Arse Cup

High class performance by Zoey for the 2.50 Leicester.

In her preview just before the off she suggested that there was a lot of dead-wood in the race and horses 10 to 16 could be discounted.

As us geriatrics know if you make a statement like that it will come back to bite you.

Result read

First Number 10
Second 14
Fourth 15.

Oh! how we laughed

In fairness to the young lady, she admitted to getting egg on her face straight after the race and amassed a number of brownie points as far as I am concerned.

She is the worst presenter on ATR, and that takes some doing.

Yet she somehow has confidence in her racing knowledge, eventhough her analysis consists of reading the RP spotlight, and saying that the front three in the market have a chance.

But fair play to her for eating humble pie after the race and highlighting the fact that she'd made a gaffe.

My confidence in Ms Bird's abilities has never been high -- ever since the early days of ATR when she was reading out a list of runners and pronounced Poitiers "poy-tears".

But she's not the only racing presenter who has got me wondering how on earth they got the job.

I have to nominate the two gimps who present "KPTV"; Kempton Park TV. It is dire, they are dire and they won't ever shut the hell up! Anthony Kemp only ever tips up the jolly and his porky mate is enough to make you want to scream. Both of them love the sound of their own voices and boy, do they grate!

I can't for the life of me remember his name Colin - but he's horrendous. In fact the pair of them are horrendous - and they think they're hysterical, cracking hugely un-funny jokes all the time. They are infamous at Kempton - everyone groans when the volume is cranked up and those chimps come on before every race. I swear to God they're even flirting with each other half the time! :nuts:

I heard that on Saturday they got the arseache as someone banged on their glass box, told them they were crap and to shut up! Made a lot of people's day, that did!

Totally off topic, Shads, but after the abandonment of Catterick this afternoon, RUK showed highlights from past Cheltenhams and I saw your namesake win his race (Supreme Novices?) ...................damn, he was bloody impressive.

Wasn't he just?!

The crowd in the Wantage Ladbrokes were rather amused to hear the racket coming from the corner when he won, followed by a few "ah, I see Egerton's staff are in and backed him...." !! :D

Sporting Life radio commentaries have to be heard to be believed. You've basically got two opinionated braggarts stuck in a shed somewhere who just spend hours point scoring off each other whilst simultaneously it seems, conducting a series of personal vendettas with their email correspondents. It's car crash radio at its very worst.

And Shadow Leader appears third on my historical list fwiw (going back to 1996)

Originally posted by an capall@Mar 1 2008, 06:53 PM
Did any of my countrymen listen to the commentary on the 3.20 at Navan on RTE Radio 1?
Fortunately not by the sound of things but please do elaborate, I’m rather a fan of horror. :D

I thought Tommo hit new heights with a triple-whammy in the few brief moments I caught of the ML.

Firstly he said he called his guest 'Happyaslarry', then there was another which escapes me for the moment and then he referred to Peter O'Sullevan as 'Pedro'.

Originally posted by an capall@Mar 1 2008, 06:53 PM
Did any of my countrymen listen to the commentary on the 3.20 at Navan on RTE Radio 1?
I did An Capall.

Liam Nash woeful commentating, and whoever summed up afterwards equally bad. I'm guessing it was a one off attempt. its hard to fill the substantial boots of Peader Flanagan or Peter o'hehir.

For those in the dark, he commentated (badly) on the gamble being landed on James Barretts Touts le Table,who he called home excitedly from a long way out.

Touts le Table was 12th. Golden Empire won.

Thompson on today's Morning Line, talking in the aftermath of yesterday's storm: "all we're going to have to do today is rehouse a few hospitality clients."

We.

John Francome....standing on the course while the rain is pissing down...."no excuses for any horse today based on the ground"....for fu@k sake!!

I do swap back to C4 for Simon Holts commentary. Couldn't do it for the Cross Country race...let me get the classic from Cattermole "Garde Champetre losing his place"...only because the jockey is choking him because he is travelling so well!

Back