Aintree Thursday

We should have Nacarat in that race too! It will be a humdinger anyway!

PN has said (reported on the RP website) that the injury to Denman is not as bad as first thought. It's the mental scars which worry me, after today. When a horse has hard races and bad falls, and clearly wasn't up for it, nor enjoying himself for much of the race, then it can have a very negative effect.

But Denman's run today reminded me very much of KS's in the 2008 Gold Cup - he was cajoled into interest for the final 2/3rd of the race after a pretty lacklustre run, but the effort of getting him that far really told towards the business end.

KS has bounced back, maybe so will Denman, and only another summer on his back will tell the story.

PS Well done EC1! i was put off doing him e/w by the general form of the yard tbh - also the fact that MDB has had such a long season at a new level. He has really proved himself now though (and I'd like to hope Tom Scu will have fewer brickbats thrown his way too, after his exploits on Madison and Lough Dergh this season!)

Last edited:
IS

95% of this board...and punters out there..have seriously underestimated MDB...hence the price today...which I said after Cheltenham would be very nice...

I got the derision for backing MDB at Cheltenham..its all gone quiet now though :D

you there Trackside? :p

Delighted to hear you picked-up today, EC, and agree that MdB is an under-rated horse........but it's perfectly reasonable for someone to "deride" you about backing him at Cheltenham, only for the horse to leave the form behind at Aintree.

It doesn't mean you weren't wrong about Cheltenham though, does it? :cool::)

Head

I think one small problem with having two good uns like KS and Denman is that folk constantly underrate any horse that beats them..there always has to be an excuse etc

If Denman had won the last two races that MDB has won then he would be getting very large ratings...particularly if it had been he..not MDB at Kempton

its wrong imo

Delighted to hear you picked-up today, EC, and agree that MdB is an under-rated horse........but it's perfectly reasonable for someone to "deride" you about backing him at Cheltenham, only for the horse to leave the form behind at Aintree.

It doesn't mean you weren't wrong about Cheltenham though, does it? :cool::)

I agree I was wrong about Cheltenham Grass..I will say as well...that must be a first on here...someone admitting they were wrong:lol:...just kiddin....but my MAIN argument was that MDB had improved...which I hoped would carry to a course he had done poorly at before the improvement..it disn't...but it is still carrying on flat tracks obviously

Someone on here only rated MDB at 152 for Kempton .that was a joke...wonder if they will admit they were wrong now?

just like to add

I'm only joshing a bit with folk here...same as most of you do with me:p...but joking aside..today was spoiled for me by ED's unfortunate death.

I'll spend/lose my winnings as per usual...but I won't be seeing ED run ever again

Gutted for Mighty Man -possibly the only mistake he ever made in his hurdling career.
Just read about Exotic - a bad day for racing.

IS

95% of this board...and punters out there..have seriously underestimated MDB...hence the price today...which I said after Cheltenham would be very nice...

I got the derision for backing MDB at Cheltenham..its all gone quiet now though :D

you there Trackside? :p

I'm here alright, EC1.

Full credit to Madison de Berlais; he jumped like a stag virtually throughout and, whether he would have won or not had Denman completed, he ran a mighty race and proved his Kempton run was certainly no fluke.

Full credit to yourself as well, EC1. Talk about unwavering faith! Hope you made a packet.

aye cheers Track

I also thought his jumping was magnificent today

best bit for me today was a guy at work who had backed MDB at cheltenham on my advice...the fool..he did ask me though:p...he isn't a horse backer but he lost a fiver at Cheltenham ...which is a lot for a non bettor imo...and today he won 8 times that...his face in the bookies when it won was a treat..it might as well have been a grand.

I hate it when folk ask me at work for tips because I hate it when they lose.

Quite a depressing day. Awful falls in the foxhunter, hideous death in close up on the big screen at the track, Denman almost killing himself at a fence that needs seeing to, news of Exotic Dancer dropping dead.

Smallest crowd I can remember for a day at The National meeting.

I wasn't as affected by the two fatalities today, as I can be sometimes - I was more upset by Denman's fall and all that surrounded it tbh. But yes, I can imagine it must have been depressing to be on track today UG. Commiserations.

I've taken the liberty of copying UG's description of the second last on the Mildmay course onto this thread as well.

Many horses are making the same blunder at this fence since it was resited and rebuilt two seasons ago. The board infront of the ditch is very high, the ditch is wide and the fence staring. For some reason a number of horses are fooled into taking off too far back from the fence and coming down into the fence, which is what Denman did. He jumped so high that he toppled over, some of the horses that are similarly fooled crash through and paddle the fence mid-jump having changed their minds, which helps them remain upright, the fence itself is actually quite soft.

Something odd is fooling the horses at this jump and I think it is to do with the take off board.

Furthermore, standing at the fence with a someone else who rides horses we were in a agreement that we would far rather attempt to jump the adjacent last-fence-in-the-national than the open ditch on the mildmay course.

Interesting UG. I didn't see the race but seen the replay last night and couldn't believe the jump myself. I was blaming ST as i thought he showed Denman a completely wrong stride but thats makes sense what you have said. The sooner they sort it out the better!!!

Is it the same fence where Ruby and Herecomesthetruth took off too early first time round?

Back