Arse Cup

Credit is due to Stewart Machin at Donny yesterday. He immediately grasped the significance of the yellow flag in the void race. This was in marked contrast to a substantial number of the jockeys riding in the race.

Stewart seems a pretty astute fellow, who perhaps because of his quieter nature (well, on screen, anyway - I've no idea about him off), doesn't get the plaudits he deserves for his solid coverage as a presenter and good calling skills.

Dessie today, saying GOINFORPORTER had fallen, when all the horse had done was prop a bit. His jockey fell off, which is quite a different matter. I wish he'd stop saying the horse has fallen every time he sees silks rolling around on the ground - it probably unsettles connections until they see their beloved galloping on (and the dear horse did manage 3rd, albeit riderless), and it's a nonsense call.

Dessie just repeats the horses' names in the order they are currently racing, without offering any insight whatsoever.

Anyone could do that - he's rubbish.

Look, Colin - an unsolicited note of support for what I've been saying about Dessie for yonks! (Thank you, BennyB, the tenner's in the post.) Unfortunately, that's exactly what Dessie does - although recently he has occasionally brightened things up by remembering to indicate the odd faller and even, for a special treat, tell us who it was by the time the field's nearly gone round again. Nope, he's just not much of a caller - I think he belongs in a very distant past beyond any of our memories, when all a caller had to do, or was expected to do, was tell you the roll call. We do expect more sophistication in calling, just as we expect more insights, analyses, and input into the sport through its assorted boffins, journalists, presenters, and interviewers.

I did not know that Thommo was asked to act as a go-between during the Shergar kidnap. The entire episode makes so much more sense now.

:blink:

:lol:

(Affecting cod inner Du accent): "Hallo dere, big fellers! Now, what's this Oi hear about you borrowing old Shergar for a bit, eh? Hoh-hoh-ho... surely not? No, I said, it can't be true. He'll cost a fortune to feed, for a start. But look, before we get on with the serious stuff, I wonder if I can run my fees past you for this lark? Counting travel expenses, having to buy my own meals, the telephone, and missing out on at least three after-dinner speeches, it'll be around the £500,000 mark. How's that sound to you, big fellers? Hallo? Hallo?"

Well, the end of the year is rattling on apace. Isn't it time to vote for who's won this year's Cup? It's a competitive field, with newcomers as well as dour old stayers this year, with solid representation across the board from Ireland as well as the UK. Tommo has been the annual favourite for many, but he's been a bit out of condition this year with his health, so hasn't given his usual true showing. Perhaps it's time the crown passed to a younger pretender?

Surely not, with the slaggings-off Graham Goode's had? I thought that he'd made a lot of progress, according to his detractors, and was likely to storm to the front in the final quater-mile.

Just noticed your signature line, del boy - love it! And I guess a number of us on here know a horse just like that!

What's the obvious 'arse' reason? That his name ends in 'roid'? And his sister's called Emma... okay...

The Morning Line was abysmal today.

40 mins on the KG
2 mins on the Xmas Hurdle
15 mins on other bollox
0 mins on the Leopardstown card

Thommo awas under the impression that Kauto Star was rated about 167. I must ring his tipping line one day.

I meant to post that last part. Incredible.

Crazy so much chat about golf and Francome's hair yet not a word about the Feltham, or Leopardstown as you mentioned.

I know the morning line has to give time to big races like the king george but it would have been good to hear opinions about the feltham and a couple of handicaps at wincanton and leopardstown this nonsense chat about golf and tanias designer boots gets on my wick, thommos back to his pain in the backside best again.

Sky News are running a great little story about Kauto Star creating history by winning his fourth King George; the voiceover to which taking place over bizarre footage of a random bay horse being held by a grinning goon. Neither of which are Kauto Star either.

Back