Aig Irish Champion Hurdle

eric c

At the Start
Rain everywhere and quite a few entered wont like it--Sublimity wont run if heavy,neither will Harchibald,Straw Bear may go to Haydock Sat or ? travel---Al Eile will have his conditions but so will Sizing Europe---new kid on block--shortening in to fav. to-night.
GET ON.

:P :P :P

P.S. Ruby rides as Timmy has committed to AE.

Ladcrookes (Ireland shops) are now Non-Runner No Bet on ALL ante post irish racing.

True Darcy rides most of Pott's but he has never ridden Sizing Europe.
Ruby rode when he fell against Aimatov at Punchestown---then he was injured for the Greatwood so Timmy Murphy rode and it was hoped he would stay with Sizing but he has a much longer association with Al Eile.
Heres hoping Ruby wins the 2 Champion Hurdles!!!
Sizing Europe now 3/1 fav with PP for AIG.

Darcy only recently signed the contract to ride Potts's horses so he wouldnt have had the chance to ride them previously.

Who Darcy? Is he any good?? Hope you are right Luke...
I've a nice e/w bet on SE for the Champion Hurdle!

I am not suggesting he is anything other than that. But I find it very hard to believe they would both signing a retainer with him if he was not going to ride all their horses. Wouldnt make sense.

Who says Darcy signed an exclusive retainer to ride all of ? Potts horses---or is it de Bromheads horses ?? He might be a jockey retained by the owner Potts but he is not guaranteed to ride all of Potts horses. Potts does not want him on all his horses at this stage and he certainly is not going to put him up for a race that Ruby Walsh is available for. Potts may be from North Yorhshire but he aint dumb.

But Luke (as we have said before) its the owner that makes the decision in that regard if he has (as has been reported) signed a contract with him to retain him.

I agree I would much prefer Ruby or Timmy up on him....but if the owner has signed a retainer I do not understand why he did if he didnt sign him up with the intention of using him all the time.

Mick Darcy is a normal run of the mill jockey. He is not hard to "get" to ride your horse. There is no need for a retainer unless you planned to use him the whole time.

I think this answers any doubts...

Europe ready to conquer Leopardstown
Thursday, 6 December 2007 15:29
Greatwood Hurdle winner Sizing Europe is in flying form as he prepares for the bewleyshotels.com December Festival Hurdle at Leopardstown on 29 December.

Henry De Bromhead's charge gave the trainer the biggest victory of his career in the Grade Three event at Cheltenham last month.
And the manner of his victory was so impressive he is as short as 10-1 with totesport for the Champion Hurdle itself.

'He's absolutely flying, he's in great form, we have been delighted with him since the Greatwood and the December Festival Hurdle is the plan,' said De Bromhead.

'He's such a big horse and you would have to say that whatever he does over hurdles, you would hope he would be just as good over fences.

'He's developing all the time, he's only five, rising six, but he is filling out now. Before he was raw, but now he is filling out and he's a really exciting horse.

'We possibly went a little bit in at the deep-end after falling beforehand, but thankfully it paid off, luckily we got it right. It was soft enough at Cheltenham and I don't think he would want real deep, winter ground.

'Michael Darcy has agreed to ride all of Alan Potts' (owner) horses now so he will be riding him from now on.'

Mark my word no matter what you have read or heard Ruby Walsh will ride Sizing Europe in AIG---whatever was said before was said on a contingency basis ---how often did Lester call up and get a ride that had been "promised" elsewhere???

I understand what you have been told Eric and not doubting that's what you were told.

But it was an odd statement from DeBromhead in that case and its pretty early to have Ruby booked with Ebaziyan in mind and knowing how highly Mullins rates the horses and given the general stable form. Yes of course Ruby is freelance but equally he more often than not rides for Mullins in such cases.

Having backed Sizing Europe to win the price of a small car I hope Mick Darcy is nowhere near Cheltenham on the day that counts.

Looks like your right Eric...

JOCKEY POSER FOR EUROPE
By Nick Robson, PA Sport

Henry De Bromhead is on the lookout for a jockey to ride Sizing Europe in the AIG Champion Hurdle at Leopardstown next weekend.

Denis O'Regan struck up a good partnership with the gelding last year and had been approached for the ride - as well as in the Champion Hurdle at Cheltenham - but the 14-day ban he picked up for riding a finish a circuit too soon has ruled him out.

Timmy Murphy was on board when Sizing Europe was last seen when winning the Greatwood Hurdle, but he is committed to Al Eile.

"He's in good form, we worked him on Friday and he worked nicely so he seems well, all things are good," said De Bromhead.

"Physically he is improving the whole time, he was only a frame of a horse last year and he's filling out now.

"Timmy is definitely committed to Al Eile so there are a few guys there to chose from, we are just not sure at the moment.

"We had agreed to use Denis O'Regan for the AIG and the Champion Hurdle but unfortunately he picked up a ban. It's a bit up in the air but no doubt we will secure someone before the weekend.

"He's a straightforward ride but you would love a bit of consistency as well. The guys who have ridden him all got on well with him," he told At The Races.

8 declared for the race... PPower bet: 5/2 Sizing Europe, 3/1 Al Eile, 7/2 Sublimity, 4/1 Aitmatov, 9/2 Hardy Eustace, 8/1 Lounaous, 14/1 Ebazayian, 20/1 Silent Oscar...

Talk about not taking any chances...nearly a 5% overround per runner!

Back