Arlington Saturday

chroniclandlord

Senior Jockey
Cape Blanco ( Jamie Spencer ) goes for the Arlington Million while Treasure Beach ( Colm O'Donoghue ) goes for the Secretariat Stakes.

Surprised that this is the route that they're taking with Treasure Beach.

9/4 Cape Blanco
4/1 Gio Ponti
5/1 Wigmore Hall
9/1 Tajaaweed
10/1 Mission Approved
12/1 Zack Hall
14/1 Rahystrada
25/1 Deans Kitten
25/1 General Perfect
66/1 Proceed Bee

Jamie Spencer said on ATR Get On today that he sees no reason why Gio Ponti should reverse the form. He said Gio Ponti can only be ridden one way and he can ride his horse to beat him.

Treasure Beach looked like a horse who'd had enough racing LTO, I'd be looking to oppose him in this (if there's anything to oppose him with!).

I can't find the exact conditions for the race, but it appears Treasure Beach and three others are giving 4lbs to the field? Weird for a G1.

Edit: Found them:

WEIGHT: 126 lbs.

Non-winners of $100,000 twice at one mile or over in 2011, allowed 3 lbs.; $100,000 once or $60,000 twice at one mile or over in 2011, 5 lbs.; $60,000 once at one mile or over in 2011, 7 lbs. (Maiden and Claiming races not considered.)

Clear as mud...

Treasure Beach and CB run on Lasix ...the former for the first time.

Wigmore Hall on Lasix too .. Good luck to Haley Turner. The media will surely make it big news about her riding in the race.

Its a brave move laying a horse of TB's class against Saturdays opposition.He has operated at a different level.
Having said that it's usually possible to lay these types at slightly under the odds close to the off.

I was there a few years ago for a couple of the smaller midweek meetings. It was all very pleasant, but finding accommodation was not easy and we ended up staying some distance away.

Arlington Friday - tonight

Race 8 - No.6 Peyote Patty - trainer has three in the race including the fav - been told this one is fancied.

Treasure Beach is plenty short enough at 6/4, the French horse Ziyarid looks progressive and I'd probably be backing him EW with a saver on Banned who has some nice Beyer figs in his form and is a touch above your average middle distance American turf three year old.

I'm slightly surprised Treasure Beach isn't odds on. I suppose he would have been but for the Longchamp run.

On the other side of the coin, shouldn't Cape Blanco be even shorter for this than 2s? The opposition here is even weaker and he's absolutely top class over 1m2f on turf.

The Yanks are talking Gio Ponti up again and he always goes off short over there. May have a decent wager on Cape Blanco if the Tote is looking like it's going to favour Gio Ponti.

Just my opinion, but Cape Blanco isn't "absolutely top class" at any distance, though he's probably better at further than 10f.
He did manage to grind out a win in the Irish Champion, against a RVW who was incommoded by the softening ground and an out of sorts Twice Over, but this is a furlong shorter than his Belmont win, and over a much sharper track.
Confident lay, if I did such things.

Can't believe Treasure Beach will be quick enough over this trip either, and Banned - who posted a seriously good 10f time lto, ought to have too much toe for him.

Back