Arse Cup

Chaparse excels himself, after Llab Nala won at Bath he started rambling on about the fact that Mick Channon wouldn't want to lose the horse because it was named after his great mate, Alan Ball. Started talking about Alan Ball wouldn't be too pleased if he found out that the horse had been let go, talking about Bally as if he was still alive. Then he went quiet for a very long time for him, let's say 20 seconds, during which time someone obviously had a word in his ear and he then referred to the fact that Ball had died fairly recently and that he would be keeping an eye on things from up there!!!!!!

I think he has deposed Thommo.

it's really hard to believe that someone who works in the sport industry didn't know that Alan Ball had died, in fact Chapman must be one of the few people in the whole country that didn't know..a proper doughnut isn't he?

Benefit of the doubt - did he mean Sadlers Wells?

Francome being unable to read New Approach's form properly was a joke, mixing up the Railway and National Stakes.

Fortunately I'm not watching,but if the thread on betfair is anything to go by then it would appear that he is indeed showing true 'arse' class this morning.

"We'll take a break" ......(cuts to shot of low sun)..... "And I do know that when the sun comes out at Wincanton its makes commentating very difficult on the back side". - Lesley Graham

Never a truer word spoken Lesley

Followed up with "and Dougie Costello timed his run to perfection" - he blatantly mistook where the winning line was, stopped riding, and got extremely lucky!

Edit: and a minute later says "he won't ride many better finishes than that"

Good God...

I have to say, I agree with Gareth on that one and did consider a quick follow up post, as Dougie clearly took the crosswalk for the finish line and stopped his drive the moment he met it, in what was clearly an ill-judged piece of riding that came close to landing him a lengthy ban. Lesley thought that he "wouldn't ride a better finish in his life though" :eek:

That sun sure makes commentating difficult on your back side Lesley

Surely Brian Gleeson deserves special award for his RTE interview yesterday with Ray Rooney, the owner of Sky's The Limit - a previous co-owner was killed in a helicopter clash and after Rooney spoke of this, Gleeson offered the gem that the horse was appropriately named

Excellent commentary blunder on C4 by Cattermole. A mighty shock here as LEVANTINE and Mike Lurcock takes it up ... erm, that looks like Mick Fitzgerald and Khyber Kim !! I think someone told him halfway up the run in !

I was on Khyber Kim and can not believe Cattermole was calling another horse, it was quite clear it was Fitz the rider and being one of the favorites this was quite a big mistake.

What a shambles, two horses carrying completely different colours well clear, and he still can't work it out.

Cattermole is really not up to commentating. Didn't hear an apology from him either.

That was incredible wasn't it! As if you can't tell Fitz's body shape a mile off
And never an apology...

The lack of an acknowledgement just hints arrogance in my opinion. If I'd cocked up like that, and suddenly altered a call (and lets be honest, he was doing it for some 2 to 3 furlongs - does no one tell him?) I'm sure I'd have held my hand up and laughed at myself with an apology to those who I'd misled.

I was moderately interested by the reaction of the Ch4 associates too, their silence was deafening. See no, hear no, speak no.

It wasn't solely a Ch4 commentary, it was the track one too.

Apparently Levantine touched something daft like 1.1 in running with barely a penny for Khyber Kim after Cattermole had incorrectly called it for the duration of most of the straight, even saying that a shock result was going to be landed here!

At least one oncourse bookie lost a packet not only on his fieldbook but betting in-running on the race to try and balance it up, so I was told.

That is shocking. To be honest that angle never even occurred to me, which makes Cattermole's mistake all the more unforgivable as indeed Ch4's conspiracy of silence in not even acknowledging his stupidity. The thing is, he persisted with for such a long time.

I can forgive Mike "The Cat" Cattermole for the commentary blunder. It's not exactly a hanging offence is it? We all make mistakes don't we?

In his defence, the winner was in similar colours to Levantine and Leventine had been prominent throughout - so I can see where he went wrong.

Anyway, of greater interest to me from an Arse viewpoint was his comment on The Morning Line today that Jamie Spencer is; "a great ambassador for the sport".

Perhaps "The Cat" has forgotten about Spencer's 10 day ban for non-trying on Mickmackmagoole.

Back