AP McCoy The Legend

I really think we are getting too carried away with this. Racing is a minority sport, and this won't even register with your average Joe.

Where do you stand in the more subtle cases. For example, 'Exposed' Handicappers. Ultimately you have to lose to win. Trainers know what mark they want and will target a race accordingly. Then with form figures of 000 then bang, bag a win.
Where do we stand with that?

Last edited:
None of this matters one bit

When the public reads about instances such as barney happyface Curley and his supposedly wonderful stunt, they will think very clever but fck off and not for me

Do the world a favour Clive and think before u type.......you have no conception of how powerful the media is and how many people love it when a plan comes together.

Joe Soap has no interest in racing but his brother Dope Soap might have when he hears someone who he knows f-all about won 2 million quid.

The Jackpot 6 or whatever it's called does the same................shoves it right down peoples throats when someone strikes gold to promote the sport.

Tell someone Jim Best switched jockeys and it goes in one ear and out the other.

From Worcester yesterday where AP rode a four timer.

After being beaten on Saint Helena he told The Racing Post 'I had a beer can thrown at me'.
The guy was reportedly trying to climb the rail with AP gesturing back at him.
Security marched the guy away as the crowd applauded AP.

Last edited:
They should ban the twat from every racecourse, it's because of morons like him I cant smuggle my own beer into courses. The beer thrower that is not AP.

Do the world a favour Clive and think before u type.......you have no conception of how powerful the media is and how many people love it when a plan comes together.

Joe Soap has no interest in racing but his brother Dope Soap might have when he hears someone who he knows f-all about won 2 million quid.

The Jackpot 6 or whatever it's called does the same................shoves it right down peoples throats when someone strikes gold to promote the sport.

Tell someone Jim Best switched jockeys and it goes in one ear and out the other.

I think very clearly before I type thank you very much. The naivity referred to here by gamla is in supposing that people are somehow turned on by this rubbish. Real naivity is betting at that level of racing with seedy participants who are tearing up your bet before the off, instead of golf (perhaps) or top level football where the players involved have no licence or incentive to mess around

You may as well say that punters are drawn to the lottery as a great betting medium because someone "won 2 million" quid

And in fairness at least they know that they have an equal chance of winning rather than being up against a miserable fiddler with a face like a bulldog licking pss off a nettle.

To put it bluntly, the more racing is seen as in insiders game the more it repulses punters. Each story chips away. It's as in every walk of life, ultimately you do not buy into something you do not trust

Last edited:
there is some complete rubbish on the front of the Daily Mirror today. A purposeful hatchet job on racing about a procedure that had to be carried out by the vet. Anyone that buys that paper in future wants their head read if that's standard of reporting..a right stitch up job about the horse's career

Interesting that the horse AP lost on yesterday was the one with "stones in hand" of Best's last time out...it hadn't and scraped home then so wasn't a shrewd gamble at all when you see how much in hand it had yesterday.

Hopefully the critter that abused AP will have some really bad luck over the next few years.

Last edited:
I shall still buy the Mirror, it's the only paper that does not support the Tories.

not much difference between labour and tory these days..tories tell you they will shaft you before they do it..whereas labour do it without telling you because they probably didn't know it themselves until they did it.

i was a lifelong..proper labour supporter..not like this shower of clones we got now.

Mirror is still full of sh1t though..its not on its own..all the red tops are rubbishy crap..have been for 20 years+..the Sun was crap since day one..1969ish?

i don't understand anyone buying a red top full stop tbh..but its a free country.

I can't believe that's on the cover, have you seen the pictures inside? Shows the whole thing.
Are they going to take pictures in an abattoir next?

not much difference between labour and tory these days..tories tell you they will shaft you before they do it..whereas labour do it without telling you because they probably didn't know it themselves until they did it.

i was a lifelong..proper labour supporter..not like this shower of clones we got now.

Mirror is still full of sh1t though..its not on its own..all the red tops are rubbishy crap..have been for 20 years+..the Sun was crap since day one..1969ish?

i don't understand anyone buying a red top full stop tbh..but its a free country.

Agree completely

Tony McCoy has nominated 2012 Betfred Cheltenham Gold Cup hero Synchronised as his favourite mount during his illustrious career.

The Jonjo O'Neill-trained runner outstayed his rivals at Prestbury Park to land the blue riband for McCoy's employer JP McManus but his next run in the Grand National resulted in tragedy as he fell early in the race and suffered a fatal injury when running loose.

