Aintree - Thursday

Nicholls 80K ahead.
Apologies if I seem obsessed but as the skybet ad says -it matters more when there's money on it.

Their loss, as few people look on Big Bucks in a very fond way.

Not in my experience. I'm surrounded by racing fans and we all wanted Big Buck's to win today. In fact our senior management meeting was put back to 2.15 so we could watch his race.

I was at Cheltenham in January when he ran in the Cleeve and the parade ring before his race was rammed, people were on tiptoe trying to get a photo of him, he was applauded out of the winner's enclosure after the race. Just because YOU find excellence boring doesn't mean other people don't appreciate it or look on Big Buck's "in a very fond way".

Not in my experience. I'm surrounded by racing fans and we all wanted Big Buck's to win today. In fact our senior management meeting was put back to 2.15 so we could watch his race.

I was at Cheltenham in January when he ran in the Cleeve and the parade ring before his race was rammed, people were on tiptoe trying to get a photo of him, he was applauded out of the winner's enclosure after the race. Just because YOU find excellence boring doesn't mean other people don't appreciate it or look on Big Buck's "in a very fond way".

I agree with this, Cruella. I'll be sad when he retires. Big Buck's is second only to the inestimable Kauto in my heart. Apparently prior to today's race, 123 different horses had taken Big Buck's on over hurdles, and he's beaten them all. Such is his sequence now, that I'm nervous every time he runs, in case it's broken. And even though that was less likely to happen today given how far ahead he was on ratings, there's always the chance of an off day, or a fall or being brought down (as indeed Won In The Dark was).

I'm thrilled he broke Sir Ken's record.

As for the day in general, a bit of a mixed bag. Grumeti and Edgardo Sol were my winners. As usual, I totally called the Bowl wrong. Exotic Dancer aside, I have a naff record in that race.

Al Ferof is becoming such a disappointment. :(

On my way home from my first trip to Aintree. Fab day, including the weather! Only 2 winners Big Bucks (i know it wasnt worth it but first time Ive seen him in the flesh so I had to) , Cloudy Lane which was fab and a place witg Ringaroses in the last. No profit but loved it. My husband was well up thanks to Cloudy Lane and Cape Tribulation (he loves Denis). Was great to see the ex racehorses parade too and hear what theyre up to. Comply or Die in particular looked great

Very unsporting connections. Boring. He should be running Saturday but they have little ambition in them - you could at least understand it in one way if it were the flat and potential stallion fees were a factor, but they have no reason to be so unsporting. Their loss, as few people look on Big Bucks in a very fond way.

You evidently were not at Cheltenham on Thursday 16th March 2012 - there seemed to be tens of thousands of people looking on him in a very fond way.

You evidently were not at Cheltenham on Thursday 16th March 2012 - there seemed to be tens of thousands of people looking on him in a very fond way.

Agreed. I was there; post race atmosphere was electric and he got an enormous reception when he came back in.

Just back from Aintree. Best day out I've had at the races for ages, nice weather, great food (not at the track) and I came out even on the day. I got completely demolished in the Betfair Bowl again by Medermit who I am never going near from now. He didn't win and couldn't get third off the place laid Hunt Ball either. Absolute nightmare.

Back