Aintree 2016

From a financial point of veiw where Douvan runs is six and half a dozen the Ryanair being worth slightly more but if WPM seriously wants the uk title he surely go for the Maghull.

Shouldn't be too hard for him with no more than 3 or at a push 4 horses will turn up to plod round behind him.

Sprinter won it as a novice at 1/7 I expect Douvan will be 1/8.

Great to see then again but the opposition will be very thin on the ground in a few of the races

Last edited:
Annie currently 8/13 with SkyBet which looks very short. Different Gravey would be of interest if going here but current odds suggest 3 miler more likely

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Two years ago Silviniaco Conti was a short priced fav for the Bowl and went there after tipping up in the Gold Cup. He was beaten by a Gigginstown horse.

This year Cue Card follows the same path and is around evens. I've taken some 6/1 about Don Poli in the hope he can replicate First Lieutenant. Cue Card might win of course but that fall might have dented his confidence and he must be opposed at the price. Mullins hasn't mentioned Djakadam and I think it unlikely he'll come over with Punchestown surely far more likely a target.

Yes he was amongst horses mentioned in the context of "what the other entries are" and "what the ground is like" and "we'll make up our minds on entries during the early part of next week"

Typical Mullins really

I sincerely hope that running Vautour in the Melling, is simply an exercise in gathering prize-money for a shot at the Trainers Title, and they are not going to bottle-out of campaigning this champion over 3m+ next season.

I sincerely hope that running Vautour in the Melling, is simply an exercise in gathering prize-money for a shot at the Trainers Title, and they are not going to bottle-out of campaigning this champion over 3m+ next season.

this would be a bit like saying that not campaigning Sprinter Sacre at 2.5m+ is bottling it..or not trying any other brilliant horse at further than their best trip is bottling it..it never comes up when a horse shows clearly what trip they are far better than any other horse at. Thats the difference with horses that are stepped up and those that stay at a similar trip.. those that its clear..they are champions at that trip...tend to be campaigned at it

They tried him at 3 miles and clearly Mullins don't think he can beat a horse of Djakadam's level at further than that. They clearly know he is brilliant at the middle distance..we all do..they even had him entered in the CC..so that is another tell about what they think about him.

Vautour...on the track has shown how brilliant he is at 2m4 or 2m5f...for those that like trainer tells..he was not run in the GC but a lesser rated horse was run instead.

There are two solid clues there as to where Vautour's career will go imo....they might try the KG route again but imo the GC won't be on the cards for him.

Last edited:
I don't think it's anything like the scenario you suggest with Sprinter Sacre, EC1. I would argue that his KG run showed him to be brilliant at 3m too, and that it would be verging on criminal if connections decided to spend the next 4 years farming valuable but essentially shi*tty (relatively-speaking) races at around 2m4f.

As for Mullins thoughts on Vautour vs Djakadam, I remain hopeful that the Gold Cup decision was swayed much more about readiness/fitness concerns on the part of the former, than any consideration that he wasn't 'good enough' to beat the latter. In fact, I'm certain it's the case.

Last edited:
I don't think it's anything like the scenario you suggest with Sprinter Sacre, EC1. I would argue that his KG run showed him to be brilliant at 3m too, EC1, and that it would be verging on criminal if connections decided to spend the next 4 years farming valuable but essentially shi*tty (relatively-speaking) races at around 2m4f.

As for Mullins thoughts on Vautour vs Djakadam, I remain hopeful that the Gold Cup decision was swayed much more about readiness/fitness concerns on the part of the former, than any consideration that he wasn't 'good enough' to beat the latter. In fact, I'm certain it's the case.

The KG showed him to be a good horse..the Ryanair..a very very good horse..and thats the difference for me. I don't buy the fitness story one bit..a horse could not put in a figure like he did in the Ryanir and not be 100%..it was a superb peformance..better than the KG

Up to press he has put in two exceptional mid distance performances..and looked stretched at 3 miles. They have a choice..stretch the elastic..dilute the mid distance brilliance..or keep him to races where he is brilliant. I think if Don Coassack goes for the KG again he would outstay Vautour even at Kempton.

It will be interesting to see what happens. Beginning of this season i said the Ryanair was his race..and i've seen nothing on the track or from the trainer ..when it came to crunch...to suggest anything else

After Aintree last year I said there were 3 X 180 hosses from last year for this season ..Don Cossack + Vautour + coneygree...V and DC have shown they are very close to that level at their best trips. In fact when DC got given hoss of year many pooh poohed it..but that Aintree win over CC told me he was the top hoss. If it hadn't been for Mullins telling me to back Djakadam:)..i'd have backed him the GC..same as i did in the KG..and i still believe he would have won that had he stood up.

We won't know the answer for a while..but i'll be very surprised if they go GC route with Vautour

If Douvan can stay 3m, Vautour can have the Ryanair at his mercy

I loved Djackadams run in the JD, he could prob win a Ryanair renewal if there was a small bit of cut

If Vautour runs in next years KG, he will be going down the 3m route unless it is an absolute that he doesn't stay

I'd read nothing into running him in the Melling, other than its the best race for him now and next year will sort itself

he will probably go KG route..lose to DC..then trainer will say GC until 3 days before..then swap to Ryaniar...sounds implausible...has it happened before?:)

if he stayed the GC trip to Mullins satisfaction..no way would they have pulled him and put a lesser rated hoss [luv u Clive] in this year

Last edited:
he went to Cheltenham again though even though some thought it wasn't his course..why would they not go for a KG again?..without the fall it would be a given this year..you don't not go for a race because of a fall previous year

Vautour fans won't want DC in the KG that is for sure

Last edited:
If Douvan can stay 3m, Vautour can have the Ryanair at his mercy

I loved Djackadams run in the JD, he could prob win a Ryanair renewal if there was a small bit of cut

If Vautour runs in next years KG, he will be going down the 3m route unless it is an absolute that he doesn't stay

I'd read nothing into running him in the Melling, other than its the best race for him now and next year will sort itself
Agree with the last line. This season is all about the UK trainers' title.
Douvan will surely go the 2m route. I agree that Djakadam could win a Ryanair. He probably would have this year.
I'd have thought that they will have the GC as Vautour's target when the season starts but they will try and keep him left-handed on reasonable ground. Depending when he comes to hand I could see his first run over short of 3m and then going to Leopardstown rather than the KG. Round off the preparation at Cheltenham trials day or Newbury and you'd have a fair idea of his GC prospects.

he went to Cheltenham again though even though some thought it wasn't his course..why would they not go for a KG again?..without the fall it would be a given this year..you don't not go for a race because of a fall previous year

Year older, Cotswolds chase could be a better prep

Don Cossack never got into a rhythm at Kempton, didn't jump that well, and would only have won because the front two crawled home. He's a high class stayer but I would oppose him under certain conditions. Those being at Kempton again, and also at Cheltenham if the field size is in double figures.

you oppose him at kempton and cheltenham with x runners...ok...doesn't leave much for Don then..poor lad..best hoss of season but only under very certain restrictions

did you decide on the field size before or after the GC?..your assumptions seem to have a certain amount of backfitting tbh for me.

don't most horses win races because other hosses crawl home?

Back