Arse Cup

Cattermole has been this bad for the past 7-8 years, Holt is also on the way down. To be honest, his decline hasnt been as quick as I thought it would be.

C4 never apologised for GG or DT. Why start now?

On one of my rare forays into the Betfair Forum - a long time ago now - I stumbled accross a up-and-coming Richard Hoiles apologising for a wrong call, that most of the forum dwellers didnt spot.

Cattermole gets it wrong on a regular basis I have heard him confidently call the result of amazingly close photo finishes only to end up with egg on his face.
Brin Gleeson came out with a classic during the week when told that the the joint owner of Skys The Limit had been killed in a helicopter accident he said STL was an apt name -what a prick.

I never thought I would say it but please Tracy Piggott come back ASAP!! Brian Gleeson interviewing is crashcar tv....Tracy barely remembers the name of the jockey, horse or indeed her own name but God nothing is as bad as Brian in full "punters pal" mode...

Gleeson really believes that all the punters back every favourite and his replacement in the betting ring isn't much better.

O'Grady was ready to tell him to f@ck off at one stage during the week when he kept pressing him "the punters back home want to know" if the horse will win etc etc...needless to say he didnt take the hints.

While the piece they did on race timing was bizarre. Yep in an ideal world on Stephens day the Leopardstown races shouldnt clash with Kemptons but bringing the Irish races forward is not what RTE themselves want!!

Ted Walsh was emphatic that the result of the 3.10 at Leopardstown on Friday wouldn't be over-turned. RTE went off air before the stewards decision was announced. When the programme opened on Saturday he spent the first few minute profusely and unreservedly apologising for his error. Class is permanent.

Ted Walsh is anything but class. Time and time again he will rant about things that he has absolutely no clue on. If he had to apologize on air for every mistake or incorrect rant they would need to extend the programme by a good 45 minutes.

Originally posted by Shadow Leader@Dec 29 2007, 05:10 PM
It wasn't solely a Ch4 commentary, it was the track one too.

Apparently Levantine touched something daft like 1.1 in running with barely a penny for Khyber Kim after Cattermole had incorrectly called it for the duration of most of the straight, even saying that a shock result was going to be landed here!

At least one oncourse bookie lost a packet not only on his fieldbook but betting in-running on the race to try and balance it up, so I was told.
I find it difficult to feel sorry for people who are prepared to risk money on something they aren't seeing with their own eyes.

No Colin, he didn't.

I agree with you to an extent DO but it was very hard to see what was going on - the screens weren't showing a clear picture and even with bins you can't see the home turn at Newbury clearly enough to pick out horses with very similar colours. Don't forget the oncourse bookies are hedging and often trying to turn around their fieldbook. They're used to doing so on a daily basis and aren't just doing it for the fun of it - they will have seen the horses and the red colours on the big screen (so hardly betting blind), heard the commentator call it wrongly but will have assumed that with better facilities the commentator will have known which horse it was. They wouldn't have any reason to assume that the horse they are watching (yes, with their own eyes) on the big screen isn't the one the commentator is calling.

Originally posted by Galileo@Dec 30 2007, 02:58 PM
Ted Walsh is anything but class. Time and time again he will rant about things that he has absolutely no clue on. If he had to apologize on air for every mistake or incorrect rant they would need to extend the programme by a good 45 minutes.
But isn't that the fun of listening to him

Mike Cattermole, commentating at Newbury and for Channel 4 Racing, made a horrendous gaffe in the 2m1⁄2f introductory hurdle when he mistook eventual winner KhyberKim for 150-1 shot Levantine halfway up the straight. Unsurprisingly, the error caused carnage in the in-running markets.
The confusion occurred at the second-last when Khyber Kim and Theatre Girl surged clear of the field. On several occasions Cattermole said Levantine was winning the battle with Theatre Girl, when it was Khyber Kim. It was not until well after the last that he correctly called Khyber Kim as the horse in front.
Levantine, well beaten when he fell at the second-last, was matched at a low of 2.12 in the win market but greater damage was done in the place market, as £3,031 was matched on the ten-year-old at 1.01. It was not Cattermole's finest hour, but all commentators get it wrong from time to time and when there are TV cameras to help, punters have only themselves to blame when something like this happens.

Originally posted by Shadow Leader@Dec 30 2007, 07:06 PM
I agree with you to an extent DO but it was very hard to see what was going on - the screens weren't showing a clear picture and even with bins you can't see the home turn at Newbury clearly enough to pick out horses with very similar colours.
I'd head in the opposite direction but then I don't consider myself (rightly or wrongly) a gambler. If visibility was so poor, I'd be even less inclined to trust someone else's vision.

Note to self when dressing tomorrow: don't forget the belt and braces. (Now I'm likely to forget my trousers.)

Indeed.

Tommo talking to Gay Kellaway after Fajr’s win. The truly dreadful amateurish way to link a promo after a brief chat (and shame on the producers too). Utterly horrendous to leave her bemused in that fashion for a cheap ad. Then after the excruciating ‘interview’ with a stallhandler just because they were female.

Where the hell did they dig him out of.

Oh yes the "womans touch" as he kept going on about.I liked his line today,"Gay Kelleway,who tells me she used to be a good jockey" and his interview with Kirsty Milszarek while she was unsaddling,getting in everybodys way instead of just standing back until shed spoken to connections.He must have thought it was ladies day with all his interviews today.

I had to drag prize-chump Puke Harvey away from connections after a race at Ascot yesterday as he seemed to think they were standing there with the horse waiting to be asked stupid questions ( sorry I almost put interviewed) rather than having their photogaph taken with their winner.

Originally posted by Galileo@Jan 23 2008, 05:43 PM
Jim McGrath today commentating...."and Georgie's Boy jumped that much better"....err no he unseated the jockey!!!
At least he noticed the horse, which is more than the commentator on Betfair radio did - about four from home he was musing "...we seem to have lost Georgie's Boy somewhere along the line, it must have happened off camera..." There had been 1000 against the horse's name for about 4 minutes by then

Was Francome pissed today:

He called Walsh on Denman and i can`t for the life of me find a horse called Swiss Magic in the QM.

Back