Aintree 2018

footpad seems to run but irish trainer championships might rule out most of mullins and elliott horses

its strange one as i know mullins/elliott domination ruined cheltenham for some

but surely some of the better races at aintree will be diminished by their absence; especially if horses that finish behind them mop up. youd like to think waiting patiently or others will put in performances to mark them down.

otherwise, this could be a poor festival

If Waiting Patiently, Top Notch and Bristol De Mai all show up that'll help.

On The Blind Side as well hopefully.

Might Bite against Balko Des Flos in the Bowl.

Seems ok to me.

Shoulda gone to Cheltenham while they had the horse to do it.

Connections may feel the decision to miss Cheltenham was vindicated by the fact both Cue Card and Frodon ran no sort of race in the Ryanair but personally think Waiting Patiently would more likely have continued his progression from Ascot as there were other reasons for those two underperforming (CC in decline and Frodon no more than a smart handicapper who was massively flattered by his win on trials day)

Sure there were doubts about WP handling the track but Ruth Jefferson must know she missed a great opportunity

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There again maybe the injury he sustained might have surfaced during the Ryanair and everyone would have been saying they should have saved him for better ground.

The Munirs making Mullins run Footpad aside...the absence of real Mullins and Elliot stars in the entries is striking. Min is entered too.

Elliott doesnt appear to have anything bar a few bumper horses and ones for national fences

Racing Post
@RacingPost
16m16 minutes ago
Footpad will not be appearing at Aintree this week, trainer Willie Mullins has reported, last month's Racing Post Arkle winner having not scoped 100 per cent clean.

lol

and there goes the best novice down to run at the meeting

disappointing but probably more hepful to wpm with trainers title at home in mind

Thursday thoughts:

Footpad out means the Manifesto is a tidy betting heat PM, Brain Power and Cyrname head the market and they are all worth taking on.

Kalondra appeals at 12s. He missed Cheltenham because of the ground which was probably a mistake. He goes on Cheltenham soft (beat Coo Star Sivola giving him 5lbs on it)

as other horses (Balko) who wouldn't elsewhere do. I think Cheltenham is like Ascot in that horses who would struggle on soft at places like Haydock and Sandown can act on

I think Cheltenham is like Ascot in that horses who would struggle on soft at places like Haydock and Sandown can act on

it so I can forgive him his poor run in the Scilly Isles. The Manifesto is full of dodge pots.

I wanted more rain for BDM in the Bowl but the track will suit and if Might Bite isn't over his Gold Cup run he could pick up the pieces.

Not involved in the Aintree Hurdle but the Red Rum looks a tidy event. I will dutch Bun Doran and King's Socks if they turn up.

Last edited:
Back