Aig Irish Champion Hurdle

Originally posted by mcnugget@Jan 22 2008, 04:22 PM
Talk about not taking any chances...nearly a 5% overround per runner!

With the doubtful participation of Sublimity and Silent Oscar, they don't have much choice - they would get murdered otherwise.

Not that I am in any way an apologist for bookmakers...

Anyway, wait until the final decs are made before you play.

If I knew Sublimity was going to run and be 100% fit for the job I would make him a strong favourite for this - but I get the feeling that Cheltenham is his main aim, so there are just too many doubts.

I think the 11-y-o Hardy Eustace is still a force at this level - if only because (with the possible exception of Sublimity) there are no superstars in this race.

This may sound slightly daft but I thought O'Dwyer might have overdone the waiting in front tactics in The Christmas Hurdle. Hardy's not as quick as he used to be and was a shade outpaced when they quickened, then was running on again at the death. Softer ground and a stronger pace might help him now.

Blimey, that sounds like the sort of shite that Nick Mordin comes out with doesn't it?

I can see why people are attracted to Sizing Europe. Who knows? He might be The Real Deal but he is a short price for one that hasn't proved it at this level yet. Osana has franked his form to some extent - but improved when he won The Boylesports. If you rate The Greatwood through the likes of Chivalry or Pigeon Island then, impressive or not, there is only so far you can take it.

Ground is going to be very testing. Good decision for a horse like Sublimity that goes best fresh with Cheltenham in mind.

What will Ruby ride remains the ???----- all I can say is that if Henry De Bromhead has to find another jockey he will be very disappointed and Willie Mullins is telling Ruby that Ebaziyan will run better for him than he did for Davy Condon recently.

Ground is going to be very testing. Good decision for a horse like Sublimity that goes best fresh with Cheltenham in mind.

Though that means he will only have one run between the 07 and 08 Champion Hurdles...if Henrietta Knight was the trainer we'd never hear the end of his over-cautious prep. Echos of See You When anyone? (Though at least that one was usually injured)

Well what do we think of Sunday's race? First fully dry day today for sometime and think it is meant to stay that way right through to Sunday so the ground might not be as testing as first feared.

If you had seen Yorkshire on Monday then you wouldn't have thought that was possible. We have had severely strong winds today though which I guess must have dried things out a lot.

Probably not the worst hit as that tended to be a bit further west, but I doubt it escaped.

QUOTE==RUBY RIDES EBAZIYAN=Galileo,Jan 25 2008, 11:06 AM]

Loyalty is a treasured virtue and Ruby and Willie Mullins cant do much wrong at present---the bookies make them outsiders to win this one however.
Andrew Mc Namara is a great sub--EJOGrady certainly thinks so---and Sizing Europe will hopefully prove a force to be reckoned with.
5.2--Betfair---looks a nice price now.

I agree, Andy Mc is a more than able deputy.

I think its probably more than loyalty regarding Ebaziyan. I think Mullins thinks he will run a big race come Cheltenham.

by Tony O'Hehir

THE hurdles course at Leopardstown was "yielding to soft" the eve of the AIG Europe Champion Hurdle meeting with racecourse manager Tom Burke predicting that conditions might improve to "yielding " by the start of racing on Sunday.

Burke said on Saturday night: "We've had another dry dayand while the ground on the hurdle course is yielding to soft, it is still soft on the chase track.
"The forecast is good, so it's possible the hurdle track could go to yielding. The chase track might get to yielding in places, but it is definitely the softer of the two courses.

"We are expecting another dry day on Sunday. It might not be as breezy as Saturday but it will be milder."

Would be wary about backing Aitmatov although perhaps he is in isolation along with Harchibald. Apparently the better ones are being kept away from the general mass as there's some sort of virus going around. Worrying.

Sizing Europe wil surely drift on betfair due to the jockey situation.I am all over him for the festival and just hope that tomorrow doesn't bottom him.
For what its worth I am told that Sizing Africa will win the first race tomorrow.

Al Eile for me tomorrow. I believe the outside track will suit.

Remainder of the races seem to be quite tough to work out. Will not be punting with great confidence tomorrow.

Back