Annie Power

they won't go for the mares unless q gets injured.

otherwise, who knows. i suspect ricci will take mullins lead and see what he wants to do, as he is the champion trainer and will probably have the best idea of how to proceed with her. an opinion of which i was lambasted for in twitterland, not least by the editor of the RP.
2 years on this still holds true. vautour going to the ryanair was the nadir of the twitter outrage, till the next one. mullins and walsh hold the cards. and with good ******* reason.

Last edited:
if you mean who cares in general about AP obviously Coolmore... but who cares if she runs? then no one yes.. Its Mullins after all, the most untrustworthy trainer that ever was.

The latter. I love the way AOB campaigns his top fillies, WPM is the polar opposite. Although the owner's wife is probably most to blame for the excessive kid gloves approach.

Last edited:
Mullins ran his 2 top mares in the same race at Cheltenham and his 4 top novice mares in the same race at Fairyhouse. Let's Dance has run 6 times this season and Airlie Beach 8 times.

Good point but they are not Quevega or Annie Power Archie. The reason Mullins doesn't /didn't run them every other week is they are way too valuable.

Quevega 2nd Foal is by the same sire as Douvan. If it has 4 legs and a tail it could esily fetch more than winning a Champion Hurdle or 3 or 4 Grade 1 with no risk

He would have run Quevega and Annie Power more if they were right, ditto Limini, but mares are different to geldings in that they have a career after racing and that career cannot be jeopardised by running if they mare isn't right. A trainer's only duty is to the owners who pay him.
With a mare, apart from prize-money, the owner would like black type to enhance broodmare status and Willie is decent at delivering that. Airlie Beach has won 6 from 8 this season including a Listed, a G3 and a G1. Apart from pocketing over £90k in prize-money, her value is now rather more than the £20k that was paid for her.

They bought a few mares last season - preparing well in advance and in reality am pretty sure they were 90% certain she would not race again over teh season just gone

Back