Aintree 2021

Random speculations:

Jason the Militant
Some Man (foxhunters)
Moon over Germany (Red Rum)
Adagio shouldn't be too far away from Monmiral in the Juvenile

No ground concerns?

Nope. Has won on Gd and G/S earlier in his career, and I think the suggestion he needs it Soft is pretty-much bogus myself. I think he has a lot less to worry about re the ground than some in the race, certainly.

Last edited:
Fair enough, looks a tough race though.

As well as my ante-post on Mister Fisher I've backed Hitman at 10/3 in the Manifesto. I love the angle of backing a Nicholls horse who missed Cheltenham up against rivals who did not.

Jeez.....I think it's an utter shi*tshow of a race..........has to be one of the weakest Aintree Hurdles I can recall.

Also keen on Hitman, tbh.

Jeez.....I think it's an utter shi*tshow of a race..........has to be one of the weakest Aintree Hurdles I can recall.

Also keen on Hitman, tbh.

I think its pretty decent - I dont like the favourite and to a lesser extent Brewingupastorm but there are a few that had squeaks in the champion if things were to go right. Now that I see it Not So Sleepy is interesting at the prices.

Used to be you would get some genuine Champions running in this, HW, but there's nothing remotely like that on show this week.

It's certainly competitive, but it lacks class for the Grade, imo.

Yeah, understood. Supasundae and Lami Serge won the last two. Maybe the days of it being the next stop for champions is gone. Abracadbras still might have pretensions.

I think its pretty decent - I dont like the favourite and to a lesser extent Brewingupastorm but there are a few that had squeaks in the champion if things were to go right. Now that I see it Not So Sleepy is interesting at the prices.

My take from elsewhere:

This race has a distinct Europa League feel to it compared with the Champions’ League fare on offer at Cheltenham and the DRF. I’m very surprised to see McFabulous head the market. He has plenty to do to justify that. Abacadabras is second favourite, which I do understand. There’s a chance we haven’t seen the best of last year’s Supreme runner-up but he also has to put a heavy fall behind him as well as prove he won’t bottle it in a tight finish. Jason The Militant is a well-supported third favourite but also has plenty to find. Brewin’upastrom is next in the betting and back in form but it also falls shy of the usual requisite for this race. Song For Someone is next and appears to have his limitations exposed. Buveur D’Air is at double-figure odds which would be very tempting. I was happy to back him for the Champion Hurdle and this is a much easier race. Behind him in the market is Silver Streak who has the ability but was beaten out of sight in this race two years ago, his only attempt at the trip. I would fancy Buzz (20/1) and Not So Sleepy (33/1) to finish ahead of plenty of those in front of them in the betting too. I’ll need to have a good think about things.

I've backed Not So Sleepy at 33/1 and will probably add BDA in due course.

Anyone else really disappointed by Tiger Roll being in tomorrow's Betfair Bowl, and the comments from O'Leary about the horse.

The comments just come across as having complete disregard for a horse who owes them nothing and is almost like a pawn being moved in a game of chess, it stinks in my opinion, comes across really badly to a lover of horses.

Worried about the watering. I've backed Mcfabulous since the drift as his form on decent ground plus guaranteed stamina means he's a lock for 4 places surely but have they watered so much it's nearer soft than good? Would also worry me re Mister Fisher.

Last edited:
Watering:

Watered - 5mm on Mildmay/Hurdle, 6mm GN Mon;

Watered 3-5mm Mildmay/Hurdle, 6mm GN Tues.

Watered 3-5mm Mildmay/Hurdle Wed.
Selectively applied 3mm to GN Course Wed evening, to maintain

Forecast: Cloudy and breezy on Thurs, brief spell of rain during the night (1-3mm). Sunny periods on Fri but remaining chilly. Cloudier Sat, with some scattered, sleety showers around (0-1mm).

Worried about the watering. I've backed Mcfabulous since the drift as his form on decent ground plus guaranteed stamina means he's a lock for 4 places surely but have they watered so much it's nearer soft than good? Would also worry me re Mister Fisher.

If the going stick readings are accurate they've overdone it.

Readings around the 5.5 mark are much more often associated with soft although I accept they can vary from course to course.

Are we allowed to comment on how easily Rachael falls off horses? For that reason alone, i believe her to be overhyped.

Pocket talking today but fell three times at chelt as well, inbetween the winners.

Back