Aintree Friday

Guest_

At the Start
Menorah in the first - presume that means he won't be taking in Punchestown?

Melling Chase looks a cracker - Kalahari King, Forpadytheplasterer,Poquelin, Albertas Run, Monet's Garden, Schindlers Hunt and Jack The Giant. I thought Jack The Giant ran a big race for a long way at Cheltenham and could be interesting if not bouncing - but I think that could be a big concern coming so soon after Cheltenham. Forpadytheplasterer looks nailed on to go close in this - should be fit and fresh and the step up in trip can only suit.

Western Leaders form looks good but the different ground conditions have to be a worry for him.

Any strong fancies for the card?

I thought Jack The Giant ran a big race for a long way at Cheltenham and could be interesting if not bouncing

I don't think the bounce will be a factor here. He'd really need to have run harder for further for it to kick in. It was probably an idal prep although I need to check whether the trip tomorrow will suit.

So long as the race did not take too much out of him one would expect Menorah to scoot round here .

Alberta's Run can do it again with the ground drying out nicely.

Menorah should be 4/6 rather than the 6/4 currently on offer. On a track that should suit him better than Cheltenham it would take an almighty cock-up from Johnson to get him beaten.

I was very taken by the winning debut of Pickworth. She looked the part and travelled as well as any Milan I have seen this season. Having shown definite signs of immaturity when initially ducking in behind she recovered really well to win with any amount in hand. She races in the Marello colours and although it is asking plenty to equal that horse I think she is considerably better than a 33/1 chance tomorrow. Even if this race comes a bit too soon she will be one to watch out for over hurdles next season.

La Sarrazine can stick it up Menorah in the first - big step up but her original handicap mark was laughable and the Doncaster form has worked out well.

Knockara Beau is rattling up my league of all time favourite horses and he can emulate another, Delius, by winning the Mildmay as long as Jan Faltejsek can get him revved up early enough.

but I think that could be a big concern coming so soon after Cheltenham. Forpadytheplasterer looks nailed on to go close in this - should be fit and fresh and the step up in trip can only suit.

errr...i thought the Plasterer ran at cheltenham too? Unless Tommy Cooper can produce a bit of magic ...just like that

I think today confirmed that this is the best meeting of the year to watch...and keep money firmly in your pocket (until the big one)

I don't think the bounce will be a factor here. He'd really need to have run harder for further for it to kick in. It was probably an idal prep although I need to check whether the trip tomorrow will suit.

trip absolutely perfect.

Menorah in the first - presume that means he won't be taking in Punchestown?

Melling Chase looks a cracker - Kalahari King, Forpadytheplasterer,Poquelin, Albertas Run, Monet's Garden, Schindlers Hunt and Jack The Giant. I thought Jack The Giant ran a big race for a long way at Cheltenham and could be interesting if not bouncing - but I think that could be a big concern coming so soon after Cheltenham. Forpadytheplasterer looks nailed on to go close in this - should be fit and fresh and the step up in trip can only suit.

Western Leaders form looks good but the different ground conditions have to be a worry for him.

Any strong fancies for the card?

I'm very sweet on Jack the Giant and don't think he'll bounce - blew up when running well at Cheltenham, and the flat track should suit. I'd back him if he were 8/1 so will take 20s now and see can i get 22+ tonight/tomorrow.

I'm going to chance Washington Irving in the opener at 25/1 think he should relish the drop back in trip on a sharper track like Aintree and with the drying ground in his favour may provide a bit of a shock at 25/1.
Also a big fan of kalahari king in the melling. Not convinced he was at his best champion chase day and think the stepping up in trip will be perfect. Was at Aintree last year when he scooted up on the saturday so I know he acts on the track as well.

The Melling Chase looks a really interesting puzzle. Sure to be a decent amount of pace on with both Deep Purple and Alberta's Run likely to want to make it as stiff a test as possible and Forpadydeplasterer needing to be ridden prominently to have any sort of chance.

