Arse Cup

There should be more booing on racecourses. It's a perfectly acceptable way of making your views known and I suspect the discomfort and embarrassment it causes the recipient is a much more effective deterrent against future repetition than a ban.

I'd agree with this. They are professional sportsmen who are paid to do a job. I don't agree with booing amatuers and apprentices but Geraghty is at the top of his profession and shouldn't be making schoolboy errors like that.

A negative reaction from the public is likely to be as powerful, if not more so than a ban.

Not like the good old days when any performance deemed below par, be it operatic, dramatic, or whatever - would've resulted in a hail of eggs and squashed tomatoes! And, on the bright side, at least he wasn't riding in any of the South Americas, where it seems quite likely he'd have been shot by some enraged pistolero for his gaffe!

Time to make room on this thread for some of NH starters, a couple of races at Ascot were poor, inlcuidning the bumper where the winner was allowed to get a head start but not as bad as at Carlisle today.

Cinaman, who refused to race last time was badly behaved at the start again and looked like charging the tape. What happens? His bad behaviour gets rewarded withe the starter releasing the tape, letting the horse steal a good 10/12 lengths advantage and it subsequently made all.

If I was an owner or trainer of one of the opposition I'd have been furious.

Yeah agree with that DJ. I laid the horse due to his previous antics but was amazed at the start as this lowly weighted one got a flyer. I soon backed the horse to cover,what turned out to be, a bad lay. It looked like the others were expecting a false start,has I was, and then he just let him go,ridiculous!

Agree with you DJ - and a starter the other day who decided that a horse was a NR despite being asked to line up with the others, having an assistant starter behind him waving a whip at the horse and not telling the jockey to take the horse away.

The bumper at Ascot was particularly bad - and all the jocks seemed to play "after you sir!" as well in letting Lee get such a head start and not try catching him.

Chapman reading out an email on ATR:

"Can't get excited about Frankie riding his first winner at Santa Anita, the credit should go to the jockey he's jacked off"

Cecil said of the Khalid Abdullah-owned Twice Over: "He's run the best race of his life and just met a great filly."
Teddy Grimthorpe, Abdullah's racing manager, added: "It was the first time on that surface for him and he travelled well and ran on really gamely.
"We will certainly look at Dubai after this and consider a shot at the World Cup. As for Hong Kong, I'm not so sure."
Murtagh said of Rip Van Winkle: "He's got a huge stride on him and I didn't really want to break it.
"I was four horses wide but I got in and was in a lovely position but at the four pole I knew my fate.
"He was hanging a little bit left and I think a hard year might have left its mark on him. For me he is a miler."

Do you detect a bit of annoyance from Murtagh about Rip running in the classic there?

Do wonder whether Ballydoyle's obsession with the Classic stopped them from considering the more obvious race for Rip, the Mile.

Rishi deserves an honourable mention for asking Jamie Moore if he thought Dev would be a National horse (about 2 seconds after Jamie had stated that the horse was a 2 miler).

Jamie's reply was that the horse wouldn't stay the trip in an aeroplane.

Oh, but he saved the best for later. "So, Mick - when you say that a horse is enjoying itself jumping these fences, what do you mean?" ???!?!?!?!!!!!!! For God's sake, is there any point at all in this idiot?!?!?

The point of him is that many middle-aged women with unmarried daughters would like him for a son-in-law. Not unlike half the Channel 4 team.

Back