Aintree 2018

Paul Kealy

GoingStick reading lower at Aintree now than for Becher day in December when official going was heavy. Considerably lower on Mildmay (4.0 compared to 5.0). National 3.7 (was 4.0 for Becher)

I think Mick Fitz was going on about discrepancies in the readings at a recent televised meeting. Haydock, maybe?

Anyway, we'll know more about the going after tomorrow's racing.

Min often takes a strong hold, I'd be surprised if he is as good over 2m4f as he is over 2m. At the prices I would strongly favour Balko Des Flos.

Sent from my SM-G360F using Tapatalk

Great Field won't be running at Punchestown he's a sub in case anything goes wrong with Douvan Mullins has no intentions of running both and you can take that to the bank

Can't have Brain Power after that really tough race in the Arkle.
Tizzard may well have found a race Finians Oscar can win.

Apart from Davy Russell there is no one riding better than Daryl Jacob this season
and I reckon We Have A Dream has more to fear from Mayala than Apple Shakira
Too many ifs and buts to be betting in this race.

Not even Daryl Jacob could get Bristol De Mai to win again this season. He's gone and wont be winning anything
Might Bite wouldn't be here if Nicky didn't think he'd fully recovered and considering he's got 7lbs in hand of these 5/6 looks a steal

I reckon there's still life left in the old legs and with the ground in his favour The New One can win this.
More of a sporting bet than a serious one but he does like it round Aintree.

Got my fingers crossed for Barrakilla EW this has been his target all year

Kings Socks Lay of the Day

I'd rather eat broken glass than bet in the bumper as not even the trainers have a clue how they are going to run

Last edited:
Great Field won't be running at Punchestown he's a sub in case anything goes wrong with Douvan Mullins has no intentions of running both and you can take that to the bank

Mullins will run both if he can, to collect Trainers Championship prize-money. Besides, it’s the only race left for either horse this season, and of the pair, I reckon GF is more likely to run than Douvan is.

Also, please afford the horse the respect his talents deserves, and stop putting him away as somehow inferior to the other two-milers in the yard, when it is self-evidently not the case. It’s not GF’s fault you are clueless about the form-book. :p

Last edited:
This is like history repeating itself when you told us how Our Duke was a better horse than Sizing John.

As I said at the time BS.

Now you are telling me what? Great Field is in the same league as Douvan? That really is BS he isn't within a stone of him

This is like history repeating itself when you told us how Our Duke was a better horse than Sizing John.

As I said at the time BS.

Now you are telling me what? Great Field is in the same league as Douvan? That really is BS he isn't within a stone of him

To be fair, I have not said GF is a better horse than Douvan - only that he is much, much better than the second-rater you appear to have him down as. He is almost certainly in the same league as Min as a steeplchaser, imo.

Also, I don't think I ever stated OD was a better horse than Sizing John, and figure you would do well to find any evidence of it. Besides, calling horses 'wrong' is an occupational-hazard in this game, and doesn't really invalidate opinion on the next horse, does it?

Last edited:
2imbalw.jpg

I'm surprised how much those going stick readings have improved since the other day given conditions. Even still I fail to see how a reading of 4.3 equates to soft on the National course. Going descriptions and going stick readings might as well be made up for how much use they are.

It's going to one of those fvckin days...

Erm, possibly one of those weeks. I always tend to come into Aintree with some sound reasoning and a bit of confidence and often leave patting my pockets and wondering what went wrong the only exceptions being on the rare occasion that I have the National winner.

Last edited:
Back