A library of horses to lay

EC1

On a break
I'd like to start a thread where people can put up a horse to lay, giving a reason or reasons. Over a period of time we should build up quite a few horses with known negatives that we could use again in future...like a library thread if you like

I'll start it off

6.15 Sedgefield - Rain Stops Play - 1.67

This looks like slower ground would suit better, fast here and has at least two worthy opponents - i think its way too short

Won - so jury's out ..but wasn't that superior at the end

a bad example..but its early days

Last edited:
Nice idea EC1. Me feels Luke will have a number of posts in this thread.

I'd like to see people who don't normally post have a go as well Granger..at least with me starting off with a loser it might encourage people not to be shy about getting it wrong sometimes

no one expects 100%..just be nice to have a few horses with negatives to check out

One more tonight

7.00 Southwell - Bolodenka - 2.32

0/8 on the AW

has run once at Southwell and lost by 20 lengths

The sire Soviet Star is 3/60 at Southwell with horses aged 3+ and wins just one third of races that the odds suggest he should win..so looks poor value on sire stats and his own form.

won easily - fav ridden along from start might as well have not took part.

Last edited:
we have 250 active members on the forum - please use this thread to get actively posting..come on..surely you can't do worse than i have up to press..;)

you just need to post..no need to get embarassed or feel in anyway that getting it wrong is going to get you derision..no one is an expert at this game.

there are plenty of horses out there with negative factors running everyday..post em up

I thought I would find something to beat Rain Stops Play today but the race was so bad that nothing suggested itself. I would say he remains a valid choice for future events, especially with a recent win in his form figures.

This is dependent on good fast ground - In the 1:30 at York - Taqleed is fav but low numbers on good fast ground have a phenomenal record at this track over this distance yet Taqleed has been drawn out in the car park 20/20 and would have to exceptional to win from that draw at this track.

I am presuming this track is left-handed and the low stalls are still on the inside?

Here's two - Glor Na Mara and President Lincoln. Both very tall athletic looking brown PIGS.

President Lincoln is entered all over the place this weekend but will more than likely run over 7f at Dundalk and get beaten off 72. He only cost $1,000,000

This is dependent on good fast ground - In the 1:30 at York - Taqleed is fav but low numbers on good fast ground have a phenomenal record at this track over this distance yet Taqleed has been drawn out in the car park 20/20 and would have to exceptional to win from that draw at this track.

I am presuming this track is left-handed and the low stalls are still on the inside?

It would seem they have had plenty of rain and the going could be on the easy side of good - so this is no longer a lay.

7.40 Perth - Lord Redsgirth - 2.08

I'm pretty sure this horse needs a sterner test than this. Has disappointed at short prices last 3 runs..two of those runs on slower ground which would be more playing to his strengths as well.

There are a number of horses here who could win imo and at the current price has to be a lay..needs 3 miles imo

Unplaced - needs stiffer test

Last edited:
Only just seen the thread otherwise I could have given everybody 6 lays at York today:ninja:

At the moment any reason given for laying should read 'because I have backed it!!!!!' but will try to find one or two;)

Wikaala in the beginners chase at Perth today is currently 1.68 on Betfair.
He has 5 wins from 46 runs but has been runner up 11 times.
He is well clear on chase ratings from his opponents, but this is potentially misleading; Gray Mountain has a superior hurdles rating.
Wikaala has run only a handful of times on anything softer than good, which suggest connections don't think he handles soft ground tooo well.

Good call, Grey.

Bit of "after-timing" here, I was thinking about putting up NIGHT CARNATION at York.

Even though the filly won impressively at Sandown and the horse that she saw off, Ahtoug, won nicely at Chester last week I didn't like her head-carriage. She looked as if she wasn't enjoying herself, I put it down to the ground.

I thought today's ground would be more to her liking so I didn't put her up as a lay. She did win today but again her head seemed a little on the high side.

I don't think she is one to lump on when next time she's fancied.

Think that Lord Henry is worth laying in the 19:40 Aintree - hasn't done much in this sphere beating a non-stayer at Exeter and the form of his Cheltenham run (beaten at short odds) was hardly advertised by the performance of Silver Adonis yesterday. He's won 7 races in his career but none have been going left-handed, his chief rival has shown useful form in points when chasing home the very useful Surenaga (military race winner at Sandown and also winner of the P2P equivalent of the Gold Cup) and that run looks better than it appears on paper as the second and third are both fairly useful whilst The Polomoche himself was a decent enough horse under rules for Nicky Henderson.

Lay Lord Henry @ 1.66
Back The Polomoche @ 4.6

I know I put up President Lincoln as a lay here a few days ago but with my perverted sense of logic I could not resist backing him at 8's tonight. This is not the thread for me. Watch Balmont Mast win as this is the first time in 2011 that I haven't backed him..:lol:

I know I put up President Lincoln as a lay here a few days ago but with my perverted sense of logic I could not resist backing him at 8's tonight. This is not the thread for me. Watch Balmont Mast win as this is the first time in 2011 that I haven't backed him..:lol:

I were thinking the lays might be less than a certain price..personally I won't lay above 2/1..i can't stand the damage

Back