through the winning line, and a fly past by the red arrows. Come to think of it, Kempton would probably benefit more from a fly past of a fully laden B52

Dunno about Shadz but I'm fairly speechless! If those racing aren't affected then those being led round the pre-parade ring certainly will be. Ms Starkey should be encouraged to lead one up herself to see how she copes with an unraced 2yo faced with that sort of noise level. I remember Windsor putting on an effing steel band right next to the paddock as the horses left to go out onto the track. I did have words!

Don't forget though Kempton starts off with a distinct disadvantage against Ms Leader as being Number 1 in her list of fav sandpits!

Last edited:
I know we need our sport to be improved but please lets not make it a fucking laughing stock, what do you think bloody dressage is for dummies

Last edited:
If a horse encounters something unusual that takes it outside its normal comfort zone and sense of familiarity etc, are they naturally inclined to run towards it? Especially as it gets louder the nearer they get (I'm assuming the orchestra will be playing by the winning post). We've heard stories of buzzy horses being put off and spooked by punters making clicking noises at them from the parade ring, this could be carnage if one bolts and the rest scatter.

I'm tempted to predict that this particular stunt won't happen

Is it any more difficult for a horse than an excitable commentator and a roaring crowd? Or, given that it's Kempton, an excitable commentator, a roaring man and a barking dog?

Absolute joke. It appears that Ms Starkey is determined to turn Kempton into a circus and the sport into a laughing stock.

The sooner Tesco build on it the better!

This is ridiculous. Bad enough when something blasts oout over the tannoys at some courses when a big race is won. It's not needed or neccessary and adds nothing.

So if they go through with this stunt and a horse goes apesh*t on the track with catastrophic results, who carries the can? If I'd entered a horse in the race and it was then announced that this stunt was to take place I'd be fuming. Who can possibly predict how any horse will react given that no horse currently (or previously!) racing can have ever heard a live orchestra?

Last edited:
By Lee Mottershead7.03PM 2 JUL 2009
KEMPTON has revealed that Sky News is to broadcast live coverage on Wednesday night of the groundbreaking handicap being staged to the accompaniment of the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra playing the William Tell Overture.

Seventeen horses were yesterday entered for the Digibet.com-sponsored 1m3f handicap, including a duo trained by Gary Moore, whose champion jockey son Ryan is expected to ride one of them.

Kempton boss Amy Starkey, whoplans to site the orchestra on the jumps track, said yesterday: "The race is bringing a new audience into racing.
"Sky News will be here and broadcasting the race live and we've also had the race talked about on Friday Night with Jonathan Ross and Have I Got News For You. When is the last time a positive racing story went out via those channels?"

I hope that there is an incident with horses swerving all over the place and unshipping the nibblers; might be the only way that Amy Starkey can be made to believe not only how damn stupid her ideas are, but bloody dangerous to boot.

Back