McCoy told BBC Radio 5 Live: "The mother of Synchronised, Mayasta, was my first winner for JP in 1996 and Synchronised gave me the greatest day in racing. JP spent his whole life trying to buy a Gold Cup horse, and his wife bred one for him.

"He was a bit like I am as a human being. He probably wasn't the greatest horse I'd ridden, but he had the greatest will to win.

"As a jump jockey I've seen the human side of horse racing be really tough, but in equine terms what happened to Synchronised (suffered a fatal injury in the 2012 Grand National) was the worst day I've had in racing.

"When he fell I can distinctly remember him galloping off. I remember being in pain but thinking at least the horse is all right. Afterwards when he was loose he managed to get injured.

"I was very sore, but I cried for days afterwards. That affected me more than any other horse.

"It's personal and that's why he's number one."

McCoy placed Don't Push It, who finally ended his National hoodoo in 2010, as his second favourite horse while triple Gold Cup hero Best Mate, who the rider partnered to King George VI Chase glory, was third.

The Paul Nicholls-trained duo Big Buck's and Master Minded were partnered by McCoy on a handful of occasions but they both featured on his top 10 along with Well Chief, Baracouda, Cyfor Malta and Like A Butterfly.

The list also featured Gloria Victis, winner of the 1999 Feltham Chase and the 2000 Racing Post Chase for Martin Pipe.

The novice subsequently tackled the Gold Cup at Cheltenham but he had to be put down after breaking a leg two fences from home - an incident that still weighs on McCoy's mind.

"We had a decision to make whether to run in the Sun Alliance Chase or the Cheltenham Gold Cup," he said.

"He had been working extremely well. I agreed with the decision to run him in the Gold Cup. He was after beating seasoned chasers. Sadly he got fatally injured. If he hadn't got injured, I think he would have won.

"That's one of the toughest things about the sport when you see a horse like that with so much potential - horses you dream about.

"It's a tough thing to take. I didn't ride after that at Cheltenham that year. I can remember that night after the Gold Cup crying because I thought he was a superstar. You find it very hard to get over.

"I still think about Gloria Victis now and it's 15 years since I rode him".

I was surprised Make A Stand and Mr Mulligan didn't feature when I read it last night - especially when he included Best Mate, Master Minded and Big Buck's in his list, and how infrequently he rode them.

I think he's probably being kind to JP, to be honest. It all came across as a bit of a half-arsed, hybrid "Best/Favourite Horses I Rode" piece.

The day he rode Valiramix must still haunt him too, watching him trying to get the horse to his feet, don't think I have ever seen him so upset.

I may be miles off here; I often am. However, I remember when the news of AP retiring made this forum and people talked about his next role being "shocking" and big news being in the offing. Given his words after the win on Beg To Differ on Saturday, effectively stating Magnier/Smith etc had bought the horse after he'd marked him down as a nice prospect, could this be AP's new role? There has long been speculation about JoB switching to NH and AoB has been having more and more jumpers pass through his care in recent months.

Just a thought...

So JP is going to kick Jonjo out of his home and replace him with man with no track record:blink:

Jonjo and JP have been friends for years and there's no one more loyal to his friends than JP so unless Jonjo were unfit through bad health or something there's no chance of him going any time soon.

Not only did Jonjo save JP's bacon when he rode Dawn Run to win the Gold Cup he's fulfilled JP's lifelong ambition of winning the Champion Hurdle (AOB) by adding the Grand National and the Gold Cup.
2 races AP would never had won if it were not for Jonjo.

They may well have discussed the possibility of AP becoming Jonjo's assistant with a view to taking over when Jonjo retires who knows?
He'd be a huge asset to the yard in some ways but I doubt if AP would want to go that way.

He comes a cross as very much his own man and if he were to turn to training he might want to go out on his own and if successful then possibly take over at Jackdaw when Jonjo decides to retire.

Jonjo didn't just walk in to Jackdaw raw he started at Skelton on an old farm and had already trained 3 Chelteham winners for JP before Jackdaw came up.

Another thing AP would have to consider if going that route is he is over 20 years JP's junior and JP may not have a quarter as many horses in 5 to 10 years time as he has now.

You've got completely the wrong end of the stick and you're not interpreting what I'm saying correctly. Did I say JP was going to kick Jonjo out? Read the second paragraph of what you've written and think backwards and you might get somewhere near.

Back