American Successes

IS Whats your View on British and Irish trainers sending horses over for the Breeders cup? To the Arlington Million? To Hong Kong?

Already stated my opinion on previous page.

It's a shame when small trainers target this race with a early 2yo for some good prize money and to get done by an American import is disugsting, all the complaining about prize money and Ascot let this happen take A McCabe who was a neck away from wining 28k now that horse probally wont get a better chance at black type with the bettr horses coming out now. The French, Irish and English are all the same have the same priniciples, they are well connected and the targeting of each others classics have been accepted and a way of life for years and years.

I am not competing with a mob of 5 or 6 who carry the same opinion and wont be entering this thread again. baaa

Already stated my opinion on previous page.

It's a shame when small trainers target this race with a early 2yo for some good prize money and to get done by an American import is disugsting, all the complaining about prize money and Ascot let this happen take A McCabe who was a neck away from wining 28k now that horse probally wont get a better chance at black type with the bettr horses coming out now. The French, Irish and English are all the same have the same priniciples, they are well connected and the targeting of each others classics have been accepted and a way of life for years and years.

So basically its something different and you don't like it. Enough said.

Well Alan McCabe should train his horses to run faster!

In the same way Jeremy Noseda should train Fleeting Spirit to run faster.

It's that simple.

Reading what Marie McCabe has written in the Post and her sheer contempt for virtually anyone involved in British racing makes me want them to come over even more.

So British, French and Irish racing - particularly with the Classics should be a "jobs for the boys" mentality?

Should we have to run in a $50,000 10f turf allowance before we're allowed to run in the BC Turf?

Sorry - you can't run in the QEII, you have to take in the Keeneland Turf Mile to be eligible. The British and French wouldn't mind too much - they get another G1 and an extra $400k in prize money into the bargain.

You do realise that those American horses have been breed for speed for over 60 years and you expect Noseda to train a 4yo filly Fleeting Spirit with nothing of that calibure infact the dam's related to few types with real stamina to compete with the Americans, theres a reason why trainers in this country don't care about sectionals because its not wanted and its not needed as its the American way, a hole different type of ball game oh can you imagine Sir Michael Stoute training his horses based on sectionals dont make me laugh.

Thats it dont care, im not chomping at the bait anymore.

One thing about Ascot is I bloody hate the americans coming over here and nabbing prize money its a bloody scandal!. Their horses are trained different and have throughly exposed the English game for a quick buck and im absolutely gutting, I want these English hallmark races being preserved for the history of our game and its sad to see them come over and ruin the whole heritage of our Ascot 2yo races because you won't see these horses for love nor money running here again especially ones the big boys are out in August and September. I would also like to mention their attitude has been rubbish and showen no respect for our sport the jockey on the winner today almost felt sheepish to celebrate and thats saying something.

Agree 100%. And the Irish.

Well if the British trainers aren't prepared to embrace alternative training methods which have proved to be successful then they will continue to take a stuffing in races like the Queen Mary and Windsor Castle when a more forward thinking trainer comes over.

She was impressive, wasn't she EC1?

I haven't followed the Flat for a few years but have always taken an interest in 2yo fillies. I just loved the way Jealous Again quickened away from the stalls and the rest of the field in about 3 strides and just kept running.

It will be interesting to see if she trains on or, as Maythehorsebewithyou says, is burnt out before her 3yo season.

I'm becoming increasingly worried by the growing insularity in this country.
The BHB wanted ways to promote horseracing worldwide, with French, Australian & American winners this week, British horseracing is certainly being put on the map.

Redhead, she was indeed, I never thought I would see a 140 rated 2yo..now I might see two in a week :blink:

Given that these two year olds are not see as exceptional or the best in the States, and that our two year olds in recent years have done well in the States when sent over...Heart Shaped, Donativum, Westphalia, Achill Island etc on turf...what does that say for your two year old figure?

Not in anyway saying they are off or incorrect, but previously "our" two year old Turf form has held up well when travelling over to the States.

Our 2yo turf form will hold up - we're comparing apples with oranges here.

How often do we hear the trainer of a beaten horse say "she'll go to the Cherry Hinton and improve for the step up in trip"?

If you compare pure, unadulterated speed with tactical speed and stamina then over fast sprint track like Ascot on fast ground there's only ever going to be one winner.

I'm not saying that these US fillies won't be able to do something similar if they contested a fast ground Molecomb or Flying Childers but they're fully wound up for every start - it's what Wes Ward does, he's a trainer of precocious 2yos and everyone in the US knows it. Same as Stoute with older horses - he focuses on what he's good at.

They aren't the best in the US as they'll get involved in a speed duel Gal - over here there's nothing that could go with Jealous Again today (the one that attempted to did so for about 2 furlongs and finished last) and in the same way running around a bend in the US won't have helped her or Aegean either, flat and straight courses favour speed and it proved that way today.

think the last couple of posts answer your question Gal

the figures are right..others will confirm... I'm confident of that

Jealous Again ran the fastest time per mile today..faster than the Jersey and the hunt cup..thats a fact..not just on my figures.

its just a monstrous...abnormal figure

where are all you time buffs? :lol:

The guy has been totally up front and honest. They're bred and trained to be sharp as juveniles, are trained earlier over there, are more forward and the trainer has stated openly he's exploiting an advantage.

I don't recall many complaining about Paul Nicholls etc taking advantage of the weight allowance French breds were getting in novice chases for years.

Toppers off to the Americans. I like Americans and this one seems like a good guy. How many other trainers would tell you he put his strongest contender in the weakest race?

Rather annoyingly, much as I liked Scenic Blast when I saw him last week, I thought Cannonball was the one that would go close yesterday and didnt really give much consideration to the two year old! Had to fancy todays filly after that. Could be some interesting betting on the rest of them now. Dont really see the need for the hand-wringing though. We do get some blazingly fast and precocious two year olds every now and again. Three Valleys was mentioned yesterday, Lyric Fantasy, Chief Singer, Dilum looked good but was always going to be turned over by August and so it proved. Paris House another one?

That Dermot Weld, the way he went over to Australia and won the Melbourne Cup, how dare he! Twice!

Today felt like a game-changer on those lines.

Its unlikely there will be a flood of challengers. Some will be tempted by these winners and the prestige and heritage of winning at Royal Ascot and having a scone with the Queen n shit, but the prize money aint that great really for the two year old races, considering what must be a hefty outlay.

The juvenile races at Royal Ascot have been in gentle decline for some time.

As the Italian Stallion (who is striving so hard to defend the honour of British racing) has hinted, they're becoming something of a finale for the early types from smaller stables rather than giving us the first indication of who will be the champion juveniles at the end of the season.

There are exceptions, of course, but they seem to be getting less frequent.

If the arrival of the Americans makes the early and mid-season juvenile racing more competitive I'm all for it.

But will it?

You only have to look at the sorts of trainers who win the RA 2yo races to see that by the end of the year their horses have usually shot their bolt and are overtaken. Trainers like Hannon, Cole.

Back