Aintree Friday

That was great. Monet ran one hell of a race off of that pace, what a gutsy old fella, still sticking on at the end!

I thought Davy Russell had rode a coy race keeping off the pace but presumably he made an early mistake and could never get on terms.

Best race of Aintree so far.

I read somewhere at lunchtime that Albertas run has a timeform squiggle - I find that hard to believe and can only presume it was a mistake.

Ruby Walsh - what was he doing on Poquelin (no bet on him)? Okay, the horse wasn't travelling, but he still needs to make an effort. He seems to think he is above riding out when he's not on a winner and I was delighted to see the arrogant prat take a gentle fall!

I thought Davy Russell had rode a coy race keeping off the pace but presumably he made an early mistake and could never get on terms.

Probably - 3/4 of them really struggled jumping-wise early on so I guess FPTP did well in the end.

He actually ran better than he looked like he would for a long way - thought he was pretty sticky early on and then was hanging for much of the way.

Albertas Run really is a top horse on his day when he gets his conditions.

Great race to watch backed monets garden terrific old beast still going on after being headed,winner is becoming much more consistent cracking win.

In 14 career starts Forpadytheplasterer has not finished out of the first two - that is a pretty remarkable level of consistency given the animals he has been taking on.

He was 4th in the Ballymore Properties at Cheltenham in 2008. Nonetheless, he is incredibly consistent, albeit he finds it hard to get his head in front. That was his 8th 2nd place in his last 9 runs.

He definitely has a squiggle Hamm. Adjusted ratings for today.

ALBERTAS RUN (IRE) 176 $
FORPADYDEPLASTERER (IRE) 174
KALAHARI KING (FR) 173
POQUELIN (FR) 172
MONET'S GARDEN (IRE) 172
SCHINDLERS HUNT (IRE) 171
DEEP PURPLE 169
JACK THE GIANT (IRE) 168
OH CRICK (FR) 167
MAHOGANY BLAZE (FR) 162 x
TARTAK (FR) 154

Cheers DJ. I find that hard to believe though - yes, he's in and out, but clearly he's more of a spring horse and is certainly not a dog.

I think it's because of his inconsistency that he got it. Looks like it was awarded after his run in the Bowl last year. I'm coming round to connections view that he' better on decent ground despite his winning on soft as a novice hurdler.

Albertas Run is fast becoming my favourite horse. That's three wins on him this season at Ascot, Cheltenham and Aintree at fantastic prices.

Sorry if I've missed it, but where in your comments on this thread have you mentioned Albertas run?

I think it's because of his inconsistency that he got it. Looks like it was awarded after his run in the Bowl last year. I'm coming round to connections view that he' better on decent ground despite his winning on soft as a novice hurdler.

Think given his size his jumping is so much better over fences when on good ground - probably got away with it alright over hurdles.

I have backed Forpady and a fun bet on Oh Crick who was staying on well enough last time at Cheltenham and has performed well at Aintree in the past.

Oh Crick ran really well for a long way, and would have gone close over a little less.

Best race of Aintree so far.

I read somewhere at lunchtime that Albertas run has a timeform squiggle - I find that hard to believe and can only presume it was a mistake.

He does. He was top rated for the race, but has the dreaded squiggle. Didn't stop him being my first winner of the meeting though.

Is Imperial Commander too reliably unreliable to be considered for a squiggle?

It's an interesting point. There are definitely grounds for having one on him. Ollie Magern has one and has a similar profile to Imperial Commander.

Back