Annie Power

The appeal of NH over flat for many is the longevity of the horses' racing career, the fact that the race isn't over in the blink of an eye & won or lost based on which side of the track the horses was running on, and the ruggedness of the sportsman & women who risk their lives doing what they love, even though the prize money is a fraction of what flat racing offers.

Not how high the obstacles are.

and surely owning a horse that wins on the greatest stage of all can't be bettered. Ask any owner immediately after they've won any festival race whether they'd swap it for 2nd place in the Gold Cup and they'd say No. Ask a Gold Cup runner up whether they'd swap it for a win in another race and the outcome would be far from so unanimous.

One has a feeling of elation and the other mixed emotions.

Jamie Osborne being a perfect example two weeks ago; in his own words; he didn't know whether to be happy or gutted. Had he just won the Breeders Cup Turf then it's obvious which emotion he'd have been experiencing. yes the Turf is a much more coveted race than the Mare's but I bet the latter would feel like the Champion Hurdle at the time.

Last edited:
Gold cup. People remember quevega because she's a multiple winner. More people will remember sir Rembrandt than whiteoak.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quevega will be remembered more than The Giant Bolster or On His Own. But that is probably because she won it multiple times.

Maybe they have the idea they could do the same with Annie but i think it'd be a bit of a shame as I she appears to have more scope for improvement and can win the really big races whereas with Quevega I think it was one of the all time great training performances, not only in getting her ready to win the race each year (in which is was almost always her first run) but also placing her perfectly. Mullins never overmatched her and she retired a legend having never really beaten anything of note.

The appeal of NH over flat for many is the longevity of the horses' racing career, the fact that the race isn't over in the blink of an eye & won or lost based on which side of the track the horses was running on, and the ruggedness of the sportsman & women who risk their lives doing what they love, even though the prize money is a fraction of what flat racing offers.

Not how high the obstacles are.

and surely owning a horse that wins on the greatest stage of all can't be bettered. Ask any owner immediately after they've won any festival race whether they'd swap it for 2nd place in the Gold Cup and they'd say No. Ask a Gold Cup runner up whether they'd swap it for a win in another race and the outcome would be far from so unanimous.

One has a feeling of elation and the other mixed emotions.

Jamie Osborne being a perfect example two weeks ago; in his own words; he didn't know whether to be happy or gutted. Had he just won the Breeders Cup Turf then it's obvious which emotion he'd have been experiencing. yes the Turf is a much more coveted race than the Mare's but I bet the latter would feel like the Champion Hurdle at the time.

I'm an owner. I;d rather be 2nd in the Gold Cup than win the Mares Hurdle. Mind you - my horse has a ****.

Mullins said: "Annie (Power) will walk until Christmas and be checked again and then hopefully be back to full training. (There is) no fracture. Just a stress reaction."Owned by Rich Ricci, Annie Power lost her unbeaten record when second to More Of That in the Ladbrokes World Hurdle at Cheltenham in March, before bouncing back at Punchestown.
Mullins is hopeful she will return to Prestbury Park in March and has not ruled out giving her a prep run.
He said: "We hope to make it (to Cheltenham).
"If we can we will run before."

Mullins tells the Irish Times that she is fine and back riding out. The Mares race is the likely port of call at Cheltenham.

His RP article at the weekend said there wouldn't be time to get a prep race in so the Quevega route it is

She goes straight to the Festival regardless then?

I've laid at Evs for the Mares. Not sure what to think! :lol:

Surely she must have another bash at The Word Hurdle after today, Mullins hasn't got anything really for the World Hurdle and already has Glenn's Melody for the mares?

Back