Aintree 2021

Absolute bloodbath for me there today.

Only consolation is that I didn't have a bet in two of the races.

Well done anyone who managed to win.

I was pleased to see another proper Pointing outfit win the Foxhunters even if I didn’t back this one! The trainer is a bit of a legend and goes on another forum I frequent called Jumping For Fun....he’s extremely opinionated and regularly speaks his mind but the guy can certainly train. Even if he did fancy his other runner more.....:whistle:

This is one of them where i'd like to see the stats

I'm not using stats to arrive at this conclusion. Nor would I think that stats would tell you anything - would you need several different categories of falls/unseats. It would be interesting to find out but it is something that I noticed a while back (a year or two) but she was learning and improving. Its still in her game though.

This is one of them where i'd like to see the stats

The stats say it BS.

As a pro she has had 2775 rides as of today. She has hit the ground 127 times, 88 falls and 39 unseats.

So She ends up on the ground 4.7% of the time.

Ruby Walsh was accused of the same thing and it was equally laughable then - his figure was closer to 7%

The stats say it BS.

As a pro she has had 2775 rides as of today. She has hit the ground 127 times, 88 falls and 39 unseats.

So She ends up on the ground 4.7% of the time.

Ruby Walsh was accused of the same thing and it was equally laughable then - his figure was closer to 7%

And I never was one to suggest Ruby fell off easily. There was a period where Geraghty had a bad habit of making mistakes at the last, pre Henderson days. But if you want to hide behind the stats and not discuss it well and good. Its good that it doesnt affect her confidence.

That being said, no top class jockey falls off Jason the Militant today. RTV doing their very best to come up with an excuse today was interesting to watch.

I actually thought they didn’t overdo things with Tiger. No he’s not a G1 horse over regular fences but he was ridden “in a tender way” in my opinion. Of course he wouldn’t have won and it will be interesting to see what the handicapper does. Whether he gets the rating dropped enough to satisfy his owner. For me it was exactly what they were intending to do.

And I never was one to suggest Ruby fell off easily. There was a period where Geraghty had a bad habit of making mistakes at the last, pre Henderson days. But if you want to hide behind the stats and not discuss it well and good. Its good that it doesnt affect her confidence.

That being said, no top class jockey falls off Jason the Militant today. RTV doing their very best to come up with an excuse today was interesting to watch.

Both Ruby Walsh and AP said that there was absolutely nothing She could have done, I'll take their word for it!

Both Ruby Walsh and AP said that there was absolutely nothing She could have done, I'll take their word for it!

Of course they did. Its exactly why I raised the issue. Just because you havent ridden in a grade 1 doesnt mean you cant compare those who do. Use your eyes.

There are racing falls where horses end up on the ground - part of the game - most often its jockeys trying to win their race and asking for too much. It happens. Safer jockey isnt necessarily a better one. However, there are clear instances where jockeys fall off a little tamely, where their preservation instincts aren't as great as others. I think Eklat de Rire's unseat in the RSA was one of those but it was marginal. Have seen far worse mistakes end up with partnership intact. In that case, horse makes a mistake, usually not a race ending one, but somehow jockey doesn't stay on. Rachael almost jumps off the Eklat de Rire, both legs on one side as the horse is recovering his stride. Eklat de Rire was poor enough but could see the argument supporting her, todays was inexcusable.

As above, just because a horse falls, it isn't immediately a reflection on her, but I would be interested to know if you run your stats for the last six months, it will capture that Balko de Flos, Janidil, Captain Guiness, Eklat de Rire and Jason the Militant now have failed to complete in high profile races (of the top of my head) and compare to Paul Townend or Jack Kennedy.

Last edited:
I actually thought they didn’t overdo things with Tiger. No he’s not a G1 horse over regular fences but he was ridden “in a tender way” in my opinion. Of course he wouldn’t have won and it will be interesting to see what the handicapper does. Whether he gets the rating dropped enough to satisfy his owner. For me it was exactly what they were intending to do.

Isnt that the issue really. It was against the owners interest to contest the race properly. Kennedy did the right thing by pottering around for the horses own sake. A fourth place finish looks better than it actually was - behind Militarian until he pulled up after the second last.

Anyone interested in racing knows that todays race wasn't Tiger Roll's true form and it was never going to be his true form. He will have a hard time pretending to anyone that it is. If you win two grand nationals, expect to be near the top of the weights. Just dont kill the horse or mug off punters.

Of course they did. Its exactly why I raised the issue. Just because you havent ridden in a grade 1 doesnt mean you cant compare those who do. Use your eyes.

There are racing falls where horses end up on the ground - part of the game - most often its jockeys trying to win their race and asking for too much. It happens. Safer jockey isnt necessarily a better one. However, there are clear instances where jockeys fall off a little tamely, where their preservation instincts aren't as great as others. I think Eklat de Rire's unseat in the RSA was one of those but it was marginal. Have seen far worse mistakes end up with partnership intact. In that case, horse makes a mistake, usually not a race ending one, but somehow jockey doesn't stay on. Rachael almost jumps off the Eklat de Rire, both legs on one side as the horse is recovering his stride. Eklat de Rire was poor enough but could see the argument supporting her, todays was inexcusable.

As above, just because a horse falls, it isn't immediately a reflection on her, but I would be interested to know if you run your stats for the last six months, it will capture that Balko de Flos, Janidil, Captain Guiness, Eklat de Rire and Jason the Militant now have failed to complete in high profile races (of the top of my head) and compare to Paul Townend or Jack Kennedy.

Why are high profile races more relevant? You are doing everything to convince me that you are pocket talking. How many of the 5 have you backed?

Why are high profile races more relevant? You are doing everything to convince me that you are pocket talking. How many of the 5 have you backed?

High profile are the ones I remembered off the top of my head. I'll research more if you wish. Of course I forgot minella indo at Christmas and embittered at Cheltenham. (Popong less high profile at Christmas) I can remember Jack Kennedy falling off envoi Allen for instance.

I backed Jason the militant today.

High profile are the ones I remembered off the top of my head. I'll research more if you wish. Of course I forgot minella indo at Christmas and embittered at Cheltenham. (Popong less high profile at Christmas) I can remember Jack Kennedy falling off envoi Allen for instance.

I backed Jason the militant today.

We are miles apart on this so no point in beating our heads against a brick wall, we shall agree to disagree!

At first I thought the unseat was soft, but when I saw the overhead/head on camera angle I saw that the horse jinked right before the hurdle and jammed on.

Sent from my SM-J415FN using Tapatalk

I have to admit, I couldn't see Belfast Banter confirming the form with Third Time Lucki on today's revised terms. Have to suspect TTL didn't really run his race. Maybe had a harder time of it last month.

Irish have had one runner in each of the first two races, both won.

British hurdlers right now are fecking useless

ITV Just announced “breaking news” that the Jockey Club, following consultation announced that Grand National day WILL go ahead following the death of Prince Phillip.

Hadn’t even crossed my mind and after last year it would have been horrific if it was cancelled again.

Back