Kalahari King looked to be crying out for a step up in trip at Cheltenham and may be suited by the shape of the race. That said, 4.8 is plenty short enough for me. Forpadydeplasterer's credentials are rock solid but I just have it in my mind that he was below par at Punchestown last year and he's after having another very tough race at the Festival this year.

I was planning on having a decent E/W bet on Schindler's Hunt until his lacklustre run at Cheltenham. Didn't convince me at all on that occassion but I've nevertheless brought myself to back him E/W again. Not entirely sure where the value lies with regards to the rest of the market, Kalahari King being my idea of the most likely winner without striking me as any value at current prices.

Last edited:
Hi all its been a while. Looking at yesterdays thread it looks like you need a winner. I can tell you Kalahari King is very strongly fancied by connections and that will do for me and is the Nap of the day. Disagree with Rory as IC ran exactly how most connected with this horse expected. Thought it was a very bad decision. How ever do agree with Rory in the first. Good luck everyone.

Just to avoid any after timing threads in case things improve today:-

Can't see Menorah doing anything but winning easily. If he loses no doubt he will be high on a list of bookmaker favourites having previously turned over both Dunguib and Get Me Out Of Here at Cheltenham.

Still toying with backing Burton Port. Must jump better for Geraghty than he did for McCoy but he did end up having what a pretty hard race at Cheltenham. Although he is the best horse in the race he isn't very big and this might be one race too many. Hope not.

Gone with Jack The Giant so hopefully no bounce factor. Record indicates he might be better right handed but no indication of that in his jumping at Cheltenham. Drying ground a big plus.

Sided with Offshore Account and Diablo in the Topham but fully appreciate both will need plenty of luck although racing up with the pace should help. Offshore Account has jumped the fences before and should benefit from the drying ground while Diablo is more of a form selection.

If Western Leader copes with the ground there is chance he might be a class above these. Voramar Two has been very impressive but looks a potential chaser and I have a suspicion that the combination of a sharp track and drying ground may catch him out.

The handicap hurdle is a potential minefield but Carsonstown Boy looks as if he might have been laid out for it and Bob 'N' You should also appreciate the track and ground.

Still keen on Pickworth in the last. Again don't believe the Irish form is that good and although very likeable Mizzurka will probably want softer ground in a much more competitive race than last time.

I think the key for Menorah is pace - from this season, if there's plenty of it, he wins, if not he underperforms. Any thoughts on the likely pace today?

I would have thought Captive Audience and Dan Breen with Menorah sitting no worse than third. If that doesn't happen surely it is not beyond Johnson to dictate from the front?

Doncaster was too far but Ascot was a total mess.

Bookmakers are clearly flush and are trying to get both Menorah and Burton Port. Love to see both of them win.

Kalahari King looked to be crying out for a step up in trip at Cheltenham and may be suited by the shape of the race. That said, 4.8 is plenty short enough for me. Forpadydeplasterer's credentials are rock solid but I just have it in my mind that he was below par at Punchestown last year and he's after having another very tough race at the Festival this year.

I think the ground was simply too soft for him at punchestown regardless of how fresh he was he would not perform(to his best) on that ground

Anyone give Scotsirish a chance in the Topham?

Him aside, I like the Arthur Moore horse.

I really like Ogee's chances today.

Burton Port will blow-out, I reckon - Henderson's are generally useless at this meeting.

One big bet today - Phidipidipidipidieeeeeesss (However you spell it). Evan Williams says he's the best young horse he's ever had and I loved his victory over quantitativeeasing last time. Trainer's going well, he's not been overraced, should get the trip, has some of the best form on offer, to be honest I think he's a great price. I'm just annoyed I didn;t back him this morning.

quantitiveeasing ran very well at Cheltenham too.

It's the worst Grade 1 of the week as well, which should help you.

I've gone for General Miller (also had him at Cheltenham) and Washington Irving, both each way in the first. I think the former is close to finian's rainbow who ran well at Cheltenham, and the shorter trip will suit him much better. the latter is a huge price in his first run on decent ground and back over shorter. the lack of confidence in the market in Menorah is strange.

Back